Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire and ice . . .  (Read 754 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Fire and ice . . .
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:31 am »

Fire imps and butchery do not play well with butcher shops made out of ice, food stockpiles filled with booze, and ice fortresses :(

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Fire and ice . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:28:55 am »

Sounds fun.

Were there any survivors?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:59:41 am »

Well . . . all my booze blew up, I hadn't managed to find a water source yet, the ramp out of the ice fortress was melted (trapping the dwarven traders inside), I lost a bunch of walls, and there was smoke and burning everywhere along with miasma so I couldn't see to fix my structure.  And all but one of the beds burned up.  And there was no wood to replace the lost barrels or beds.

My dwarves were extremely unhappy and extremely thirsty.  I planted the muddy ground where my walls used to be with plump helmets, (three or four 1x1 and 1x2 plots) built a new still, and slowly began the manufacture of new alcohol.  The magma pipe my ice fortress was built over provided power for a forge, and I had a lot of hematite, so I made iron barrels.  I built a ramp and the traders got out of there as fast as they could.  Couldn't find the burning, so I designated everything for dumping . . . but for some reason the place just kept smoking.  I'd embarked using a random assortment of dwarves and I'd already lost three to an ice wolf attack, so my unskilled brewer managed about ten units of dwarven wine . . . but it was too late, and dwarves (i.e., my blacksmith) kicked the bucket.

And something was still burning.

My last dwarf, a last-minute hunter sent out for food, was swarmed by ice wolves and killed.

Amazingly, there was not a single tantrum . . .

It was a lot of fun.

xRedster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »

So apparently dorfs can survive apocaliptic events without a single tantrum but they go into a tantrum spiral when their cat dies?
Since I can't fight goblins, elves or humans, I'll just collapse mountains.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:45:07 pm »

I once let a fire imp loose inside a glacier fortress. It didn't end well.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:32 pm »

Burning dwarves + ice stairs = fun.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets