Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to build a floor over open space?  (Read 1372 times)

Akett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to build a floor over open space?
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:26:09 am »

I know you kind of have to in construction of towers, but can you do so from, say a cliff face?  I'm kind of thinking of maybe making my first good fortress suspended between two cliff faces and I want to have a good idea of how this would work beforehand.

I'm kind of new to building fortresses.  I haven't really been playing this game much since I downloaded it but I have been reading here a lot.  I tried building a bunch and only two took off.  The first ran out of booze before the second winter and I didn't quite catch it until half my fort died of thirst, after which it completely died of thirst.  The second I was uncomfortably far into my first year before I realized I didn't quite have a grasp on irrigation, or any area that didn't require it for a farm.

I already know that the idea I have will either have to be really close to the ground if I want walls, or I'd have to completely go without them if I want such a fortress.  I'm thinking of maybe starting from in the top or bottom of the cliff and going out from there, having the bedrooms inside the cliff faces and having one large stockpile/dining hall/workshop area between the cliffs.  That or just have one large open space where everyone sleeps eats and works.

Just a thought.  Is it feasible?  More importantly, is it dwarven?

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to build a floor over open space?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:30:33 am »

As long as a dwarf can stand next to what they're supposed to build, it can be built. As long as it's connected to something solid in some way, it will STAY built. You could have this fortress you speak of suspended by a trail of floors leading out into nothingness, supported only by the flimsy bridge you have going to land.

There will be people that say "don't do that, later versions will model cave-ins properly and th whole thing will fall!" But it's really not going to happen that way. There's no chance in hell the next version's going to be save-compatible with everything new that's coming.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:51:09 am »

Also note: Only things built through the (B)uild (C)onstruction menu will support weight, as well as supports. Drawbridges, while the game may tell you is a valid support, won't support constructions. Be weary of this.

Also note, the tops of walls are considered floors, but have one important distinction: You can't build constructions on constructed floors, you can make whatever you want on the floor provided by a wall. Remember this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:30:33 am »

Also note, the tops of walls are considered floors, but have one important distinction: You can't build constructions on constructed floors, you can make whatever you want on the floor provided by a wall. Remember this.

Expanding on this to make it clearer: You can build a wall hanging in midair next to a floor you construct, and the tile above it will act like any normal floor tile.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:33:09 am »

Also note: Only things built through the (B)uild (C)onstruction menu will support weight, as well as supports. Drawbridges, while the game may tell you is a valid support, won't support constructions. Be weary of this.

That's depressing.  So, I cannot make aluminum (S)upports stretching 10 Z-levels with nothing around them in the great hall.  Damnit.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:37:47 am »

That's depressing.  So, I cannot make aluminum (S)upports stretching 10 Z-levels with nothing around them in the great hall.  Damnit.

He just said supports hold weight...the only thing you'd have to do is build scaffolding next to each one you want to build so the dwarf constructing them has somewhere to stand.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:19 am »

Also note: I don't think you can make a support on a support. You might need a floor between them. I dunno, I haven't used supports much.

I did have a plan to have a tower of pillars several z-levels high with a fortress at the top. Every pillar would then be turned invisible. Lets see how that works.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »

Also note: I don't think you can make a support on a support. You might need a floor between them. I dunno, I haven't used supports much.

I did have a plan to have a tower of pillars several z-levels high with a fortress at the top. Every pillar would then be turned invisible. Lets see how that works.

Just build a support on the first floor and walls above it, when the support gives the walls will turn to loose stone/blocks and you'll never know they were there anyway. The graphics aren't even that different, you'll live with pillars. Trust me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:55 pm »

Wait, what?

By collapsing the pillar of walls, the fortress will collapse. I want some way of supporting a sky fortress without any obvious supports visible. Also, without cave-ins off.

I want to collapse blocks onto the unsuspecting gobbos below.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »

Well, if you don't mind making a plank/bridge out to where you want to drop with a grate or bridge for the last, you just build a floor/wall/whate'er and it'll collapse on completion, as you noted. No wasting mechanisms and a link job, too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leinad

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:49:44 am »

I have a very small support tower in a fort of mine, yes you do need a floor between them, but you can build scaffolding and construct the floor on top of the support, then construct another support on top of the floor. Doing this will work.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »

Well, if you don't mind making a plank/bridge out to where you want to drop with a grate or bridge for the last, you just build a floor/wall/whate'er and it'll collapse on completion, as you noted. No wasting mechanisms and a link job, too.

The resulting cave-in will most likely take the builder along with it.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!