Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123689 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [1.0.4 Released]
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2009, 08:26:08 am »

Smoothed and Engraved floors use the same tile, but one is drawn with a black background, the other with a white background.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2009, 09:39:08 pm »

I really like some of the ideas behind this tileset, but I've noticed a few things I don't really care for.

Rough Wall and Smooth Floor tiles are way too busy, and tend to drown out more important stuff with lots of visual noise. They should probably be toned down a bit to improve visibility. For example, your original stockpile tile is close to what I'd like to see for smooth floors.

Brick walls look kind of silly in a carved-out fortress. I can live with it, though.

Also, are you still considering diagonal walls? I'm not sure if the game can really handle them properly, but I think they could look really good if it did.

Dryke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:02 am »

For example, your original stockpile tile is close to what I'd like to see for smooth floors.

Hmm.  This is actually a decent idea.

I kind of like the brick wall look though.  People do this all the time in the real world - think of those 'pressed brick' looks you see all the time done in concrete.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2009, 01:43:46 am »

Actually the current stockpile tile was originally created to be the smoothed floor tile until I realized that there was nothing you can do with it to differentiate engraved floors.  Open to ideas on this.  I would love to get that to work as the floors.

Diagonal wall support is very poor in DF and I can't seem to get an effect that I'm happy with.  The brick walls are the best looking walls I can find so far.  I'm always on the lookout for tiles that can improve the set.  If you think one of the other existing sets does something better, just let me know.

I'm going to continue to focus on the creature/race graphics for a bit longer and then come back to the tileset to see if I can refine it further and deal with some of the complaints.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2009, 08:21:45 am »

Alright, question for the future.  At the moment, making anything larger than 16x16 tiles is pointless; because of the minimum screen width of 80 tiles, anything larger requires a ridiculous resolution.  Once Toady updates the UI to remove this minimum, I could resolve the clarity issues by doing something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No idea when this could come to pass, but until then there's not much I can do to make things much clearer, creature-wise.  Trying to combine the best of both worlds here.  Thoughts?

Also, as shown in that mockup, I've made the ogres blue-skinnned to try to make them stand out more from the main races.  This will be included in the next release.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2009, 01:19:30 pm »

dude i really like it! the walls are a tad odd inside the fortress for dwarves, however they look pretty cool for the outside defensive walls

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [Proper corpses][Goblins][Kobolds]
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:38 pm »

Just happened to notice this thread, and had been poking my own tileset a bit a couple weeks ago so it wouldn't need modbase to be installed (though I haven't really played DF recently) and thought I'd make some comments.

[
This post is mainly for RantingRodent, but others may find something of interest here too.
*casts WALL OF TEXT*
]

First, it looks like you've done quite a nice job, but there are a few things I'd like to give a bit of advice about (whether you consider it important or not is your decision, of course), mainly things that I either tried and discarded, or suggest deliberately chose to do in my tileset.

1. Anthills and bracelets are far more common than wells, all three use the same tile, none of them can be changed, and you've used a detailed picture of a well. I tried the same thing originally. It looks very bizarre in the middle of an ant-infested desert. I chose to use a generic circle-ish picture, personally.
2. At least here, the green (in-game) trees all have trunks that are much much darker than the trees - so much so that they're almost invisible here (I don't expect they are for everyone else, since I have my display gamma and such set up far darker than most people do, however).

I found a way to cheat on this, though, and you could probably do the same. When I made art for the feather tree, I gave it a brown background color in the raw file, painted the actual background black, and painted the tree's trunk the background's magenta color so that it would show up as brown all the time. I don't know if that would screw with crafting, but you've got craft_color figured out, yes? So that shouldn't be a problem?

3. Dark stone doors seem to be extremely difficult to see - they're really dark.
4. There was a reason there was transparency in the door art in my set other than just in the corners - so that the secondary door color, which was the only place you get the red of bauxite, green from olivine, yellow from orthoclase, etc, would show up in the door proper. You've got the entire door turned solid grey/black.
5. The overland rivers looking like they were made of bricks was unacceptable to me, and rough stone walls looking like they were made of bricks also unacceptable, and wooden bridges looking like they were made of bricks as well. This is why I would advise not using brick wall art, and is why I used something something more akin to a solid rough wall in my set instead.
6. Using colors in the font tends to be a bad idea*. Take your levers for instance. If someone builds a white lever, yay it'll look normal. If someone builds a bauxite lever, it'll probably look red when off and black when on. If they build an olivine lever, it'll probably look black when off and green when on. And if they build some kind of blue lever (or a dark stone one!) by chance, it'll probably look black whether it's on or off... :P

That would be why I wrote text instead of using color. That and the disappearing tree trunks are also why I ended up making tree trunks non-specially-shaded by default in mine.

* The glumprong, feather tree, and tower cap were exceptions, since the glumprong and tower cap were both seasonless and thus always one color, and I cheated on the feather tree like I mentioned before to give it a brown trunk regardless of coloring.

7. About stone colors being broken, the only one that was odd in mine was granite, and that was because the fg/bg reversal screwed up so many images which wouldn't have been a problem with ASCII. I changed it to 7:7:0, which is light grey on light grey. To quote my dev notes: "That might seem odd, but it keeps its stuff light grey while making its doors not be reversed - actually, its doors look like chalk/limestone/etc doors, but that's better than looking bizarre. However some granite items may look odd, particularly hatches. (It looks like there might be another way to do this, though. Some stone types have a [BASIC_COLOR:7:0] component - maybe that would make items made from it light grey on black)"

Your problem is probably that in many of your images, you've gotten rid of the transparency (or used images that did that) - which is really the secondary color, or in some cases the primary (example: wooden cages, and bins) - and replaced it with more greyscale or black. The solution is to do either what you did with the stairs, or shading with a technique like dithering, like I did on the barrel before and on the hatch in mine. You can also see how I did the door in mine. Also note why the bin in Sphr's had two box outlines but wasn't filled in (unless he changed that after I copied the image into mine).

I don't think I knew about the build_color keyword, it sounds like that does what I thought basic_color might do (I think I tried basic_color to no avail a week or so after writing that).

8. As for the graphics set, I see some things that are better than the one I'm using (veryinky's dystopian qantas set), notably that military units have multiple colors which are very distinct, and very big weapons, but on the whole it seems more difficult to tell what anyone is. Replacing the graphics set is easy as pie, though.

9. Overriding both [ and ] is a very good idea and I wonder why nobody before you thought of that. :P

Nice job improving the barrels, although it took me quite a while to get them to where I was satisfied with them originally, now that you've redone them the only problem is that it looks like they've got no bottom :P.

P.S. Did you know about the tower-cap art I made? You still seem to be using 0x06 for tower-caps. The art I made is at 0xac in my font if you want to use it - looks like a purple mushroom with a brown woody stalk. You also have glumprongs and feather trees using one image still - I had separate art for glumprongs at 0xab (It looks like a blue double-decker mushroom and has red glowy eyes around it) and feather trees at 0xf5 (It's green, surrounded by black, and has two transparent-color trunks). Maybe you already knew about them and chose not to use them, or maybe you didn't know what they were for because you didn't know that I wrote down the changes I made in a log file that I included with the tileset.

Edit again:
I figured I should show those. Screenshots (using my tileset with the natural color scheme, or whatever slight modifications to it I had made):
glumprongs: http://screencast.com/t/jcjtkoh5L
feather trees: http://screencast.com/t/9YAgdF3Z
tower cap: http://screencast.com/t/oyp0kCRn - this one isn't a screenshot, it's just from the font with the background turned black, since I haven't found any underground water sources in any of my forts in any 3d versions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:24:05 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2009, 03:45:40 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions, Shadowlord.

Most of my decisions were personal preference.  Yes, it's visually quite busy, yes it's hard to tell some things apart.  I actually had no intention of releasing this when I started putting it together, I'm just really picky and wanted to tailor a tileset and graphics to my own tastes.  Once I was done my first pass I thought, what the hell, let's put it out there and see what everyone thinks.

