Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Crystalpages, the Council Fort. Because community forts aren't confusing enough.  (Read 3871 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile

Spoiler: The Introduction (click to show/hide)

The Council Chamber, an area for discussing the game's events and planning one's next move, can be found here.

All this being said, let's finish get the infodumping out of the way.

Spoiler: Gods and Goddesses (click to show/hide)
These are going to be important.

As a note, Holy Orders for the rest of the gods can be made on request.

These two factions have more far-reaching authorities than the rest, but also have to worry a lot more about being... Taken care of.

Spoiler: Factions: The Guilds (click to show/hide)
These guys cover the various aspects of skills and work to be done in the fort. Good to effect constructions, but also useful if you want to force an issue. Not gonna get far with the crafters on strike, after all...

More filling in the gaps than actual factions. The King and Queen are not playable, and the rest are likely to severely limit your influence. But at the same time, they are some pretty nice positions.

Now that you've waded through that mess, here's the gist of the story so far. The King and Queen have just begun settling in, and are formalizing the Council to manage the ruling of the capital city. Currently there are no active projects or great events, but for now there's just a lot of getting things organized properly and putting on a good show for the Royal Family. There's a bit of history behind the fort, but most have only ever been paying attention to their own little sectors before now.

Here are the maps of the fort, currently split into two parts because I suck at uploading.

Upper Half
Lower Half

And here are the Council Members that have been taken so far.

Mosus Vodstinthad, Mason's Guildmaster (Ricemastah)
Urdim Kurikonul, Captain of the Guard (Flintus10)
Monom Saziralnis, Metalworker's Guildmaster (Caz)
Rith Atisgongith, Master Woodcutter, Woodsdwarf's Guild (Frelock)
Besmar Atissakrith, Miner's Guildmaster (Jayfrin)
Thob Rigthmeb, Crafter's Guildmaster (Keeirby)
Vabok Kivishdural, Engraver's Guildmaster(Zaithemaster)
Ducim Essakzul, Military Commander (Splendiferous)
Zefon Thakastesh, Royal Guard Captain (Eita)

Here are the non Council members and pending Council Members.

Atir Sherikmothkat, Elder Mason (RavingManiac)
Melbil Zimkelrigoth, Farmer's Alliance (Jim Groovester)

And the sections and individual slots that aren't taken:
The Holy Families
The Power Struggle
The Nobility

And that'd be that, for the time being. Post if you'd like to join, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:25:35 pm by Haven »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Yeesh, that's plenty confusing. I have a feeling you'll be able to craft a compelling story, but its sounds like too much for me.

So, would you be the person bringing issues before the council? Or will the players on the council be able to do that as well? Would you consider players who would actively work against others? Would the council members be able to create their own goals, like the creation of portals to other dimensions or other devious plots?

Basically, what would be the limit of the council members' power?

Also, would you accept regular community dwarves, or those who would rather not get involved in the complex, dynamic politics of your fort, but rather passively read your story?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So fucking in.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want in on this it sounds to awesome to wait for!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am in on this too great idea
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:44:09 am by Flintus10 »

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile

First off, for those of you looking to join up, now would be the time to claim one of the council members. Don't stress too much over the decision, they've all got at least some pull.

Yeesh, that's plenty confusing. I have a feeling you'll be able to craft a compelling story, but its sounds like too much for me.

So, would you be the person bringing issues before the council? Or will the players on the council be able to do that as well? Would you consider players who would actively work against others? Would the council members be able to create their own goals, like the creation of portals to other dimensions or other devious plots?

Basically, what would be the limit of the council members' power?

Also, would you accept regular community dwarves, or those who would rather not get involved in the complex, dynamic politics of your fort, but rather passively read your story?

The Council members could bring whatever issues they desired up for the council, as well as attempt to influence things within the fort however they see fit, although they'll see far more success influencing things that fall under their jurisdiction (i.e. Crafter's Guildmaster would have a far easier time placing craft quotas than mandating a construction). Issues will also be brought before the council by the regular dwarves, meaning that if I see something I think they'd bring to council, it'll be brought with the update. Of course, how effective the mandate is will be limited by how much you can get working for it. No luck getting a literal billon =Glass Portals=, but your Glassworkers will be happy to work at full capacity... If you can justify the work to the council. Given you won't be using any non-renewable resources, shouldn't be too tough. Council members' power is limited mostly by circumstances, and can wax or wane depending on the situation at hand.

As for working against other Council members, that can definately be done. However, you'll have to tread carefully, as it does work both ways. Not to mention, getting caught could cause massive damage to your reputation and influence. It would be much easier to, say, try to reduce reliance on rock blocks, than to attempt to assassinate the fort's population of skilled Masons.

And on the topic of regular community-style dwarves... Sure. So long as you don't mind the risk of ending up as a pawn of some political machination...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:56:39 am by Haven »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I call the mason's guild master? I wanna be able to mandate constructions and stuff. Heh heh heh...

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll call the captain of the guard...I have some interesting err policy's and need a way to "enforce" them.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Can I call metalworker's guild?

Mine for platinum! More! MORE!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait... Who are the council members? Your data dump was very confusing.

keeirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take the crafters, then.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

If we're calling specific dwarves, I'll take Rith Atisgongith, the master woodcutter.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds awsome I'll take the Mining. Besmar, unless i get both. I won't be greedy though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:07:44 pm by Jayfrin »
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

And on the topic of regular community-style dwarves... Sure. So long as you don't mind the risk of ending up as a pawn of some political machination...

I have no problem with that. In fact, that would be a pretty cool thing to happen. I'll claim a regular community dwarf as soon as I come up with something interesting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile

Wait... Who are the council members? Your data dump was very confusing.

The council members are the leaders of the various guilds, the heads of the Holy Families, the Duke (or Duchess Consort), the Trader, the Captain of the Guard, and the elected Nobility. Give or take.

Just let me update the post with the taken dwarves so far, and I'll get to work sorting out the beginning. PMs for everyone, so watch that inbox.

(Also, keeirby, you'll want to pick either the Bone Carver or the Leatherworker. Doesn't much matter which for power, just for personal flavor. Caz, I'll get a name down for you once I pick a permanent Guildmaster... The Metalworkers haven't seen much use...)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:05:10 am by Haven »
Pages: [1] 2 3