Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NetHack  (Read 5741 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 07:34:26 am »

Wow nice umiman, how long did it take? Was it the 1st time you ascended?
My best charectar was a level 9 monk... :(

Edit: Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:00:49 am by ILikePie »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »

Spoilers? I don't think there's any plot twists or anything...

It took me less than a week and was around a year ago I think. It was the first time I ascended and the last time I played, hehehe... Being the "can't-stop-playing" species of man, I played practically nonstop for that week or so, sleeping after each character dies and then continuing on.

If you want some more advice, the first 10 levels are going to be the hardest ones. It might be tempting to choose a brawler class like valkyrie or samurai because they make those really easy, but the long run for those classes suck balls. Spellcasters like wizards and monks have a really hard time early on but once you're a good way in, that level 20 wizard can smash through thousands of guys without breaking a sweat. Same goes with monks and priests.

Also, it can get really tedious later on as you farm for the best equipment like say... +10 BSM or something, so prepare yourself.

As a businessman, unnecessary risks are annoying. That's why I'll advise you to actually not wish for anything from fountains or sinks or whatever. In fact, if you're a wizard, you're probably going to want those things so you can get holy water or blank scrolls.

Lastly, once you're on the home stretch, heh.... things get really, really hectic. Make sure you are prepared because it's stupidly difficult and one false step means doom.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:16:12 am »

the first 10 levels really are the most difficult.
the goal is to avoid things that might cause your untimely death, while accumulating items, levels, and maybe spells to fight with.

only after accomplishing the first two, does it become possible to ascend.

also, the sokoban minigame is absurd.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 01:21:29 am »

You know what was funny? I spent 3 hours in Sokoban trying to get the treasure at the end and after I got it and went back out, I descended another level and found another one of that treasure (hint: it's a bag) lying on the floor with a ring of satiation inside.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:34 am »

and that is why i pray to the RNG gods.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:41 am »

You know what was funny? I spent 3 hours in Sokoban trying to get the treasure at the end and after I got it and went back out, I descended another level and found another one of that treasure (hint: it's a bag) lying on the floor with a ring of satiation inside.

Don't worry, I'm sure you will stick a wand of cancellation into one of your BoHs soon enough.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]