Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Extinction fix  (Read 1025 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Extinction fix
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:26 am »

Heya guys, need some help with one of my fortresses. I decided that making an exotic animal farming fortress would be a fun game.

So I started up, and between cage traps and my hunter, everything stopped spawning within a few years. (max 5 years, probably less). And while I have a few mating pairs, a lot of more interesting animals were only there for a few moments and are now gone and not respawning.

I've read that this is a feature/bug thing, but I've not seen any way to work around it or to reset the animal spawning short of reclaiming. And that's extremely messy and all my dwarfs would die running around picking up pigtail socks with wild animals around.

What I want to know is how do I increase the respawn of animals if I can? Is there a mod that will do it and make them keep comming? Can I edit a raw somehow. The meat industry as it's called from the wiki sounds like a lot of fun, but with the animals all dying before I can get many breeding pairs, it takes away some of the enjoyment of it.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Extinction fix
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:39:28 am »

I think you can increase the population numbers in the raws, but I don't really know how (or if) that works. Best to ask about it in the modding forum.

As far as non-mod solutions, well you can buy more exotic animals from the elves as they offer them, and order mundane ones like cows from the humans and dwarves. I don't think there is any way (other then reclaiming) to get them to start spawning again.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!