Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123673 times)

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the way this looks. After installing your graphics set to vanilla 40d16, though, things looked a bit different from what you posted in your spoilers. Here's what it looks like when I play..

Any advice on how to make it look similar to the screenies you posted?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first thought is that looks like the files under raw/graphics/ aren't there.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d16 adds transparency possibilities, however usual magenta will do, so my previous posts are right.

The magenta doesn't allow blending with the background, which is rather the point of transparency. The magenta does masking, which is a different thing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can still use darker colors to blend, so I don't see a reason for it. Like, a 50% transparent white tile or gray tile: what's the difference in game?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Normally you can only do blending with the foreground colour vs black. Using real alpha allows you to blend the foreground colour with the background colour.

Another specific difference is that you could apply shading to engravings, which is currently not possible.

matthewseidl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I haven't heard about this happening before. There are no transparency settings in the game that I'm aware of. Is anyone else using a Mac that can help out here?

I'm using a Mac and have never seen that behavior.

Maybe someone could upload a bundled version for the Mac?  For what its worth, I'm having the same trouble with the mayday graphics (although much worse there), so it could be something with my system.  It would really help to have a known working copy for debugging the issues though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Normally you can only do blending with the foreground colour vs black. Using real alpha allows you to blend the foreground colour with the background colour.

Another specific difference is that you could apply shading to engravings, which is currently not possible.
I see, thank you for clarifying.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've decided to use this one, after cycling through a few. So far my only complaints were the bundled color scheme (too... bland? but easily changed), barrel sprites (look like stools), and remains (don't know what they look like, but I prefer skull and crossbones).

Other than that, It's great!
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The remains are a pile of bones that I took from....RPGMaker, I think. For civ entities each has a special remains sprite that is the standard sprite for that race, fallen down on the ground.

The bundled colour scheme helps with some of the concerns I've had with the mod in the past - large areas of vivid colour are hard to look at and tend to overwhelm the creature sprites, making them hard to distinguish. As you say, it's easily replaced.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ya, take whatever I say understanding full well that I've been through Mayday and Sphr's sets and found yours to be the best.
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I see, thank you for clarifying.
Tested and magenta is totally similar to transparency. It means that there's no need in PNG set.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile

Except that alpha can have varying degrees (blending).
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

matthewseidl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I figured out my issue.  I was using the stock DF instead of the opengl repack, so some of the graphics seemed to not work when I converted them from png to bmp.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lovely work RantingRodent!  Does this work (easily) with the new version of Dig Deeper?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The changes to plants, stone layers and mineral tiles won't combine easily with any mod that changes those things. You'd need to go through them and set the tiles appropriately, based on what I've done for vanilla stuff.

The good news is that Desiderium is using my set as one of the sources for his set which is intended for Dig Deeper.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38