1.  Yeah, after playing for a little bit I noticed this as well, just never got around to addressing it.
2.  Kinda calibrated the resulting brown based off of my own monitor for this, yeah.  Maybe graphics for plants is a good suggestion to add to the eternal voting.  I'll try experimenting with the approach you mentioned and see if I can get nice results from it.
3.  I think that's a factor of your gamma once again - actually the dark stone doors are the ones I'm happiest with, heh
4.  Hmm, never noticed this, can't recall if I've made a door of any of those colours recently.
5.  I'm not completely happy with the bricks either, but of all the options it came out on top for me.  I kind of ignore site finder conflicts because I spend such little time there.  Honestly I think the game should use one font for the site finder and another font for the game itself, as an easy way to eliminate the chest-of-drawers dark fortresses and other issues.  I also tend to picture the walls of a dwarven fortress to be brick-lined in my mind, not sure why.  Maybe I just find the idea appealing that the dwarves trust their craftsmanship to hold the mountain up more than they trust the mountain itself.
6.  I actually copied the coloured levers from another tile set (can't recall which off hand).  Not 100% happy with them either, for exactly the reason you mentioned.  I don't think it's that big of a deal; the vast majority of the stone in the game is greyscale.
7.  BUILD_COLOR controls the color used for furniture (and I think constructions as well), I've got most of the colours fixed this way, just a matter of tracking down all of the ones that don't work.  The bin changes were made with a purpose; I wanted it to actually look like up/down stairs more than it does in other sets, hence the gradient leading up and down.
8.  Yeah, based on the comments so far my taste seems to be on the busy side.  I think the iconography for the jobs is really obvious, actually.  Some of the nobles lack distinction, but I'm pretty happy with the jobs and military.  I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.  The hats and outfit colour are key.
9.  I can't take credit for that one - Take another look at the tilesets on the wiki, a lot of the 16x16 replace [ and ].  The ones I have are taken directly from Aesomatica's tile set.

Thanks, took a few revisions before I was alright with it.  The barrels are a bloody pain.  I almost want to submit a suggestion to the eternal voting just to get graphics support for the freaking barrels.  The only thing worse than the barrels is X

I didn't take the time to read any dev logs for the tilesets I worked with, and I likely would have missed yours, as I actually used Flying Mage's sheet as my primary basis.  I really like your glumprong tree, not sure how I missed it in my review of the existing sets.  On a related note, did you notice my post earlier about the [SAPLING_TILE:###] tag?  It works.  Seems like it might be of interest to you to get some nice saplings to go along with the unique fully grown trees.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39:25 am »

Yeah, I noticed your post about the sapling_tile keyword. I haven't really decided whether to dive in and work on my tileset again or not, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2009, 05:18:26 am »

Hey Ranting,

Great tileset. Question: have you done any mods to the creature files other than tile specs?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:11 am »

Since I don't really play adventure mode, I don't have a big interest in doing any functional mods at the moment.  It doesn't really seem like you have much ability to make fortress mode feel any different.  Aside from being able to shift the difficulty around, all the changes are basically cosmetic.

That being said, I have felt the urge to add some new creatures from time to time, and I probably will after the main races are nearly complete.

Since I don't like posting too much without some kind of update, here's the current state of the orc military.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:55 am »

Hmmm. From what little I've seen of this, I like it... but I'm having an issue. When I load DF after plugging the mod in, all of my screens flicker and leave overlapping images (kind of like after a camera flash and you get really bad tracers). I'm not quite sure what's up, but it might be worth mentioning.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2009, 11:09:05 am »

I installed it and i just get a black screen in the window.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:08 am »

I installed it and i just get a black screen in the window.

Which version of DF do you have?  My init file is not compatible with 40d#, only standard 40d.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:24 pm »

I like your graphics; if you want people to tell professions apart more quickly then you could try giving each profession a distinct shape of negative space.
The great game of Warlocks!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38