Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Taiheiyou no Arashi  (Read 5799 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taiheiyou no Arashi
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:47 pm »

I think the mechanics might be interesting for a NDS game, but the subject matter...

right, because the japanese were bloody killers, while the Americans and Soviets rode ponies and threw candy at them?

The japanese government took every single college student in their country and told them to go ride some airplanes and crash them into boats for the lulz.

Wow Valkyria Chronicles was correct!

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:00 pm »

Or how they justify their bombing on Japan as "So we won't have to send foot soldiers in Japan" ignoring the fact that a war between the USA and Japan would be fought almost exclusively as a naval battle and that their contested territories were no where close to Japan.

I lol'ed at that complete failure of your Knowledge (History) roll thar. The war at sea was already over. Japans carriers and their best battleships were long since sunk by the time the bombs were dropped.

No... I still succeed at my History Roll (Mind you... I don't roll... I take 10). You havn't contradicted anything I said yet.

You stated a war between the two would be almost exclusively naval. I contradicted it with the fact that the naval war was well and over by the time they decided to drop the bomb, as they were about to invade the mainland. Not exactly "almost exclusively"; more like "reamage at sea then horrible war of attrition on land".
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »

Wasn't there actually a land war in Japan? Iwo Jima ring any bells? That was WWII if my history roll serves me correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iwo_Jima
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »

That isn't even counting the US's over inflation of their own history... Such as George Washington or Ben Franklin being a diety

You've never actually been to America, have you?

Most of us don't know the difference between Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.
Shoes...

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 04:37:28 pm »

Wasn't there actually a land war in Japan? Iwo Jima ring any bells? That was WWII if my history roll serves me correctly.

Wasn't on hte mainland if thats what you mean. I don't think its considered part of Japan proper anyways, just an island. Not entirely sure on that however.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:41:13 pm »

Wasn't on hte mainland if thats what you mean. I don't think its considered part of Japan proper anyways, just an island. Not entirely sure on that however.

Even so, imagine that(Except with civilians and inland industry backing them up) on Japan. That is likely what a land invasion would have been like.

Remember Japan conquered these islands in the months leading up to the conflict, and most of the navy worked to put troops on these islands to keep Japan from putting military bases on them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 06:56:22 pm »

Yeah but isn't Japan more then able to be taken (or at least forced to surrender) via Naval Supremacy?

Sure Japan may have no Navy but I consider Shore Bombardment and disabling trade routs of the sea to be a Naval battle.

In conclusion: It only takes one navy to have naval battles.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

I disagree. Japanese culture was (and probably still is) exceptionally different from any other mentality at the time, still worshiping a supreme monarch and being extremely, extremely nationalistic in nature. This may be difficult to comprehend if you come from a country which has lived for a long period of time as democratic, but there's no real doubt that the Japanese wouldn't have surrendered.

This can be proven in many ways. The most obvious example would be the kamikaze pilots, followed by fanatical suicide fighters on the battles of Iwo Jima and other island territories which held no real value other than just being something under the Japanese flag.

Furthermore, you can find a lot of post-war literature published by many of the Japanese military minds and other such people in positions of power who advocated fighting to the very last man, woman, and child. Being a country with no real form of freedom of speech, thought, or creativity, it was pretty easy to manipulate the populace.

Granted, I think they would have surrendered even without a nuclear bomb, but something had to jolt them out of their nationalistic stupor. If the firebombings of Tokyo didn't work (and it didn't... but rather fueled their spirit just like the blitzkrieg raids on London), it wasn't likely that a naval blockade or even a full scale invasion would have.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »

Well that certainly explains Red Alert 3.

Though I am not sure how much of a fight Japan could really give with a blocked port and many of their major cities exposed.

Though Id think the War being expencive is just as good of a excuse to nuclear bomb Japan as there being casualties. (The Nukes killed quite a few people just being built)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:31:34 pm by Neonivek »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 07:37:57 pm »

They should make a game where the United States goes insane and finishes what it started by bombing Japan into a lump of fused glass, and destroying the militaries of most other countries in the world. You play as a group of former Serbian terrorists who have become the world's only chance at stopping the bloodcrazed U.S. military, led by a cyber-enhanced Dick Chaney.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:19 pm »

They should make a game where the United States goes insane and finishes what it started by bombing Japan into a lump of fused glass, and destroying the militaries of most other countries in the world. You play as a group of former Serbian terrorists who have become the world's only chance at stopping the bloodcrazed U.S. military, led by a cyber-enhanced Dick Chaney.

Yeah but you just know it ends with a small group of Japanese pretty boys/girls blasting their way through the United States army and killing the president only to learn that there was in fact a Shadow President who presides in Canada!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »

All the while serving the Catholic church which is secretly a front for an ancient Satanic cult led by a figure known only as "Mr. X".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 08:02:37 pm »

Who later turns out to be an immortal vampire that backed various wars in the western world that had his interests at heart.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 08:06:06 pm »

Who later turns out to be an immortal vampire that backed various wars in the western world that had his interests at heart.

Which as it turns out vampires were originally from the lost City of Atlantis which came from outer space. Which in turn means that Vampires are an alien plot.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:39 pm »

Of course the aliens were being controlled by a mysterious organization of dimension hopping entities, who's sole purpose is to twist the plot line and provide a cliffhanger for the sequel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5