Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: castes (of creatures)  (Read 1105 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
castes (of creatures)
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:13:06 am »

well obviously its more a suggestion or some sort only the mighty toady an answer correctly... so lets see this thread more as an mindwrapping discussion.

but my question is how mighty will the casts be?

like is it possible to assign more than just unseeable visuals to them.

as project experiment i brought some elves *points at the +elf cages (elf bone)+ in the corner*

now let us guess this three elfs are of 3 different casts(well obviously 6 with genders ut the small gender tag and maybe beard variants will be left out)

now say we got wood elves, high elves and dark elves. normaly they are like than creature just different  casts.

wood elves will get a brown skin and maybe darker hair
high elves will get a light skin and lighter hair (blondes and stuff. nuff said) they are more bengin
dark elves obviosly get a black sin, whit air and red eyes, also they are evil and likes fighting

sois this possible in the first place to have 3 races (and 2 genders) within one creature?

and now we go a step further: 3 entities

the wood elves are just like the elves we know: dragon and dwarf devouring tree hugging monsters with hate for anything sentient
now we also got casts for dark elves: they build mountain homes just as we know for dwarfs, they also very fond of the metalindustris and able to create steel, but beside this they are evil, bloodthurstie and like slavery as goblins, just one size bigger and a damblock weaker
the high elfes get even more interesting as they may occure within the wood elf socitiy, or among humans, or likly to build their very own nation just as the humes do

so it could be interesting if you can load different casts into an entity, also different entitys among a cast so we got a classical n-m.

also te different entitys shold have different versions of love and lead settings:
wood elves are lead by a  bunch of druids, but they breed with whateer they like.. this means their lover can change seasonly and they never get into a merriage.
the high elves among humans get lead by a king or rebublic or democrazy (!) ... well whatever the ghumans got set, but their love is different, due to the immortality they are not very fond if their mate get killed and may take a new... maybe even an human, this makes half elf breeding interesting ^^
well the dark eves are different, they  either follow a demon like goblins, or a panteon, if the last ocurs they create a m(p)atriarchat, its just like a king/queen system with the difference only female lines inherit, and also they form harems. both is depending on the gender of their demon or the god they follow: a male demon force a patriarhat and the males get their bunch of lovers, but if the queen follows a female god they will do it otherwise
well the last part i just edit in and deserve a suggestion i think ^^

now the fun part all along this is to see reactions in the world gen and legends: some wood elves get taken other by dark elves, which got some enslaved (or snatched) high elves with them and settle down in the retreat... with the gen thingie, its like simlife just more awesome
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:27:13 am by Rhenaya »
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: castes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:10 am »

castes.

When I saw thread title I was expecting casting metals.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: castes (of creatures)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:27:28 am »

better now? :p

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:21:08 am »

I must say that as someone who included several varieties of goblins and elves in their mod, I am curious as to how the castes will function exactly. In particular, I am hoping that there will be some sort of feature for setting the social standing of captives of wars, slaves etc. As of right now, it is rather disconcerting when I end up with dark elf civs ruled by elves and the like. Does anyone know if the caste system will cover this?

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:20 am »

but my question is how mighty will the casts be?

thats my (second) first line anyway ;) i just made an example, its not perfect maybe toady goes more or less into detail :p

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:38 am »

When the caste version has been released I will make dwarfs living beards when they are born.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:12 pm »

My understanding is that, at least for the next release, caste will not be inherited, but randomly determined at birth from probabilities set in the raws.  So having entities that include some castes, but not others, won't be possible.

Also, marriage seems to be hard coded.  Allowing a less formal relationship structure will have to wait.

The coloring part should be doable, though.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »

At last, the long-desired ANTMAN civ will be possible. Just give them a caste of neuters thats really common, (say, 90/100) and has a lifespan of like, 3-4 years, a caste of males thats fairly uncommon, and an ultra-rare caste of females with a long lifespan.

Poof, Antmen. And verily, they shall kick much dwarven arse.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »

I'm sort of doing that already, in my Flesh-mod. I've got 7 different kinds of antmen, each with 2-5 different "castes". It's not hardcoded or anything, so I'm looking forward to the update, but it's a start.

For that matter, I've got 36 different "families" of Titans, each pretty widely different.
For they would be your masters.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:18:42 pm »

Elves - Sh** tier
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »

Elves - Sh** tier
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
May I ask what relevance that had to the topic at hand whatsoever?
And your filenames should be more descriptive.
You're going to get all kinds of AHAHAH(etc).jpg files and then you won't know what the hell you're doing anymore.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries