Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megaproject - the most legendary dwarf ever  (Read 2681 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Megaproject - the most legendary dwarf ever
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:55 pm »

Is it  plausible to get a dwarf legendary in all possible stats?
The hardest I see to legendary is throwing. You need to tantrum a dwarf and he has to throw something to level it up. Thats hard to accomplish. All work tasks are solved with time. It seems feasible, any jobs you just CAN'T level up at all?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject - the most legendary dwarf ever
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:08 pm »

You need 600 throws to become legendary. No dwarf is going to survive 600 tantrums, or even 60, because they tend to go mad too often.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:36 am »

Throwing's not the only thing.

Do you really want to train a legendary cheese maker? I've never even seen a purring maggot in a fortress before. (Actually, that would be a lot easier than the profession one step back in the production chain, because of traders.)

Do you really want to train a legendary milker, or lye maker, or potash maker, or soap maker?

And remember, in order to become a legendary hunter, they have to have animals to kill, and animals run out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:03:04 am »

What are the odds?
If the dwarf is made happy again and sent back to tantrum, would it still drive him mad?
Would elves bring a purring Maggot ever?

As a mega project it should be stupidly hard to do.
How often do animals respawn?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:18:07 am »

Purring maggots are only found in chasms and bottomless pits (and caves), so elves can't bring it. Purring maggots must be caught in traps, and they can't be tamed or else they won't produce milk. So if you wanted to train all the skills possible, you'd need a fort with:

1. Chasm or bottomless pit containing purring maggots, which are incredibly rare.
2. Sand, for glassmaking and soapmaking, and because it's a lot easier to train gem setter and cutter that way. But feasibly, to do this, you'll need...
3. Magma.
4. A large local animal population, so that Kogan Uberdwarf can train to legendary in ambushing and not run out of animals.
5. Trees. To train wood cutting.
6. Adamantine. To train adamantine extraction. I don't think there's enough adamntine to actually train one to legendary, but I wouln't know.

I think those are the bare minimums you'll need to do this challenge. The magma is optional, but to train glassmaking to legendary by charcoal will take forever. Also, when you find this site, post it. This would be an ideal site by any standards.

I'd say skip throwing. It would be a nightmare of balancing a legendary dwarf's mood and nearby available furniture.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23:56 am »

Only if you're willing to dabble in modding.
THere's a way to train every skill in the game using weapons. Including Alchemy, Druidry , and TRACKING (whatever the heck that is)... which you can't gain any other way.

..then you just build an arena (since I don't think they'll spar with those weapons)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:36:57 am »

is it true you can milk cows if they are smaller?
would modding a dwarved cow be fair?
The wiki said that maggots are invisible until caught, only can be milked once a season, and some dwarves find them delicious.

that sounds hard to get around.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:37:49 am »

is it true you can milk cows if they are smaller?
would modding a dwarved cow be fair?
The wiki said that maggots are invisible until caught, only can be milked once a season, and some dwarves find them delicious.

that sounds hard to get around.

you'd have to make te cows vermin, I think.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:52:39 am »

Damn cows, always eating the foodstores.
get the cats over there to get rid of them.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:54:56 am »

Milking needs to be more like butchery. We know it is possible for the dwarves to lead cattle to their doom. But apparently, having their nipples squeezed is too much for the cows to handle.
!!&!!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:08 am »

I've never seen a chasm that didn't have purring maggots in it

Sure, most of the time you'll catch spiders and bats but the maggots have always been there for me

Now Toady just has to make them milkable when tame. That'd just about fix them, it's a pain in the ass to keep the dwarves from eating them as is. Or worse, interrupting milking to grab a drink and dropping the damn thing

I don't see why vermin don't like rotten meat though. Makes it tedious to catch stuff, especially when you use an entire stack at once

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:53 am »

Is it  plausible to get a dwarf legendary in all possible stats?
The hardest I see to legendary is throwing. You need to tantrum a dwarf and he has to throw something to level it up. Thats hard to accomplish. All work tasks are solved with time. It seems feasible, any jobs you just CAN'T level up at all?

Wait, do we want all-legendary STATS? or JOB skills?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:25 am »

Stats is trivial. Set the dwarf to pump operating, mining, or record keeping.

Skills, on the other hand... On a single-dwarf fort, maybe.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »

The magma is optional, but to train glassmaking to legendary by charcoal will take forever.
Embark with 300 bituminous coal.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 03:11:07 pm »

Damn cows, always eating the foodstores.
get the cats over there to get rid of them.

Only if they are the cats from one of my fortresses. See I wanted easy large piles of bone for practice bolts. And I knew that the size attribute defined amount of bones you get from slaughtering. I didn't realize my problem till I saw a size 15 kitten take out a goblin ambush by itself.
Pages: [1] 2