Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mecha rpgs  (Read 3695 times)

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mecha rpgs
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:58:11 pm »

Looking for:

Mecha RPGs. Customizable pilots and somewhat customizable mechas. I really enjoyed the style of FM1. Skill growth felt natural until you hit 9999+ and became an unkillable monster. Mecha building didn't take ten hours, but could've been slightly more in depth.

Gearheads is too freeform (I have to run around as a PERSON? Ew), and Titans of Steel felt a bit too complicated, though I'm going to give it another shot. I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the idea of not being able to shoot and walk at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mecha rpgs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »

I was going to suggest GearHead when I read your first paragraph... >_<

You are not forced to take any personal-scale quest in GearHead though... so you only need to fight on-foot for towns under attack. Otherwise, it's only for conducting town businesses. The other features of GearHead are too good to pass it up...

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »

I guess I'll give gearheads another try. I got slightly past fighting the rat before deciding "WOW NOT BEING A GIANT MECHA SUCKS MONKEYS" and raging in frustration.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »

This reminds me that I must go bother Asheron about his little Mecha RPG project.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:22 pm »

You could try Front Mission for the SNES, I guess. It's sort of fun.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:03 pm »

I was going to suggest Mechwarrior: Crescent Hawk's Inception/Revenge, but it seems to be what you don't want. Depending on your skills, a good portion of the game could be spent on foot.

EDIT: My bad. Sean's got it. The name's BattleTech, not Mechwarrior.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:51:55 pm by Mephisto »

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:00 pm »

Hmm. It looks like I abbreviated Front Mission to FM1 in the first post. Should've been more specific / name dropping. My bad. By the way, FM1 = best RPG EVER.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »

There's also that mech fighting game Asheron was making.  Thread around here somewhere, but he got stalled after just getting the menus working.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:58:19 am »

For an action RPG, there is Front Mission: Gun Hazard for the SNES.

Front Mission 4 for the PS2 is pretty good. Its much like the original, but with a vastly extended skill system. Two separate stories with different play strategies required for the two sides. Unfortunately I think the one side is too tedious, but you do eventually get around 15 mechs to control, but not upgrade, during battle. Those are just grunts though, not your main characters.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:57:59 am »

Well, if you're looking for a TBS/RTS Mech game (toggleable! Yes, games back when were awesome like that) then I can personally recomend  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberstorm_2:_Corporate_Wars CS2. Its pretty customizable in terms of loadouts, thought you can't change parts around. Great graphics for the time, and has pretty good sound.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:41 am »

Not Customizeable (maybe), but still fun

Metal Wolf Chaos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »

Well, there's the good(bad?) old Mechcommander 2, I kinda like it if it weren't for the stupidity of loadouts. 10 LRM racks instead of a gauss rifle on a Hollander? O RLY?

I could propose Silent Storm (it's got powered armor), but that's going a bit too far I guess. :P

There's also classic Battletech, and its PC representation MegaMek, but I suspect you know about it already. :)

Now, what else...  there's one game on the DS about "Wanzers", but I forgot its name - RPG/TBS, customization, just like you want it.

Aaand that's about all I can remember that wasn't mentioned and isn't an arcade-ey thing like Super Robot Wars OG/2. No, wait, there's A.I.M.2, but it's about gliders, not mecha.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 03:57:16 pm »

Now, what else...  there's one game on the DS about "Wanzers", but I forgot its name - RPG/TBS, customization, just like you want it.
Front Mission. It was already mentioned.

It reminded me of a Neo Geo Pocket Color game. Faselei! is quite fun. It's got the customization of Front Mission.

There's also a semi-roguelike on the same system - Biomotor Unitron.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 12:26:16 am »

Not Customizeable (maybe), but still fun

Metal Wolf Chaos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

Was that the PRESIDENT in a MECHA?
Pages: [1] 2