Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a DF Proxy  (Read 1376 times)

Aleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a DF Proxy
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:49 am »

Hi All,
Wow, it's been a while since I last looked at this forum.  Real life and related conditions have kept me busy lately.  Nevertheless, I still have a sort of dormant interest in DF, stimulated occasionally by other blind people I know stumbling on it and mentioning it to me in tones of envy.
I realize the odds of my ever being able to play it for myself are slim to none, but all this being said I am looking for a proxy.  Is there anybody here interested in perhaps having me look over their virtual shoulder, so to speak, and possibly make some suggestions as they play?  Is this even practical given the realtime nature of DF?  I don't know how quickly it progresses or how viable the pause feature is, but I'm persistent if anybody's willing to try this.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Best and thanks,
Aleric.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a DF Proxy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:41 am »

If you could inform me of what a Proxy is supposed to do, how we would go about it, and so on, I would be more than happy to oblige.

- Kayla

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:00:14 am »

Your best bet would be to join in as year two or three of a succession fortress. Assuming the first person is any good the basics will be down and anything you mess up just adds to the history, and that early won't be critical anyway :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:07:56 am »

Your best bet would be to join in as year two or three of a succession fortress. Assuming the first person is any good the basics will be down and anything you mess up just adds to the history, and that early won't be critical anyway :)

It's not that he's bad at the game, it's that he's blind.

But yes, a heavily narrated succession game would probably work best -- people report on all the interesting happenings so that the other players can read about them, and some of them are pretty hilarious.  There's a repository of famous completed succession games here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19294.0

Also, I enjoy the "Fun but sad/disturbing stories" thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24088.0

None of those will quite give you the experience of playing, but they do capture some of its best moments.

Aleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:38 am »

If you could inform me of what a Proxy is supposed to do, how we would go about it, and so on, I would be more than happy to oblige.

- Kayla
Hi,
I'm glad to hear back so soon.  The way I had pictured it was for my proxy to give as detailed an account of what he or she was doing as possible, maybe over AIM or Skype or some similar service that allows for near-realtime communication.  The more detailed someone is the easier it will be for me to get into the spirit of things, so to speak, and understand what's going on.  I know next to nothing about playing the game myself, so would probably have to defer to the proxy in some cases, but I'm pretty sure I could learn like anybody else.
Hope this helps,
Aleric.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:16:14 am »

Aleric, I'll send you details in your inbox. You should be able to check it at the top with My Messages.

Edit: If the PM system works. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:18:10 am by Kayla »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »

Why is this thread posted twice?

Edit:  Of course the one I read first isn't the one that mentions his blindness.   My apologies!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:17:59 pm by Capntastic »