Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NetHack  (Read 5733 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
NetHack
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:21:35 am »

Let us discus this epic game and of its YASD&YAED.

Website
Wiki
IRC Channel

My most successful charectar was level 5 troll barbarian I took into the gnomish mines, he died on the 5th level in some crazy epic battle taking around 30 dwarfs/gnomes with him...
Post your coolawesomesauceepicgamesandstuff here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:01:54 am by ILikePie »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:36 am »

rushed, meybe?

ok, rubber chicken = cockatrice corpse (its a nethack thing)

i've made large amounts of progress on nethack, though its been a long time.
my most ... YASD was  in gehennom. I had obtained excessive amounts of wishes, pretty much completing my ascension kit, duel wielding good weapons. large numbers of strong foes blocked my way however, and it was tough going for my character, even as powerful as i was(lvl 34 samurai, i think) to that end, i used the 2nd last wish from the castle wand for a blessed rubber chicken. I killed umberhulks, vampires, dragons and whatnot, so long that it rotted away. However, my undoing was wishing for a second rubber chicken. While running back and forth managing my stuff, i fell down a previously unknown trap door. I fell, down causing me to impact the rubber chicken. I turned to stone instantly, ending my adventure.

the irony? i was looking for polymorph items and an amulet of unchanging so i could use it as a weapon all the time, and i wasn't even fighting anything.

the lesson here?: use rubber chickens sparingly.

edit:
he was a tourist human male, petrified by a cockatrice corpse in gehennom
his "score" was about 20 times more than any of my other characters...

too much information?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:03:31 am by eerr »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:05:41 am »

oh, the key to nethack is carefully planned retreats, and as much armour as you can afford to carry.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:26 pm »

Just re-downloaded this game because I was sucking at Crawl - my current character is doing brilliantly, however in a lapse of judgement I ate a water nymph's corpse. Now i randomly teleport, sometimes across levels, sometimes only a few squares. Worst was when i teleported to level one. I got as far through the mines as possible before my lamp ran out, now I'm working my way through the normal levels. The teleporting is making it hard going though - even if it makes escapes easy.

I'm an orcish barbarian, with no idea what level I am.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »

NetHack is a piece of shit in comparison with Crawl. I did a short Let's Play sort of thing on here once that I think illustrates why, but I can't find it. It featured me screaming about stealing gems.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:30:56 pm »

Crawl is simple like a rock while Nethack is more ornate.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:37:00 pm »

NetHack is a piece of shit in comparison with Crawl. I did a short Let's Play sort of thing on here once that I think illustrates why, but I can't find it. It featured me screaming about stealing gems.

Well that's one more person on my list of people to kill.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:41:39 pm »

Just re-downloaded this game because I was sucking at Crawl - my current character is doing brilliantly, however in a lapse of judgement I ate a water nymph's corpse. Now i randomly teleport, sometimes across levels, sometimes only a few squares. Worst was when i teleported to level one. I got as far through the mines as possible before my lamp ran out, now I'm working my way through the normal levels. The teleporting is making it hard going though - even if it makes escapes easy.

I'm an orcish barbarian, with no idea what level I am.

Look for a ring of teleport control or find some Tengu to eat (Tengu's kind of rare).

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »

Let me guess, eating Tengu nets teleport control? Damn, I killed one too, but I was wary about eating corpses. Oh and that character was eventually turned to stone by a cockatrice on Dlvl 11 Character lvl 11. Shoulda prayed, but I'd done that too many times and I was nervous about annoying the Gods.

As for the NetHack vs StoneSoup thing, they shine in different ways. NetHack is much easier to get into, but the way you pick up stuff is kinda difficult to work with - I hate not being able to just 'g'et things (I play with autopickup off), and there is far less in the way of characters and races. On the other hand, I love being able to get the effects from monsters, as well as the (un)lucky fountains and sinks and the pets.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »

Crawl is simple like a rock while Nethack is more ornate.

That's sort of a good analogy. Sort of. Nethack requires a ton of spoilers to play well, while Crawl requires very few. Also, Crawl has a much better user interface. Case in point? deadlycairn can't tell what level he is. Why can't he? NetHack doesn't show it. NetHack is like an unnecessarily complicated, poorly designed car. Crawl is like a car that's better in nearly every way than NetHack, but it only has two cup holders, no cigarette lighter, and it doesn't have that thing where the seats heat up. NetHack is a much easier game, though. Crawl is a faster car, but cops will give you shit about driving it.

Well that's one more person on my list of people to kill.

That might mean more to me if I had respect for you.

Anyway, I like the fountains and sinks, too. I don't really like how insanely deadly the fountains are, but I've always really liked the idea of having all that furniture (thrones included) scattered throughout the dungeon.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:43:05 pm »

... I DID know what character level I was! I just happened to be killed on the same dungeon level as my characters actual level. Mainly there are just little things about both games that I wish was in the other eg. More races and the rest feature for NetHack, and more evil for Crawl (like the cursed amulet of strangulation. Never seen it, but that is awesome!) ;D

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:45:54 pm »

No, I meant when you were still alive. :P

The amulet of strangulation is pretty fun, too. I've only died to it once, but I see how it could lose it's charm after a while.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »

NetHack is much easier to get into, but the way you pick up stuff is kinda difficult to work with - I hate not being able to just 'g'et thingsthe pets.

Weird, when I play games like Crawl I hate not being able to just hit ,
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »

NetHack is much easier to get into, but the way you pick up stuff is kinda difficult to work with - I hate not being able to just 'g'et thingsthe pets.

Weird, when I play games like Crawl I hate not being able to just hit ,
Crawl supports , as a pickup button.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:41:31 pm »

... I knew what level I was when I was alive as well. Its listed as EXP: [Your level here] Over on the right of your gold. I play the tiles version though, it may be different in ASCII.
Pages: [1] 2 3