Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's a (Carp) trap!  (Read 1579 times)

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
It's a (Carp) trap!
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:33 pm »

The following is my prototype for the trap:
Code: [Select]
(Side View)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
___DDDDDDDD___
XXX\LLLLLL/XXX
X Wall or unmined
\ or / Stairs
D Drawbridge
L lower channel

The therory is that when invaders arrive the drawbridge will be retracted, forcing the invaders to path through the lower channel, the lower channel is filled with 4/7 of water and loose Carp.

Problem: Water wont stay at 4/7 for pathing reasons (currently adjusted with Dorfs armed with buckets)
Problem: Dorfs want to go down into channel for stupid reasons ( Leave that -bloody Pig tail sock- alone Urist!)
Problem: Capturing enough live Carp (Currently caught with a series of grates and waterlocks, often causes the lower channel to flood to 7/7, the 2-4 i get down there are often killed by kobold zerg rushes)

Any suggestions on how to improve it?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's a (Carp) trap!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:02:50 pm »

Cry havoc and let loose the carps of war.

It would be more effective and the carps would not die as easy if you had more water, but i guess that defeats the purpose.
I've not heard if it actually works but you could try making cage traps and flood the area so that the carp enters them.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:10 pm »

I was considering something similar to this, but wasn't sure that it would work. Now that it does, though...

Have the lower level accessible from underground, possibly with an additional door/trap system.
Fill it with your army while the drawbridge is closed and the invaders are walking towards it
Retract drawbridge, observe carnage!

It would be particularly effective for splitting squads of goblins, flanking, and negating bow/marksgoblin's range advantage. It could also be used as an emergency dwarven escape hatch, if you put some near your fishing/woodcutting areas.

Alternately: put a pump in the side on the lower level, attached to magma and a deactivated gear. When attacked, retract drawbridge, then engage the pump when your enemies are in the bottom. The magma won't flood out of the pit, but they will all die. Then, pump the magma back into the reservoir to make it ready for the next group (don't turn it into obsidian, you won't be able to channel it out again because of the bridge).

I'm also not sure how effective carp are now that they have been fixed, apart from the inherent dangers of fighting near 7/7 water. Maybe a system to flood the lower channel with 7/7 water + carp? You might be able to do it by "sucking" the carp behind floodgates using water flow, and then pushing them out with water pressure.

You'd probably want your reservoir to be the same area as the lower channel, but two levels high. Open floodgates, dispense carp. To get them back in, drain resevoir (possibly flushing with water from the other side), then refill to reset.

Bonus points: Put windows facing the inside of your fortress on one side of the carp holding chamber, so your dwarves have a giant aquarium.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »

If you want dwarves to stop going into your channel to pick stuff up, just forbid the stuff...

k -> scrolling to item -> f
d -> b -> f -> select area (for mass forbidding)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:31 pm »

It might be possible to maintain water level using specially set pressure plates. If the level is below 4/7 they would open the door/hatch that holds back extra water, and close it once level reaches 4/7. Just don't use floodgates 'cause they have a long delay time before reacting.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:25 pm »

If you want dwarves to stop going into your channel to pick stuff up, just forbid the stuff...

If you want to forbid the shredded remains of 15 kobolds be my guest.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

I once dropped a boatload of gobbos into a carp-infested river.

They just hung out like best buddies.  :(

Say, is it possible to edit the raws in order to make a particular animal attack attack some other animals on sight?

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:43:06 pm »

If you want to forbid the shredded remains of 15 kobolds be my guest.

d-b-f is exactly what you want here, it allows you to paint every object in an area forbidden without having to micromanage and k-f every single thing there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:07:51 pm by NooklearToaster »