Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Taiheiyou no Arashi  (Read 5805 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Taiheiyou no Arashi
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:50:51 pm »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44389.html

I think Japan is the only ex-Axis country that still attempts to glorify its position in WWII. Personally, I feel a bit disgusted every time I see an anime, movie, or game attempting to show off its position in that age as heroic but... well, I'm not sure what the general consensus is.

Anyway, the topic is this is an RTS type game with an "historical" background of the pacific war where intrepid Japanese men battle the crusading Western armies who know only slaughter and death.

I think the mechanics might be interesting for a NDS game, but the subject matter...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Taiheiyou no Arashi
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:56:43 pm »

To be fair, all the American WWII games are exactly the same.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:14 pm »

Japan's view of WW2 has always been hilarious.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

Japan's always been jealous of the Nazi's uniforms. But then again, who wouldn't be?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:42 pm »

Japan's view of WW2 has always been hilarious.

That must be one of the weirdest H-Games of all time... But for some reason I doubt it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:38:59 pm by Okenido »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:02:59 am »

I wonder.  The only WW2 games I know of that let you play as the Japanese are sims, and a few turn based strategy games... and Battlefield 1942.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:12 am »

I think the mechanics might be interesting for a NDS game, but the subject matter...

right, because the japanese were bloody killers, while the Americans and Soviets rode ponies and threw candy at them?

P.S. I don't think they actually showed any gameplay in that video, did they?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:44 am »

I'm well aware that every side in WWII committed atrocities. What I don't like is when they pretend it didn't happen and completely and totally change history while sincerely believing that fake history was what really happened. I'm quite unbiased in that aspect since I don't enjoy any media, western, asian or otherwise that is in denial.

And there is gameplay in that video. Somewhere around the halfway point, after the stupidly lengthy CGI.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:53:11 am »

There's like two seconds of gameplay, and the screen is too small to see what's happening.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 10:41:58 am »

Luckily, we live in an age where we are able to pause moving pictures and enlarge the screen while carefully and pointlessly analyzing those two seconds.  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:08:42 pm »

Well the United States also likes to overinflate its importance in both world wars to the point where really... they might as well up and say "We fought the whole war ourselves"

Or how they exagerate losses on the American side... for example Pearl Harbor was a surprise but I somehow suspect that the USA lost more men joining WW2.

Or how they justify their bombing on Japan as "So we won't have to send foot soldiers in Japan" ignoring the fact that a war between the USA and Japan would be fought almost exclusively as a naval battle and that their contested territories were no where close to Japan.

That isn't even counting the US's over inflation of their own history... Such as George Washington or Ben Franklin being a diety
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:14:47 pm by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »

I heard that motherfucker had, like, ten damn dicks...

Also, I'll go on the record as disagreeing with the US having the capability to force Japan into a surrender using only naval combat...  Whether or not that justifies a nuke is up for debate, however...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:42:13 pm by Granite26 »

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:08 pm »

Or how they justify their bombing on Japan as "So we won't have to send foot soldiers in Japan" ignoring the fact that a war between the USA and Japan would be fought almost exclusively as a naval battle and that their contested territories were no where close to Japan.

I lol'ed at that complete failure of your Knowledge (History) roll thar. The war at sea was already over. Japans carriers and their best battleships were long since sunk by the time the bombs were dropped.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:58:10 pm »

I lol'ed at that complete failure of your Knowledge (History) roll thar. The war at sea was already over. Japans carriers and their best battleships were long since sunk by the time the bombs were dropped.

No... I still succeed at my History Roll (Mind you... I don't roll... I take 10). You havn't contradicted anything I said yet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:01:48 pm by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:04:03 pm »

right, because the japanese were bloody killers, while the Americans and Soviets rode ponies and threw candy at them?

The japanese government took every single college student in their country and told them to go ride some airplanes and crash them into boats for the lulz.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5