Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map Editor?  (Read 4176 times)

Greedish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Map Editor?
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:49 am »

Is there such a thing as a map editor that I can use to modify or create a new local map? I want to fine tune a map to be exactly what my fortress needs.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Map Editor?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:01:07 am »

To quote the good senior senator from Alaska,

NO!
!!&!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:24:05 am »

lies. I see discussions about them all the time. or all those just world-editors?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:03 am »

lies. I see discussions about them all the time. or all those just world-editors?

You're thinking of the world gen, that's where you set some (fairly loose) parameters and the game will generate a new world for you. I think greedish is looking for a map editor that either lets you build a new one from scratch, tile by tile, or change an existing one beyond what your dwarves can do. Neither exists as far as I know.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:53 am »

no. no. I'm really not:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22342.0

That's the world one. Converts picture files to world maps, near as I can tell. (doesn't always work well w/ vista it seems, so I'm havin difficulty.)

I know you can insert magma into a map with some utility (I think dwarf compnion), but I thought there was a tile-by tile Fortress Map editor of some sort as well. (can't find the link, tho.)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:39 am »

I stand pleasantly corrected...

How do I not know about this already?!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:28:51 am »

I;ve been having trouble finding the Fortress Map one. I think it's because threads about these usually pop up then vanish again after just a few posts, and the lists of utilites are hard to sort through.

There are some interesting tools out there. Some of the people running Community fortress stories use them for storyline purposes, I should ask them for a list. (but am probably too lazy)
[/quote]

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »

There is an add-on for tweak you could use.

I WILL NOT HELP YOU SET UP TWEAK OR THE UTILITY.
So you should read the wiki pages for help with installation. Yes, installing all this crap is frustrating. If you want it, just keep jumping through the hoops.

Tweak: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak
For Each Tile: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Exponent/For_Each_Tile

Just to warn you, occupancy flags are a little bit buggy in For Each Tile 0.6 so if you drain a muddy pond, the game still thinks that it's impassible.
The last version it works on is 40d because nobody's found the memory locations for the 40d# versions.

Anyway, For Each Tile can be used in-game to change a whole bunch of tiles all at once. It could be used, for instance, to flood the entire map with magma in a single click.

Good luck! It should be more than powerful enough to suit your wants/needs.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »

THank you Peewee. I understand how annoying these things have been for others to install, don't worry, you'll be left in peace.
I have but one question, so I know whether it's worth it to start the hoop-jumping
 - is there hope that they'll (eventually) run on Vista.

Yes, Vista:
Vista the vile, Vista the unloved;
Mad Vista, of 64 bit insanity, with two different Programs folders;
Dread Vista, who guards its "included .NET" jealously;
Damned Vista, who must take up the guise of another OS just to speak the name Office 2003;

Vista.  :-[
[/quote]

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:08:13 am »

It should be noted that, while for each tile, which I have used, is capable of changing the state of a tile, it is not exactly what I would call trivial to do more than change one type of rock to another. Also, do be cautious, as it does cause a few bugs every now and then.

You won't be able to paint in magma pipes or anything, but it does enable at least basic editing. Unless you're planing on dropping water you make on magma you make, I'm not sure it's possible to make mountains or anything like that.
!!&!!

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:38:35 am »

The map editor comes with the Dwarf Fortress Gold Edition Box set, along with the "Making of" DVD, a mouse pad, a concept art book and a Dwarf action figure signed by Toady.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:06:50 am »

curse you spartan.

my tired brain actualy beleived you for a few seconds there.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:57 pm »

It damn well better anyway, that'd be ri-god-damn-diculously awesome.