Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Actually doable multiplayer, maybe  (Read 3156 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Actually doable multiplayer, maybe
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

I'm sure this isn't probable with the current Dwarf Fortress, but I think it could  be done in next versions.
Please hear me out, I'm not a retard when it comes to computers.

I've seen the utilities which let you change some files and select dwarves, so I thought of this for a sort of "multiplayer ish" ability.
Here's how it would work: In singleplayer dwarf fortress mode, you get some soldiers you want to attack someone, put them in a room/area, then use some sort of "invader selection" to select them all. The invader selection, once all the soldiers and animals you want to include are selected, creates a file which has the soldiers skills, weapons, etc in it.

You can take this file and send it to friends, who download it and put it in a folder called "downloaded invasions" or something. When you feel your fort is ready, you go in game and "activate" your friends invaders from a menu. THen your friends army appears somewhere and attacks you.

It's not really active multiplayer, but it would be fun trying to siege your friends base like this.
It could also let people mod in their own sieges, if they can modify the "invader" file.

Thoughts? Would this be remotely possible?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Actually doable multiplayer, maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

That's the most coherent multiplayer idea I've ever seen.  Only current issue is that invasions are too easy to fight off if you 'cheat' (ie, use tons of mechanisms, or water/lava, or rewalling).  But...still, neat!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Thanks.

It's not really multiplayer, but just an idea.

The point isn't to destroy your friends fort, it's to test traps and such, and to see whether your army can conquer your friend's base.

I would love to see someone make an epic army, and have people try to beat it.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

It sounds like a way to massively dupe items. Send an army with 1 guy in masterpiece steel plate and load the "siege" 10 times and theres your free 10 masterpiece palte sets.
ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

Fire Tempest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Btwilley:
<STRONG>It sounds like a way to massively dupe items. Send an army with 1 guy in masterpiece steel plate and load the "siege" 10 times and theres your free 10 masterpiece palte sets.</STRONG>

There are already so many ways to cheat and make the game easy for yourself. If people want to abuse it, let them. The added challenge this could create for those who want a war or a new disaster I think outweighs the abuse.

urrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>It sounds like a way to massively dupe items. Send an army with 1 guy in masterpiece steel plate and load the "siege" 10 times and theres your free 10 masterpiece palte sets.</STRONG>

Well nobody is forcing you to cheat.

It is the player's decision how to play.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

quote:

How about invaders loaded from a file don't drop loot?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

Only, this isn't true multiplayer so cheating doesn't matter.

Who cares if people abuse it? That's their business. If you abuse it then good luck to you. In my opinion you're ruining the game for yourself. You may think you're improving the game for yourself. It doesn't matter.

The 'cheating' arguements that people are using against this are exactly the same as those that get used against things like Reveal.exe, yet people have settled down and accepted the existence of it now. It no longer matters how people want to play the game.

As for this idea, I think it is great. It would be brilliant fun to set challenges for your friends, test your defences and basically have fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

I think it should be set up so that you can send a supply caravan to a buddy's fort.  You start a fort in a jungle or forest or something, and send wood, food, or even exotic animals to your friend's desert expedition.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

If duping goods by repeated sieging is cheating because it skips the requirements of waiting for them to show up with natural sieges, then sharing seeds is cheating because you let somebody else choose your start location.

If we could also do the same with traders, it would be even more awesome. Load a pile of goods onto a mule, send them off into the distance, upload file and let people receive goods from that caravan. they can even send back the caravan with whatever goods they aquired at the target fort.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

I'd be happy if you could just load goods on pack animals in the first place :P You know, for when your damned start point is smack in the middle and your magma is in one of the far corners.

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

You can't cheat in a one-player game.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

I like this idea. Caravans, too, of course. And some way to export a file of what you send back with the caravan.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

I wonder if there is some way to make a utility to do this... Can dwarves be created and controlled to this extent?

No matter how this works, I hope it gets implemented!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

this could be done now, by stealing the code from the goblin sieges, but subbing with dwarves, and replacing the goblin siege triger with something player controlled, someone with a working knowledge of df's programming could make a siege like this quite fast, in theory,,,
would be limited to current AI on sieges tho, and would need a new civilisation made,,, say,,, "invading dwarves"
 laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.
Pages: [1] 2