Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves attacking me? Mixed in with goblin ambush  (Read 2792 times)

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves attacking me? Mixed in with goblin ambush
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:08 am »

I had a goblin ambush come my way.
Led by 4 dwarves.

The dwarves could march over my traps unaffected. They all ganged up on one of my original seven, but they didn't really DO anything to him. Probably threatened him.

I sent out my wrestlers and they tore them apart.

What the heck is going on?

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves attacking me? Mixed in with goblin ambush
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:46:13 am »

Goblin babysnatchers raise the children they steal as their own, and I guess this batch became legendary. It's not hard for a dwarf to stand out among his peers if they're all goblin filth...

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:23 am »

Thanks to [BABYSNATCHER], it's rare but not unknown to have a goblin civ wind up being dominated by the descendants of the kidnap victims. Hence, "Goblin" civs that are largely goblin or dwarvish. Hence the "goblins" that attack you might be dwarves instead.

Note that the dwarves will come with steel equipment (interesting bug that) so after they're dead, it's not a bad thing. Funny thing is the Elves (I'm told) come with regular goblin equipment, just at size 7.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:25:03 am »

It happens. I recently saw an elf lead a gobbo ambush. And by lead I mean it was the first to die.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:20:58 am »

nastiest thing i ever fought in fortress mode was a legendary elf hammerman all decked out in elf size iron armor.

caught him in a cage and then tried him out against my squad of champions in the arena. he beat three of them to death with his iron maul, then ran through my entire fort for the exit so fast nobody could keep up, and hammered a few random dwarfs who were in his way. he got caught by the same cage trap at the fort entrance.

so i threw him off a really high place. size 7 legendary with high quality iron plate and super elf speed from the uber agility bonus makes for really nasty. im so used to my chapions tearing through everything it was disconcerting to find something capable of doing the same to me.

iron armor seems reasonable to me. elves dont like iron for some silly hippy cultural reason, but when an elf gets raised by goblins this doesnt matter, and i guess they get their own elf size armor made for them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

nastiest thing i ever fought in fortress mode was a legendary elf hammerman all decked out in elf size iron armor.

caught him in a cage and then tried him out against my squad of champions in the arena. he beat three of them to death with his iron maul, then ran through my entire fort for the exit so fast nobody could keep up, and hammered a few random dwarfs who were in his way. he got caught by the same cage trap at the fort entrance.

so i threw him off a really high place. size 7 legendary with high quality iron plate and super elf speed from the uber agility bonus makes for really nasty. im so used to my chapions tearing through everything it was disconcerting to find something capable of doing the same to me.

iron armor seems reasonable to me. elves dont like iron for some silly hippy cultural reason, but when an elf gets raised by goblins this doesnt matter, and i guess they get their own elf size armor made for them.

Hehe, yeah, it looks like that the elves are only wearing crap stuff, if they are a citizen of an elf civ.  ;D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:03:59 am »

It's really weird that they didn't trigger your traps.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:04:33 am »

Thanks for the warning

Even though my dwarves have had very little to do with elves they are utterly despised in my fortress. Walls and floors are covered in engravings telling the stories of elves being killed. But very few if any of my dwarves have actually seen the killing of an elf

So when I captured an elven macelord the leader of the nearby goblin group Incest of Traps I'm planning to execute him in a spectacular gladiator fight for all my dwarves to see. But maybe I should take some extra precautions so it doesnt turn into a spectacular tantrum spiraling fiasco? :)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:27 am »

But maybe I should take some extra precautions so it doesnt turn into a spectacular tantrum spiraling fiasco? :)

And ruin all the fun?  Why?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:48 pm »

That is why it was very fortunate that they did not attack my dwarves.

It looked kinda funny, the two first dwarves run through the traps unharmed and walked up to one of my first seven and stood there. The goblins marched straight after him and died in all the traps.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:09 am »

huh, similiar thing happened recently to me, except the moment the pikedwarf stepped onto the weapons trap (ya, the one with all the masterwork copper battle axes...) he was torn into 3-4 bits. I actually posted a screen shot of the bottom half in the moat...

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29824.new#new

Ignore the post, it was my curiosity about this same bit, the second picture is the torso. I wanted to throw him on his pike and hoist him to the sky, but I think my dwarves put him in a tomb... I'll get back to you once I verify...
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:47:23 am »

When I got elfin company with the gobs, they had the profession, "Guard".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:50:05 am »

I wanted to throw him on his pike and hoist him to the sky, but I think my dwarves put him in a tomb... I'll get back to you once I verify...

Yes. If goblins send their babysnatched dwarven soldiers to your fort, and you kill them, these dwarves are buried in your coffins marked to allow burial.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 07:33:06 am »

Yes. I've had this. Check the sadly-on-hiatus "Fogcrystal" story fort thread. Dead Dwarves cause problems regardless of whether they were enemies.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:34:18 am »

I suppose all ambushers are getting the trapavoid token automatically, regardless of their race?
Pages: [1] 2