Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Ambush! Skulking Vermin!  (Read 1332 times)

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
An Ambush! Skulking Vermin!
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »

Well, I started a new fortress, things seemed to be pretty well, I was just about to finish my waterworks, and let the water flow, when I got this message:

Alright, an ambush, it feels kind of early, but the goblins will all march right into my little trap hall I set up to hold everyone off until I build up a military, then I can go back t... wait, something seems different about this message...

OH GOODNESS HOW DID THIS HAPPEN

I've never seen Kobolds ambush before. Are the kobolds going to siege me? Things are going to go very, very badly, since I tend to trap and turtle
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: An Ambush! Skulking Vermin!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:50 pm »

Kobolds will begin to attack you if you let them get away with enough loot. The more successful they get, the bigger the attacks will get (as opposed to goblins, whose number of attackers increase with the passage of time).

Okay, who else saw the title and expected ninja wamblers?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »

I thought the topic was about the Kobolds name which I find quite humorous, they always have weird names.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:06:19 pm »

I thought the topic was about the Kobolds name which I find quite humorous, they always have weird names.

whenever I read it, I imagine someone sneezing and swearing at the same time

"oh for fuJROKOKOBLEERSNUS"

Kobolds will begin to attack you if you let them get away with enough loot.

...oh dear god. I let them steal an artifact earring, I thought they were doing me a favor
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

Kobolds are fairly weak.  I think on par with elves or worse.  War dogs and/or one well-equipped dwarf should kill the entire ambush, barring marksbolds.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:54:51 am »

They ambush only once or twice before trying to steal again

They probably path to the nearest valuable so building map edge warehouses should probably get you consistent kobold harassment

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:08:51 am »

Kobolds are fairly weak.  I think on par with elves or worse.  War dogs and/or one well-equipped dwarf should kill the entire ambush, barring marksbolds.

Kobolds are weaker then elves, true, however they have slightly better equipment (copper vs wood).  I'm not sure if a war dog could beat them 1v1, however a single dog certainly can NOT stop a whole ambush on his own - peasants and even skilled tradesmen don't stand a chance. Even legendary miners can be taken down if they get attacked alone (though they will usually take out many of the kobolds). You are right that they don't pose much of a threat to properly outfitted soldiers who have decent skills though.

I'd much, much rather have goblins or elves (or even humans) attack me then kobolds. Considering they are trap immune and good at sneaking, the first sign of them is usually some poor cheese maker being brutalized as opposed to the other races who throw themselves on your traps.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:06 am »

Kobolds are weaker then elves, true, however they have slightly better equipment (copper vs wood).  I'm not sure if a war dog could beat them 1v1, however a single dog certainly can NOT stop a whole ambush on his own - peasants and even skilled tradesmen don't stand a chance. Even legendary miners can be taken down if they get attacked alone (though they will usually take out many of the kobolds). You are right that they don't pose much of a threat to properly outfitted soldiers who have decent skills though.

I'd much, much rather have goblins or elves (or even humans) attack me then kobolds. Considering they are trap immune and good at sneaking, the first sign of them is usually some poor cheese maker being brutalized as opposed to the other races who throw themselves on your traps.

You must have some odd legendaries. There have been stories of legendaries wiping out whole sieges on their own. Of course they likely have good equipment, but still.

I'm sure you could get a group of not terribly skilled fighters to take them out. Of course, these being spearkobolds, have a chance of poking their heart out.

Axedwarf: JROKOKOBLEERSNUS! You returned!
 JROKOKOBLEERSNUS: Alas, I have found another. I'm sorry Urist...
 Axedwarf: YOU BASTARD! YOU SAID WHAT WE HAD WAS SPECI-
 *Stab*
 Axedwarf: Urk!
 JROKOKOBLEERSNUS: I didn't want it to end this way!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO