Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tarn Adams confirmed to have a rare, acute form of autism.  (Read 8529 times)

RadioCarbon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tarn Adams confirmed to have a rare, acute form of autism.
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »

Subjects of this particularly potent strain of autism typically have grand ambitions of inhuman proportions and as so, I think it's safe to say that Dwarf Fortress will never be finished. Several years from now, Toady will still be in his basement, hunched over his Cheeto stained keyboard, nearing completion of a new feature that simulates and follows the growth of each hair from every follicle on your dwarves head, allowing for intensely realistic beards from the lowliest worker's stubble to the mightiest dwarven king's majestic goatee. Flash forward to Toady's deathbed, and we see a malnourished old man using his last ounce of strength and breath cursing the fact that in his lifetime he was not able to finish mapping the genome of the dwarven race.

:'(

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Tarn Adams confirmed to have a rare, acute form of autism.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:05:17 pm »

Well that's an unnecessarily depressing post.

The concept of solo game designers and autism was brought up in the Various Nonsense board a while ago, though, and you might actually find it an interesting read.

If you're going to consider game design obsession to be a sad thing though, at least be sad over the designers that stopped working on their games and felt bad about not being able to continue.  DF is still going strong.  Noctis, not so much, for example.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RadioCarbon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I didn't shed a tear out of pity, I teared at the realization that as a result of Toady's godly ambitions, Dwarf Fortress may never be released in a completed form.

:'(

On the topic of Noctis, while the project appears to be dead (since it's been several years since the update), I still have faith... I think I'm going to go lay down...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

I'm still waiting for JADE.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »

This seems kind of... impolite. You're talking about someone as if that person can't pull up the thread and read it any time he wants.

What makes you so certain that, just because someone has grand ideas for a game, someone is autistic?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I read something such as this about myself, it would seem to me that the community didn't deserve another release.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:59:31 pm »

I never get tired of hearing that driven goals and attention to detail are symptoms of brain damage.  What a wonderful society we are that we believe being smart means your brain must be broken.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:07:47 pm »

Ummmm, when did he ever say this/linkage please?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:30:39 pm »

He he he, well, this thread is garnering moderator reports left and right.  I guess I'll lock it before things get out of hand.  The Cheetos guess was a miss.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!