Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Island of hope (community fortress)  (Read 2132 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Island of hope (community fortress)
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:29 am »

We were lost. It was a harsh trek to where we now stand, but in a place known only as "The Brutal Tundra", it was to be expected. A blizzard drove us away from the rest of the caravan. We have naught but a wagon with scant supplies. But we have dwarves. We will persist. We were lucky to find an island of hope in a sea of death and despair.

You can be any sort of dwarf you wish, though I would suggest at least one person be a miner and another a woodcutter. You have 200 points to spend on your skills and your things. I will bring the battle axe and some food, as well as be the record keeper and broker. There is sand, so don't be afraid to be a glass-maker.

I would also like a fairly detailed backstory the civilization's name is The Treaties of Mist.

Olam was a nobleman from the mountain-homes. He agreed to go upon the expedition east to record the geological conditions of The Insightful Hill. It's a moneyless job, but it is a great honor to record the stories of the stones themselves.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:47:31 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
Re: Island of hope (community fortress)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:34 am »

Name: Zerg (Male)
Skills: Prof. Bonecarver, Prof. Bowyer
Items: 10 Tower cap logs (To be made into bins) Hunting Dog (To be assigned to him)

"Why did I even agree to take this bloody job?" I muttered under my own breath as the blizzard raged on, "It doesn't even pay well." I stopped for a moment and shook the snow from my beard, then glanced over at my companions. Oh yes, I remembered, some stinking noble had ordered ten hammerings to me for not making him a statue of himself.
"Pheh" I grunted aloud. I carve crossbows and bolts for a living, not stone.
But it all came back in a painful flash, the late-night chase through the fortress with the hammerer hot on my heels, hiding in the wilderness. and then signing on with a passing caravan. I was never going to see my friends back at the old fortress again.
"At least you'll never mandate statues boy" he said to his loyal dog. The dog barked at him and wagged his tail.
"Bah, lets go we're falling behind" I started to once again trudge through the snow. Ah well, at least I can get a new start whenever we get to the new outpost. Hopefully...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:19:30 am by ZergSpartan »
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:30:52 am »

I'll take one.

Name: Kirea
Profession: Herbalist/Brewer/Cook, profession title "Witch"
Description: Kirea comes from a long line of disgraced witches and magicians, poorly playing tricks on the eyes and brewing potions that seem to have no effect on the drinker. She joined the expedition to perfect her art and perhaps bring legitimacy to being called a witch.
Personality: You know what witches are like: snarling, children eating, disgusting, odd women. She should act like that but less confident.

Items to bring along: Some exotic meats, like lizardman meat (which she can pretend has special effects on people). Booze, seeds, a few flasks, and anything else that I can't think of but you can.

If she could have a preference for vermin if possible, that would be good so that she can adopt one in the future as her familiar.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:44:26 am »

I love building fortresses in the freezing glaciers.

Name: Captain Affy
Pref. sex: Male
Professions: Competent axedwarf, competent armor user and novice woodcutter.

Try to bring an axe and a leather armor of some kind. Preferably of the animal he likes. He would also like to become the Captain of the Guards.

Being one of the caravan guards Affy was devoted to his mission of defending the wagons. After becoming lost in the blizzard he has decided to defend the group he found himself in to the last breath.
Comming from a poor hole further south he is not used to this type of climate. He joined the caravans to get away from his old life, since his old home was plauged by goblins he had learned to use his axe to both cut wood and to reove the goblins head from their body. He rose in the ranks of the guards, and found himself as the captain of the caravan guards.
He looks first and foremost for loyalty towards himself and the leader of the group when choosing members for the military and guards.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:22:21 am by Aardvark »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:58:05 am »

Looks like fun!

Name: Kornash
Profession: Competent stone crafter, competent engraver, the rest in wrestling please.

Story:

Kornash was probably the least known dwarf in the group, and that was how he liked it. Kornash was once a great warrior from another dwarven civilisation, renowned and respected by many. He made himself a name for being a highly dedicated soldier, refusing to abort a task assigned to him even when grievously wounded, in the end that was probably what caused the downfall of his civilsation.

You see, during one of his missions his group was ambushed by goblins and many were killed, being as single minded as he was, Kornash ignored the losses and pushed onwards. Only after killing the target he was sent after did he and his squad hear the news - the mission was given to Kornash by a planted goblin spy to draw him away while an army attacked the capital and killed the kingdom. If he had returned after the ambush he would of probably arived in time to prevent this disaster. After the death of the king the civilisation crumbled and Kornash fled to the Treaties of Mist under the guise of a crafstdwarf.

It has been many years since then and Kornash has lost many of his once great combat skills, but he still retains some of the hand to hand knowledge of his past as well as some skills from his new profession.

It's a pretty low quality backstory but meh.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:30:08 am »

This looks interesting, and it doesn't look like you have a miner yet!

