Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding sieges into small forts  (Read 2008 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding sieges into small forts
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »

Is there any way I can get sieges with a population of 7 dwarves? I basically want sieges to start at the beginning. I know that removing the snatcher tag makes the attacks come sooner but how do I make them always sieges? I want to make a sieige gauntlet fort where the whole game is just about surviving continuous attacks
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding sieges into small forts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »

I believe Fortress value is a good part in the formula of sieges. So make a reaction to make some valuable useless stone you dump into the nearby magma pipe/chasm/atom smasher.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:39:44 pm »

Step 1: create a non-speaking goblin race (replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN]). Make sure you remove [SNATCHER].

Step 2: create four new non-speaking goblin civs in entity_standard.txt. Make sure you give them unique names (like [ENTITY:EVIL_1] through [ENTITY:EVIL_4])
have one of these civs active in each of the four seasons
set all three progress triggers (trade, production, and population) to 1.

That way, you should end up with four separate goblin civs attacking you. The advantage is that each civ will siege for just one season, so they will leave quickly (and then be reinforced by new troops) rather than hanging out for a long time. As well, they shouldn't skip seasons. Trade trigger 1 is just around 1000 exported wealth, so you should get sieged your first winter fairly easily. If you're producing a lot of things (like blocks, crafts, or mugs), I've seen them show up as early as the first summer.

You may also want to remove the autumn-active one, since it can interfere with the dwarven caravan showing up (and, since they won't skip, can prevent it from ever showing up after the first time).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:47 pm »

If this works: your rock. Sounds like the challenge I have been searching for. I will just wait for my adventurer to die. Also I am going to use the goblin mod to make them a bit beefier and stop them carrying heaps of useless clothing

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:03 pm »

Alternately, you could let Kobold thieves steal a lot of stuff. Then they would send raiding parties after you.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »

Step 2: create four new non-speaking goblin civs in entity_standard.txt. Make sure you give them unique names (like [ENTITY:EVIL_1] through [ENTITY:EVIL_4])
set all three progress triggers (trade, production, and population) to 1.

I'm pretty sure setting them all to 0 would make them show up immediately.  Dwarves have 0 for trading, so I assume it means they show up no matter what.  Or remove progress triggers completely - I think that translates to no prerequisites (though following the plan, it would me you're sieged the first summer).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:13:26 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »

My experimenting has made me think that 0 makes them ignore that trigger (which would make sense for the dwarves, it would never trigger. I've suspected that the dwarven caravan in the first autumn is hard-coded, though I've never gone and actually tested it). I've found pop 1 is around 20 dwarves, and trade is around 1k exported wealth. Not sure about production, though.
Try my orc mod!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:46 pm »

Pop 1 is exactly 20, it's where you turn from an outpost into a hamlet.  Pop 2 when you turn into a village, and so forth.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 02:54:47 pm »

My experimenting has made me think that 0 makes them ignore that trigger

I can confirm, at least for seiging races, that 0 seems to result in no seiges at all.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »

Pop 1 is exactly 20, it's where you turn from an outpost into a hamlet.  Pop 2 when you turn into a village, and so forth.

This is so cool, I have been looking for a list of when your fortress will change but have never before been able to find one!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »

Is that actually necessary? In my last map I had a race that traded with  every single seasons. The first season the dwarves came, my custom race actually came too. I had two sets of  merchants in the depot simultaneously.  And I've definitely had sieges while merchants were  visiting, so I'm not sure there's anything to worry about with putting every single season on one entity.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:26:34 pm »

Is that actually necessary? In my last map I had a race that traded with  every single seasons. The first season the dwarves came, my custom race actually came too. I had two sets of  merchants in the depot simultaneously.  And I've definitely had sieges while merchants were  visiting, so I'm not sure there's anything to worry about with putting every single season on one entity.

Probability of not showing up in a season seems to be linked to number of active seasons: goblins are active all four seasons, but definitely don't show up every time, whereas dwarves/humans/elves are active only in one season and very seldom don't show up (unless there is a siege at the time). Having 4 entities vs. one should increase the chance of getting a siege each season.
Try my orc mod!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:15 pm »

If the traders spawn before the seige in the season, they both spawn no problem, but traders will never spawn while you have a seige in progress.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »

Progress report:
I did everything as instructed, and got no sieges. I waited 1 year and then abandoned. The reason I abandoned was to check on the embark screen if I was actually at war with any goblini civs. I was at war with 3, so fine there. I then reclaimed the fort, but one of my nooby dwarves butchered a fire imp and set the food stockpile on fire. 35 dwarves have died so far out of 40 and the fires are still raging.

Someone said that trigger pop:1 is equal to hamlet or 20 dwarves. This is very important as the name of the thread and it's highest priority, was getting sieges on the smallest fort possible. I wanted full sieges with a popcap below 10 if possible. I should be able to handle 20 dwarves though if it really isnt possible. Being able to control how early, how often and how large the sieges were are also important secondary goals however.

So here are my further questions (I will be continuing with building a hamlet to test that the sieges are coming and experiment with the size and frequency of them.):

1) Is it possible to have sieges with less than 20 dwarves
2) If I have 21 dwarves and 2 die, will the sieges continue
3) Is there any way to adjust the size of sieges
4) Why didnt the butcher shop burn down? In fact why didn't the dwarf carrying the corpse/meat catch fire? This one isn't really a question it's just a complaint about a bug. Toady is at this very moment working on wounding with heat though and I expect this bug will have been thrown out with the code that contained it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:03:57 pm »

I'm not sure about the current version, but back before the world-gen changes I had a civ that was set to attack at progress triggers of 1. They didn't always attack the first year, but I often got attacks the first winter right after the dwarven caravan had left. I think the export of goods is the main trigger there, so you'll want to make sure you export at least 1000.

My solution to this has always been to bring a smith, some coal, and a platinum nugget. As long as the smith is even moderately skilled with metalcrafting you can easily get several thousand out worth of crafts of the platinum. Trade that all to the caravan and you should be sieged either in the winter or spring.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2