Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Snow Dwarves  (Read 1719 times)

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Snow Dwarves
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:29 pm »

I'm basically working on making a small expansion, mostly geared toward arctic regions and what inhabits them. (Penguins, Arctic Terns, NARWHAL! etc]
So essentially they will be dwarven eskimos, using bones, leather, and whatever rocks available beneath glaciers/tundra to build, along with ice for igloos.
I hope to have new creatures (seals, for clubbing. Dire seals for comical revenge scenarios)
along with various mythological creatures related to the inuit (Ai'sivang, Quallypilluit)
New Weapons (polar bear bone, narwhal horn spears, maybe even ice weapons?]
New clothing (leather, fur, etc]
wish me luck, eh.
Any suggestions for the dwarves themselves to make them more awesome?
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:22:27 am »

Walrus and penguin -men!
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:30 am »

Try and make it so they'll still die outside in some climates (I can send you a world to show what I mean, if you want) but can tolerate what normally would be lethal temperatures. Seal clubbing is a great idea, by the way.

You might also want to add in some races to trade with. Normal traders might just freeze to death on the map.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:05 am »

Maybe the walrus and penguinmen can have trading civs! :)
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:20 am »

The penguin/walrus men could be more elf-like, in that they wouldn't really have established buildings, or something.
I dunno.
That's a good point about traders freezing to death, and i'm not really sure where to go with that problem.
Well, in all fairness I forgot about that because there are humans nearby for me, as i'm using the mod that adds Nords, Nippon, Etc.
Oops, will add another though, for extra insurance.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:08 am »

Hey, poonrat, just add some LAYERING to races and they'll live in your cold areas fine. However if you played with my mod with nords you should know that their cities are sometimes bad for adventure mode. I mean, when it's spring and glaciers start to melt, all the moving water causes huge CPU hit.

Also as you saw I've added snow stags and mammoths and plan to add penguins so I need more arctic animals. You can borrow the sprites I've already drawn and we can share some creatures. You know, there can be more ideas in two heads than in one :).

If someone else is interested my mod is in my signature.

Oh, about walrusmen, I'm pretty sure someone has made a pretty tileset with them,  the thread was called something like "small races", you can look for in on other pages. I don't know the state of that mod, but the author may share his beautiful sprites. I like them very much.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:58:53 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:16 am »

i'd be interested in colloborating, we could possibly greatly expand on the world's diversity of races, allowing for a great amount of randomness in world gen (I.E. a world ruled by the chinese or something)
Also, i recently got some stuff from the gobworld thing, really nice, adds more diversity to the bastards that attack you.
: D
err, later.
nobody of great interest

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

Snow dwarves would be awesome. I really like the thought of slightly-barbaric, fur-coated, axe-wielding maniacs as opposed to 'nilla dwarves.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »

Dont try to make them glacier exclusive, I've tried that.

Tundra only for you : p
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:49 pm »

I've done something similar in one of my mods - made Gnomes a type of Halfling / Elephant people, and I've got a species of them that act much along these lines.

What is it with us DF players and the cold? When we first got the custom worldgen options in, we all started making entirely frozen worlds.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:58:22 pm »

Well, I already have them to tundra/glacier/taiga.
I'm not stupid enough to put them as glacier exclusive.
I was thinking about making them wield vokda bottles and dead fish as weapons, but I dont think that'd work as they aren't metal wood stone or bone, correct? (i guess a fish COULD be part bone)
So far the Ai'Sivang is complete, upperbody of a woman with a spider's lowerbody/legs
Can inject venom, etc.
nobody of great interest

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »

I guess the real thing is that I wanted russians, and eskimos, so why not combine them into one bad-ass sub-race of bear punching, narwhal wrestling, seal clubbing beardlings?
nobody of great interest

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:06:13 am »

: (
I broke everything.
I went to a "SNOW DWARVEN" town and found it was ovverun by seals, no snowdwarves to be found, just normal ones (barely any) and all the buildings were doorless.
I have no idea what i'm doing, to be honest

also...dwarves in general have been not wanting to jobs at all. This has been going on for a while now...
ugh.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:20:06 am by PoonHat »
nobody of great interest

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 08:03:01 am »

Did you make a custom creature called "snow dwarves" or did you put normal dwarves in the creature tag of the entity file?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:23 am »

I made creatures.
Currently it's working occasionally, but the one world I generated where the appeared had a missing entity tag because I was removing/adding things when generating, because I was unaware of the copy running generating a world.
Oops.
nobody of great interest

Pages: [1] 2