Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Acts of Violence  (Read 1951 times)

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
Random Acts of Violence
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Here's a "feature" that I strongly believe should be implemented as soon as possible.
I have come to notice that my police forces really don't do much. Other than gibbing kobolds and locking up psycho-dwarves during "dog-die-season" they do even less than my armed forces.
I propose that if a dwarf who is suitably unhappy takes a drink there will be a small chance that he will go into a rage. (Perhaps also if the tax collector attempts to steal his shiny coins?)
This will give my guards something to do and more importantly allow drunken brawls to take place in my fortress.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Gibby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Acts of Violence
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

I'm not sure if I like the idea. What if my legendary something-or-other goes into a rage and collapses half the dwarves in my fortress to lumps of gore with his bare hands before being brought down?

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

I'd prefer it if the some of the Guards ended up being corrupt, and would frame my other dwarves based on dislikes, or just cause they were bored. Maybe random public beatings aswell.

Then you get the fun part of finding out which one is corrupt!!!!

How's that for giving something for your guards to do?

Now I want to check development plans...

Dwarves for now only make friends, aye? They have dislikes, but minor ones. Never noticed one dwarf hate another. The fun that would be - accidently make their houses adjoining, watch one dwarf barge into the neighbor's home to destroy his furniture. ~Tantrum Spree~

oof

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

and what if it will happen only if dwarf drink from a river or (i don't think it is a good idea) a well. only alcochol could save your legendary dwarfs.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

This should be in the "bad idea's" thread.  I'd rather have a police force make it LESS likely for dwarfs to go off the deep end than more.

If you really want to have your dwarf population start a life of crime, just make them unhappy.  They'll start tantruming left and right.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

This might be kind of interesting, a little extra chaos isn't always a bad thing ... I could see it as unskilled dwarves who have gained less than two XP levels and then haven't gained any XP in a long time (i.e. unskilled, unemployed haulers) might get frustrated enough to resort to crime.  Petty theft or aggravated assualt.

A hidden Criminal tag could be exciting, after a few have become criminals one becomes a crime boss and organizes the heist or a bin full of gold coins.  Guards organize a door to door search culminating in a couple wounded guards and then a public execution: A guard with a Chain Criminal job takes the criminal to either the Meeting Hall or the highest ranking nobles throne room while the highest ranking Sheriff/Captain/Hammerer beats him to death.  Several Children and a couple other idlers hang around with the Attend Execution job.  Hahah.

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

I can see some folk don't like the idea behind this thread. Allow me to reclarify.
Depression + Alchohol = (quite often) Violence. The police force actually has nothing to do with the violence (other, of course, than ending it).
Of course only fist-fights would ensue so you wouldn't have to worry about too many casualties.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »

Yes, that's how it works amongst humans, but amongst humans, we work slower and at lower quality when drinking.  Alcohol makes dwarves HAPPIER, even when they're sad.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Yes, that's how it works amongst humans, but amongst humans, we work slower and at lower quality when drinking.  Alcohol makes dwarves HAPPIER, even when they're sad.</STRONG>

I think one of my friends might be a tall thin dwarf then.  :p

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

A new building type, Guillotine.  Requires a stone block, a mechanism and a giant metal axe blade.  An Arcitect to design and Mechanic to construct.  When the Baron arrives he will want one installed and it will be under the jurisdiction of the Royal Guard.  If more criminal activity is implemented, Royal Guards get an Execute Crimial job and certain dwarves will spectate with an Attend Execution job.  Maybe phase out Hammerings as a punishment and let really deliquent dwarves get a clean swift death instead of the previously inhumane Hammerer maimings.  Possibly incorporate spectacular executions into the Legends.

Gallows could be an option also, but feel less dwarvish.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

Given the prison-freeze bug, many (most?) jail sentences are death sentences anyway.

Guillotines?  Hmm.  Something tells me they'd be big on death by stoning.