Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The many wonders of Longland Grass  (Read 2333 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
The many wonders of Longland Grass
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:40 am »

Why, hello B12 community! While previous topics i have made here were ignorant to the restraints of the DF universe, I think I might know something possible.

Alright, so I want to make a European middle-ages castle. Using humans and the default human crops, I start...

And I think to myself "Jeez, there is way too much food here!" so I try something better than strawberries and prickle berries. Langland grass for flour and rope reed for drinks and cloth. Worked fine, but now I have too many bags of flour. Jeez...

Then there is the problem of the shacks. I don't want to use my valuable wood on roofs, but i need them to make them into rooms(And, you know, to have roofs). So here are my questions:

How do I make fields output a stupidly low amount of food? I assume we can only change the duration it takes for a crop to grow, but what should I set it to?

Is it possible to make a type of material called Longland Straw, which I could use as a construction material? I know it would be made at the forges, I'm fine with that. I just need to know how to turn Longland Grass into roof tiles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: The many wonders of Longland Grass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:01:29 pm »

1) Add to your matgloss_metal.txt
[MATGLOSS_METAL:METAL_LONGLAND]
[NAME:longland straw][ADJ:longland straw][COLOR:0:6:1]
[VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:12106]
[BOILING_POINT:13968]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1850]
[BRITTLE]

2) Add to your reaction_standard.txt
[REACTION:MAKE_STRAW]
[NAME:make longland straw]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:5:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:GRASS_LONGLAND:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:5:BLOCK:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:METAL_LONGLAND]

You can tweak input and output numbers to your liking.
You'll have to generate a new world for reactions to appear.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:04:12 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:25 pm »

Ah, danka. That is perfect.

What about crops themselves? How can I make them more difficult to grow large quantities? I know some things are hard coded so we cannot make crops much more difficult, but I would like to know the options when it comes to plants.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:16 pm »

IIRC, one season has a GROWDUR of 1008.

So give them high GROWDUR and remove [AUTUMN] and [WINTER]. Much harder to farm them now.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:20 pm »

Indeed. Already removed those months.

Although in a test run, I noticed problems with setting the whole season required for farming. I suppose you need time to plant the seeds in the first place. Hmm...

Wait, if a plant can survive in every season and they have a GROWDUR at the max, what problems will happen? I only tested this in Summer, so...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

It... shouldn't have a problem, I think, but I don't know.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »

Wait, if a plant can survive in every season and they have a GROWDUR at the max, what problems will happen? I only tested this in Summer, so...

Nothing bad. They just need to be growable in both their planting and harvesting seasons. Thus, I've got farmable wood with a growdur of just over 8000 (two years) active in all seasons, and Sun berries with a growdur of 4032 active only in summer. Both work fine (though you obviously can't use the sun berry field for anything else the other seasons).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

Nothing bad. They just need to be growable in both their planting and harvesting seasons. Thus, I've got farmable wood with a growdur of just over 8000 (two years) active in all seasons, and Sun berries with a growdur of 4032 active only in summer. Both work fine (though you obviously can't use the sun berry field for anything else the other seasons).

Props...

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »

I've found that giving plants a growdur of Two and one half seasons works pretty good for balance purposes, just make sure you bring plenty of seeds. Of course they will need [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN].
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:31:55 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:37:32 pm »

Huzzah! So setting it to force you to plant in the spring in the key, eh? This is perfect!

Now to get my middle-ages on!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:13:29 pm »

Holy carp, this is an awesome find!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »

Huzzah! So setting it to force you to plant in the spring in the key, eh? This is perfect!

Now to get my middle-ages on!

You can't plants if they would become harvest-able in an unsuitable season. Thus, setting growdur to 2.5 seasons and active seasons to spring and autumn (not summer!) would force you to plant them in the first half of spring for harvest in late fall. You might, however, be able to plant in the first half of fall for harvest in late spring, but you'd still be limited to a single harvest for the year. To prevent that, you could set a growdur of three seasons and be active spring/winter only, which would be planting in the spring and harvesting in the winter. You might not like that, though, I'm not sure.

If you allowed summer, you could possibly get off two harvests a year: plant in mid-summer, harvest +2.5 seasons later in early spring, then plant a new crop in the early spring to harvest in mid-late autumn. There would be some years when the re-planting or re-harvesting would fall in winter, but you'd be able to get some multi-harvest years if your dwarves were fast about it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:35 pm »

Deon, I can't recall, but I'm assuming from your post that you can't make metal burn? Because burning straw would be better than melting/vaporizing straw. Coal Burns, afterall, and it's a 'bar'. If so, It would only take adding IGNITE_POINT info to match Bit. Coal.

[IGNITE_POINT:11440]

If not, blocks of ''thatch'' might work to make it flammable.

cribbing heavily:
1)  Add to your matgloss_stone_mineral.txt
[MATGLOSS_STONE:STONE_LONGLAND] compressed straw.
[NAME:thatch][STONE_NAME:longland thatch][COLOR:0:6:1][TILE:240]
[BASIC_COLOR:6:0]
[VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1850]

2) Add to your reaction_standard.txt
[REACTION:MAKE_THATCH1]
[NAME:make longland thatch]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:5:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:GRASS_LONGLAND:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:5:BLOCK:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:STONE_LONGLAND]
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »

If this is actually grass then, you would probably want a lower ignite point, preferably something that won't combust in high heat deserts, but if there is a fire then it should combust.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 10:48:24 am »

Amazing, I never knew that you could plant so that it would go through unplantable seasons. I had always assumed that it wouldn't work. It seems that exactly two and a half seasons might not give you enough time to plant, when i was testing it cut off halfway through early spring.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: [1] 2