Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, I added mithril, and now...  (Read 700 times)

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I added mithril, and now...
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »

It has apparently replaced steel at the dwarven favored metal... weird. I set it so that it had slightly higher percentiles, but being about half as expensive as adamantine. And it has seemingly, and completely replaced steel in dwarven... everything. Mithral instruments, mithril armor, mithril trap components, mithril everything. I can't even embark with a steel battleaxe to chop down trees with!

I kind of intended it to appear very rarely, the stuff that would be locked into the most fortified of vaults as soon as it is smelted, forged only at the king's sole digression by the most skilled of legendary smiths. The stuff that the greatest of dwarven heroes wear to battle. Instead I see caravan guards armed with no quality mithril plate and weapons, and mithril drums as trade goods... Any idea on how I can rectify this, and make mithril seem... well... rare, the way that adamantine feels?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: So, I added mithril, and now...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »

Yeah, it has to do with how metals work. The game currently takes any race with the METAL_PREF tag and gives it the best metal available that isn't DEEP.

If you make the mithril metal DEEP your dwarves will be able to work with it, but you'll never find it used by any other fortresses or traders in the game.

It kinda sucks, but there isn't anything we can do about it right now. Your options are have it become the new default 'good' metal or make it DEEP and only usable by you.

If you want more examples of getting new metals to work, download my mod (in my sig) and play around with the stuff in there. It should help you figure out what you can and can't do and give you some ideas.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:49:31 pm »

Well, that's kind of a shame... If I were to mark mithril as [Deep], will it occasionally show up in the same regions as adamantine? Or will it be one or the other?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:54:19 pm by Justyn »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »

Depends. If you mark the Mithril ORE as DEEP, then yes. However, you can mark the the Metal as DEEP without doing so for the ores. That'll keep the metal rare while letting the Ore act as normal. This means you'll be able to buy it from the caravan, if your civ has access to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One