Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to keep drinks up without micro-management?  (Read 3256 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
How to keep drinks up without micro-management?
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:10:02 pm »

Started my first fortress that didn't suck the other day. Starting fourth year and doing really well, but it's starting to get annoying telling the stills to make drinks every five seconds. Is there some way to set to automatically make drinks when possible, or would I need a dwarfputer for this, as I'm still a newbie at fortress mode.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep drinks up without micro-management?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:13:43 pm »

Go to the [j]ob->[m]anager->[q]ueue up 30 jobs to Brew Drinks. That'll keep issuing orders to the still until 30 batches have been made. You can add as many jobs to the queue as you need.

This also works for...well...most things in the game. The Job Manager is your friend. Use it well and often.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:34:55 pm »

you probably (definitely)  know this, so i apologize if this insults your intelligence, but just in case... if you push the (r)epeat button it will keep doing it until it becomes impossible to complete the task.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:10 pm »

there comes a population size, when you need to have TWO stills running to keep up with demand, because one wont be enough. you will first notice this by dropping stockpiles and dwarves drinking the nasty water.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:49:34 pm »

Dwarves can hold out for around a year and a half winhout "fuel" before they start to get impossible slow thought, and, I suppose, a lot longer (maybe forever) if they get to drink it ever-so-often. Off-course that wont be good for their moral :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:02 pm »

Another thing that might help: hit Z, go to the Kitchen screen, and turn off cooking for your alcoholic stuff.

I'm swimming in alcohol after a few years of steady crop production. Try to use other sources for food, if possible. Slaughter some stray animals, or turn on hunting if you're in a decent biome. (I like Untamed Wild Shrublands, so many critters to eat!)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:57 pm »

My last fort was chugging along well through a combination of two stills with 'brew drink' on repeat, two carpentry shops churning out a full stock of barrels whenever the brewers ran out, and a large area of farms producing a variety of plants.
The kitchens were set to cook only meat and tallow.
Food was mostly livestock, because I set out about 10 cage traps in a rough circle around the map. Stuff kept blundering into them, so it got jammed into cages.
I bought plenty of booze, food, plants, and seeds from merchants, due to my stocks of goblin underwear. This was after buying a few animals in early years to get a breeding stock.
Now, by the time I got up to 70 dwarves, I had about 200-odd animals. About 40 wardogs, and a fuckload of camels, cows, and muskoxen.
Every so often, I let livestock out to breed for a season, then crammed it back in cages again. When food stocks looked a bit low, I designated a bunch of animals for the slaughter.
I had four butcher shops and tanneries supporting this, with a fifth set built up top inside my curtain wall later to deal with hunting. Two kitchens, one set for the top half of the skill list to produce roasts, one on the lower half producing biscuits. Both on repeat. One kitchen set to render fat full-time, with a second one added later because I'd run out of space and my miners were occupied with exploratory mining.
One fishery set to process fish on repeat whenever I got hold of any.
FIVE craftsdwarf workshops to deal with the bone and shell produced, three set to legendary-only thanks to artifacts.
Two leatherworking shops to produce stuff out of the various leathers.

Cage traps are brilliant for getting hold of livestock. Very little effort required for the dwarves, they collect automatically, and the only work you have to do is queueing up taming jobs and assigning livestock to cages or chains.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:16 am »

Thanks for the help, guys. I now have an extreme excess of booze, and I've taken the caging advice and captured a herd of camels for meat!
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:39:53 pm »

Make sure you keep a male and a couple of females around to breed with, and keep any babies caged to save FPS.
Slaughtering adults is most efficient.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 03:29:26 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys. I now have an extreme excess of booze, and I've taken the caging advice and captured a herd of camels for meat!
This comment makes me imagine that it would be really cool if suficient amounts of alcohol could act as fluids... beer pool, anyone? :)
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »

Hell, that'd be easy on barrels. Could order all the booze tipped into large cisterns capped with wells, and have a well designated for each type of drink.
'Dwarven rum 7/7'

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 05:27:41 pm »

Okay, I now have a new problem. My farming and hunting industries are going well... TOO well, in fact. It's so bad that all the plump helmets and meat are starting to use up all my barrels, and I have none to put my booze in! I bought twenty barrels of wine from the caravan, and it lasted 5 days.

5 days.

Is there some way to make them cut out the barrel-hogging (preferably besides prohibiting hunting and farming) and make booze-barreling a priority over it?

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 05:49:57 pm »

Separate the booze and food stockpiles by making them custom stockplies (one booze, one food)
make some barrels in a carpenters workshop, tell food to use as much as you want (q over the pile and change max barrels ) by default it is every square gets a barrel, so set that lower.

Or just churn out millions of barrels. Take that forest!

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:43 pm »

How much food and booze do you have in reserve?  If you have a few zillion of one, you can stop production of that for a little while.  For instance, if you have a couple thousand food, you can quit butchering animals and making Dwarven Syrup for a bit.

Also, setting a still to repeat doesn't necessarily work well because the instant you run out of barrels or brewable stuff, it's cancelled and you have to issue the order again.  Using the job manager (as mentioned by Mephansteras) to put up a couple dozen "Brew Drink: 30" jobs will keep the stills going for a while.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 01:17:07 am »

Hell, that'd be easy on barrels. Could order all the booze tipped into large cisterns capped with wells, and have a well designated for each type of drink.
'Dwarven rum 7/7'

Dwarf Drowning becomes voluntary...
Pages: [1] 2 3