Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duty Designation screen for when immigrants reports in  (Read 1109 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Duty Designation screen for when immigrants reports in
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

When immigrants arrive I generally assign them to whatever needs workers. That is, cheesemakers are put to cutting wood or whatever.

What I would like is a screen when immigrants arrive where I can quick-assign them to whatever. This would alleviate the sort of necessary nuisance that immigrants currently are.

As an extension, this (type of) screen could cover and be used to quick-assign all dwarves, but that would require some king of filtering and/or sorting capabilities in the interface.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Duty Designation screen for when immigrants reports in
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

For what it's worth, immigrants are somewhat easy to tell on the unit list since they all come with "no job".  Of course, if you're running a slacker fortress, that's not much help.  But then, you might not be trying to give all the immigrants jobs...

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:02:00 am »

This would help a lot.

I have to make sure to re-assign immigrants the very moment they turn up and stop whatever project I'm working on at that moment just so that I can re-assign them the moment they get onto the map.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

Yeah. In order to tell my normal dwarves from the new comers, I end up nick naming everyone. Which is ok, but I really like the idea of a job designation screen. It'd be even better if you could give dwarves priorities on it. Like, tell a dwarf to do carpentry unless there are no jobs/wood, then go cut wood, then gather plants, etc. basically just a work importance system per dwarf.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One