Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is is possible to farm trees directly? / long-growing crops  (Read 1056 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Is is possible to farm trees directly? / long-growing crops
« on: January 16, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »

I've done it the roundabout way by modding in a biome-less tree that's produced when I " hot-cure " a modded-in crop (which I figure is a fair price to pay for the convenience of farming). I haven't tested the process myself, but the logs were on the embark screen so I guessed that it all checks out.

So, more out of curiosity than anything, is it possible to have a crop that's treated as wood from the moment it hits the food stockpile?

The crop question is more a request for clarification. In order to have a crop that overwinters, I have to have all seasons active, correct?* No way of specifying a one-season-only yearly crop (unless the crop grows in less than a season, I know)? Also, a two-season crop requires the 'middle' season to be activated, and the crop can't be in the ground at the turn of the year. ...I think. I made a mess of the testing and it's now the beginning of spring.

*I have an overwintering crop already, but it was intended to be plantable in any season.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Is is possible to farm trees directly? / long-growing crops
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »

Crops as wood: No, you can't farm trees in farm plots.  You could maybe mod a reaction that turns harvested plants into logs, but since the current version draws a hard line between plants and trees, it'll probably choke when you try to produce "plant X logs" or whatever.  In the next version, you still won't be able to farm trees directly, but you might be able to do the plant => logs thing.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:35:26 pm »

"plant X logs"
You can make a fake wood type without any biome settings for it to be, not a longland grass log. <--Example
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:49:56 pm »

You can also have the reaction produce wood of an existing type. So you could have "tower caps" that were farmable into "tower cap timber", and a reaction at the smelter that did tower cap timber into tower cap logs, and it would be fine since tower cap logs are already legal. Remember to make it output some seeds, too!

You can't have a directly-farmed tree, though, and since plants only need to be plantable in their growing and harvesting seasons you can easily make overwintering plants.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »

since plants only need to be plantable in their growing and harvesting seasons you can easily make overwintering plants.
This is what I've been having a problem with, and I don't know why. On the 20th of Granite, I altered one of the vanilla plants to have a GROWDUR of 2688 (8 months) and be active in spring and autumn. That should have resulted in a crop that would be planted only in early spring, but it didn't work until I added the summer season. Same thing for the [GROWDUR:4032] plants I originally had active in one season.

Another problem I've got, which is tangentially related to crops, is that dwarves are ignoring seeds (and other items) in bags made from the following plant. The thread and bags themselves are weird too-- they always appear on a light grey background, and transfer this property to seeds bought in this kind of bag.
Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:WEED_SILK]
[TILE:231][COLOR:7:7:1]
[NAME:silk weed][NAME_PLURAL:silk weed]
[GROWDUR:2940]
[WET][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[VALUE:5]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:25]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[THREAD]
[PREFSTRING:shimmering leaves]
[SEED:7:7:1]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:13:22 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 03:17:27 pm »

For the silk the background change is because you have the background of the silk plant set to be grey. 7:7:1 means that the foreground will be white, and the background will be grey. To change this change the color token to 7:0:1. That should make it so they have a black background like everything else.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »

For the silk the background change is because you have the background of the silk plant set to be grey.
Thanks (found the wiki page as well now).

Looks like it was just a coincidence with the seed colours.