Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123699 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I can say I like the feel of the Set, but on loading the game, I was hit by a few problems that remind me why I hate using Graphic sets to begin with...
1 They all ask for a Higher Resolution then what I am used to, so I have to adapt quickly.
2 Too much colour, the amount of brightness coming from the work after loading it just seems over the top.
3 The Accents. Have a Chair in ones name kinda ruins the feel for me, not to mention when it comes to the Male/Female Symbol not well, what its spos to be...

Those are my true hates about using a Graphic Set, but other then that, it looks great...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you use the accent removal part of the mod (or the prepackaged one) you won't see  any symbols in names any more.

I agree that the colours can be a bit overwhelming under certain circumstances. It partly depends on your embark site. If you use a more natural colour scheme it can go a long way to fixing this problem as well. The natural schemes tend to use more washed out tones.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I would do it for Dwarves for sure. Other races I may want to leave for others to do. If I try to tackle it myself, the tedium might push me back into non-update land.
I already drew female elves. I am not sure if they are good enough fore the masses, but they will work, at least temporary.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45339.0
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any plans to release a PNG version of the set for the new version? I'm starting to work on mine now in d16.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can convert to png pretty easily, but for the time being  I can't really see any benefits to it for my set that make it worth maintaining both png and bmp. I don't want to force people to use d16 in order to use my graphics pack, so I'm keeping it as bmp until the next release makes png the standard.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Also you open it in MSPaint, click "save as" -> png, and that's all. It's not needed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well no, that would break transparency, would it not? Since the bmp versions use magenta for transparency and the png versions use actual transparency.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

png versions with magenta were ok for me. I haven't checked it in a while though, but it's easy to change anyway (select color range -> magenta -> cut).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

matthewseidl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I have a question about using this tileset/graphics pack on a mac.  It seems like highlighted wall segments are currently being rendered in a flat black icon for me.  If I designate an existing wall to be mined out for example, those squares go flat black.  This makes it really hard to figure out what my miners are doing if anything is in progress.  Once they're done, things look fine though.  I assume I have some overlay/transparency setting incorrect.  Any advice?

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae

The female graphics look good, but I was wondering...
Where are their beards?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I think it's a Toady-version of dwarves :). He commented the dwarves out. But you will be able to put the beards on females, and you will be able to open a MSPaint and draw the beards over females. Hell, you could use the same sprites for both genders :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a question about using this tileset/graphics pack on a mac.  It seems like highlighted wall segments are currently being rendered in a flat black icon for me.  If I designate an existing wall to be mined out for example, those squares go flat black.  This makes it really hard to figure out what my miners are doing if anything is in progress.  Once they're done, things look fine though.  I assume I have some overlay/transparency setting incorrect.  Any advice?

I haven't heard about this happening before. There are no transparency settings in the game that I'm aware of. Is anyone else using a Mac that can help out here?

I think it's a Toady-version of dwarves :). He commented the dwarves out. But you will be able to put the beards on females, and you will be able to open a MSPaint and draw the beards over females. Hell, you could use the same sprites for both genders :).

Yeah, my sprites will always err on the side of canonical. If Toady says no beards, then no beards. If they did have beards, I wouldn't feel the need to do female sprites at all.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

Well no, that would break transparency, would it not? Since the bmp versions use magenta for transparency and the png versions use actual transparency.
Pngs with alpha use the transparency for bgcolor, pngs without use magenta.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't heard about this happening before. There are no transparency settings in the game that I'm aware of. Is anyone else using a Mac that can help out here?

I'm using a Mac and have never seen that behavior.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

40d16 adds transparency possibilities, however usual magenta will do, so my previous posts are right.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38