Name: Belgur(if male), Beit(if female)
Profession: Prof. Miner, Prof. Mason

His biggest love has always been food, but sometimes food is rather expensive, isn't it? And it's never fun when you can't pay. No further explanation needed for his reasons to join. He has a lot of secrets, but says he decided to put them all behind him and is a fun, carefree person(if female, just adjust add 's' to the 'he's).
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:27 am »

Name:Splenda
Profession:Prof. Mechanic, Prof. Miner (make him a hammerdwarf when his profession is no longer needed
Item:Pick, (hammer if there is budget)

He is a private dwarf. He doesn't tremendously like other dwarves, and much preferes the gentle hum of complicated machinery. As such, he keeps to himself. He takes orders, has little ambition, but also has endless recourcefulness and creativity. when the rest are deciding a policy, he is staunchly silent. But when there is a problem to solve, he always has an idea or two, usually a brilliant one.

He left the mountainhomes to find relief from it's endless bureaucrocy and red tape. and figured he would accompany a a trade caravan until he got to some place warm (he hates the cold). As such, he is very unhappy to be stuck on a glacier, and volunteered to dig out lodgings to escape the freezing wind. He may or may not have been in the military (a rumor started bacause of the large, ornate hammer a couple of the others think they may have seen).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:50:15 am by Splendiferous »
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

4th Granite, 301.

We had actually made  it to a place more hospitable than the Brutal Tundra. To the west appeared to be a dense boreal forest. At first the other six thought I was suffering from snow madness, but they had nowhere else to go. It took three days for Splenda and Beit to carve out a simple burrow for us to keep warm in. I don't think anyone could have had a more miserable three days.

Not only were we assaulted by cold, but by little monkeys. Macaques! this far north! It seems the wildlife here has adapted to the cold. Luckily, Captain Affy and Zerg's mutt drove them off. Zerg... Why does that name seem familiar? No. It couldn't be him...

It turns out that after we bought the equipment, there were exactly enough points left to buy an anvil. Woo!
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »

As a side note, when I saw the title of this thread, I pictured a band of dwarves colonizing an island shaped like Obama's face.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:40:54 pm »

I'd like to claim an immigrant.

Name: Keldor
Profession: Glassmaker / Jeweler
Sex: Either

Keldor came out to the wastes after hearing rumors of a great city of glass.  After months of fruitless searching, he/she came across the small settlement of dwarves eking out their existance after being stranded at a small frozen oasis in the desert.  Having despaired of ever finding the glass city, yet unwilling to return home empty-handed, and seeing that the place had abundant sand, Keldor decided that if he/she could not find the fabled glass city, that he/she would simply have to build it himself/herself.  Keldor envisions great spires of glass, glittering with gems set alight by the setting sun...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:40:33 pm »

Since you have an anvil, and I saw magma on your embark map...

Name: Shoruke
Profession: Furnace operator, weapon/armor smith, blacksmith, and metal crafter. Basically the only part of metal production I don't do is mining out the ores.

Story: Having been a smith for a short while back at the mountainhome, I found that it's too hard to find work for a smith; the mountainhomes are already well-equipped, and the legendary smiths get preference for jobs. So, seeking both excitement and employment, I came to some frozen wasteland that apparently has lots of metal stuff to make and nobody to make it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:42:12 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

If you'd like an immigrant, I'll be "Pytiir" the Smelter. I will have no task enabled other than furnace operating; and I must always be smelting.
Smelt! SMELT! SMMEEEEEEEELLLLLLTTTTTTTT!!!!!

If I must have more tasks, I will do other generalized fire-entensive operations, such as wood burning and kilning. Only may haul as a last resort.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:11:22 pm »

7th Slate, 301
After the blizzard calmed down, I decided to send Kirea to gather some plants, we were short on food. She returned after a few hours. "I found ten great specimens of blade weed."

"Can we ear it?"

"You
can eat it, deary, but it'd cut your throat to pieces."

I sent Splenda and Beit to try and tap the aquifer so we have something to drink if our booze runs out. Shortly after the pit was dug, we heard a rumbling sound. We screamed for the miners. There was no response. We retreated into the burrow.
The looks the others gave me. I thought they were going to kill me. Suddenly, a pick burst through the side of the burrow. It was some sort of deep black creature. Captain Affy raise his axe before they wiped their faces off. It was Beit and Splenda covered in soot! They'd carved out a functional aquifer tap. We rejoiced and decided to liquor up. The last of the booze was gone.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:28:24 pm by Psyco Jelly »

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »

2nd of Galena, 301

We were awoken by a loud howling outside of the burrow. We had just pierced the aquifer, and the noise must have attracted some fell beast. I heard a scream. Captain Affy ran outside as fast as his legs could carry him. There was some abomination, a wolf-man, standing over an unconscious Splenda. With a mighty chop, the Captain tore the beast's leg off. Before it could react, he sliced once more, and off came the head. We brought Splenda back to the burrow, and Kirea administered some plant or other. He remains in bed, but he shows no sign of transformation.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:58:52 pm by Psyco Jelly »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:06:22 am »

If Splenda does turn into a werewolf at some point, good thing there's a witch nearby who can (incompetently) provide aid and possibly (but probably not) cure him, with a mix of herbs and other oddities (that will do nothing).
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2