Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123656 times)

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile

I think some things about this version are worse than the previous version. Also, some multi-purpose tiles are not taken into account. For instance, horizontal walls are also used as planted farm plots, and there is nothing you can do about that. For that reason, walls should always be done from an overhead view, and in a manner that is not too shocking when seen in a farm.

For instance, here is a version of your set with the walls (and a few other things) taken from another set, which I think works better.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*nod* you make a good point. Maybe I'll offer overhead walls as one of the options in the next version. Personally, I have a strong dislike of overhead view walls. They also create a painful visual clash with the creature sprites due to the mismatched perspective.

If you have any other specific examples of multi-use problems, please share them. I don't play enough to be confident that I've seen every multi-use tile, and I don't trust the wiki to be complete.

What did you like less in this version versus the previous one?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Except that alpha can have varying degrees (blending).
You can do it by color blending in the same way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, let's set this conversation to rest:

Here is a concrete example of something you cannot do with bmp. In the left column is the bmp sprite, in the middle is a transparency sprite. For completeness, the right hand side has a bmp sprite where variations of magenta are used to try to create the same effect. This is only included to be explicit about the fact that it does not work.

The top row is the sprite as it appears on the sheet
The middle row is a red wall with engravings (Foreground colour red, background colour white)
The bottom row is a red wall without engravings (Foreground colour red, background colour black)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*nods*

Since tiles have both a pattern and color, all the BMPs allow you to do is to either block or reveal the underlying color, there's no way to blend them as you have no idea what the underlying color is going to be. This is particularly important for things where the background color is dominant - such as outdoors and with stone since you can design your shrubs in such a way that they work for both brown and green. With alpha you can mute the eyeball scorching hue of microcline and orthoclase by adding a grey alpha without significantly disturbing the color of grey stone.

Martin returns to alphafying his set...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Really like the look of your tile set RR, but I encountered a glitch when I started up DF.

Basicly, part of the DF screen is cut off, like 1/4.  If this is a quick fix please let me know. Keep in mind I have just started to play around with modding, so keep it simple and lengthy. :)

Also, I have tried it on my Dig Deeper mod, a fresh DF copy, and your bundle package, all have the same results.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Orb, what's your screen resolution? The game may just be set to be too large for your screen.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile

Tile 224, fish, is also used for meat. Don't know if there's a way around this, but for some reason the bulging, blockier version of the fish worked better as meat for me than the sleek new one.

Tiles 1 and 2, dead dwarves, are also used in engravings, where the fact that they're lying down kinda ruins it. This also applies to what you have done with certain other creatures commonly appearing in engravings. Even just a letter would be better for that. I can deal with a letter as a dead body/engraving, but a lying down engraving is kinda weird.

Your stone tiles have had some background put in them, presumably so that they do not appear jet black when designated. On the other hand, the coloured gashes of background do not blend well with the progressive darkening of the rest of the tile. I would suggest using alpha for this, and switching to png (I would also suggest switching everything with a 7 as a background to an 8 or a 0 in the raws).

Just a few things, I'll post more as I think of them.

edit: I just thought of something else. Wall tiles are also used for bridges, and the tiles you use here absolutely ruin the graphics for bridges. As in: No way, no how, either bridges go or this tile-set does. Another thing is that the tiles you have used for chairs are also used for vertical bridges. Therefore, the chairs have to blend nicely with whatever wall tile you picked. The best way to deal with this in my opinion is to make them look like little stone benches: See the version I posted earlier for example.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:43:54 pm by Eagle0600 »
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Alright, let's set this conversation to rest:

Here is a concrete example of something you cannot do with bmp. In the left column is the bmp sprite, in the middle is a transparency sprite. For completeness, the right hand side has a bmp sprite where variations of magenta are used to try to create the same effect. This is only included to be explicit about the fact that it does not work.

The top row is the sprite as it appears on the sheet
The middle row is a red wall with engravings (Foreground colour red, background colour white)
The bottom row is a red wall without engravings (Foreground colour red, background colour black)

That's the clear example I needed to understand it completely :). Thank you.

As for the fish/meat, it's much easier to remap the fish to another tile (that's what I do), but if you don't want it, I prefer a sprite like this (a fast sketch so don't think it's the final way I see it in the game :D):
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clever Deon.

Hey, does anyone know what Toady is going to do in the new version to make graphic sets/tilesets more flexible?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

At least different castes should allow different "subraces" for a single race, and it's cool :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah he's not planning to do much with graphics this time around, but graphical improvement is very high on the eternal voting list, so he'll be addressing it soon (soon in DF terms).

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

My screen resolution is 1024x768.

Also, I noticed you can change the size of the window and font in the Init. I tried 800x600, it certainly is an improvement, but maybe 1/10 of the screen is cut off.

Any suggestions for a differant size? If not, I can just test with it till I get the right size.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, 1280 pixels is the minimum width for a 16x16 tile set (80 columns times 16 pixels). If you set BLACK_SPACE to YES that will force it to fit.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I just post here to inform that I dared to use your mod as a base version for my modification:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48538.0
which is supposed to be a "proper vanilla" version for me, with all minor fixes like cat mouth bug fix and additional attacks and proper bodies (i.e. no more two lungs+heart pierced with 1 strike), also more dangerous dragons and hydra (nopain for them; also hydra has no eyes and only one "real" brain out of 7).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38