Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123627 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Tile/Graphics set [Human jobs][Elf jobs][Elf military]
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 06:42:51 am »

The bins look right.  The barrels also look as intended (I'm still not settled on how to handle barrels).

What's the door made out of?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Dee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »

okay thanks
the door made of limestone

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »

Well, I see a door frame...

The barrels are too flatly/darkly shaded, I'd agree, and bins need a liittle more distinguishing from blackness.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »

Unfortunately bins are impossible to distinguishfurther, as they are hardcoded to use "X".  I've done the best I can to make X work for bins, up-down staircases and the letter X.

I'll try a different strategy for the barrel.  Each tileset I've looked at uses the same basic barrel tile, but each one balances greyscale/black/transparency differently.

No idea what's wrong with that door.  I've never seen that in my own game.  Can anyone else reproduce it?

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 11:25:46 pm »

WTF?
The menu is flickering and and menus overlap other menus... its all messed up. I am using the latest version of Dwarf Fortress.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 12:06:43 am »

By latest do you mean one of the 40d# versions?  My init file is only compatible with normal 40d.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:44 am »

okay thanks
the door made of limestone

Dee, can you please double check that this door was actually constructed?  I checked in my game and that's exactly what I see when I've placed a door but the dwarves haven't installed it yet.

Little update: I've finished all of the mercantile folk for the elves (merchant baron, merchant prince, etc)

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:26 am »

oops... that is why...
and is this one better than the mayday one?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:51:17 am by jasonxfri13th »

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 02:58:55 pm »

This is very impressive. If it gets any better I might have to get over my graphics phobia and install it!
At the moment, my biggest worry about using a graphics set is when you start seeing things that don't make sense, like the aforementioned problem with 'X'. I find it better to have either entirely ascii or entirely graphics.

That said, these sprites are sufficiently awesome that I might have to change my mind. Does anyone know how many things are impossible to draw a picture for?

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:17 pm »

I take that back... I was using 40d (clicked on latest download) and it kept on flickering...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:12:14 pm by jasonxfri13th »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 04:14:23 pm »

At the moment, my biggest worry about using a graphics set is when you start seeing things that don't make sense, like the aforementioned problem with 'X'. I find it better to have either entirely ascii or entirely graphics.

Does anyone know how many things are impossible to draw a picture for?

I've been using a graphics set (mayday, and others) since the day I first started playing. I've never had a problem distinguishing things that needed distinguishing. Furthermore, your worry is somewhat... weird, in that, anything that might be easily confused in the ASCII set is going to be harder to confuse in the graphics set, because the graphics set further distinguishes things. Furthermore, if you've been playing a while, I think that any chance of getting something confused is drastically reduced. You made your fortress, you know what went where ... kinda thing. In short, try it. Just try it.

For example, you are aware that the sign used for barrels is also used in screw pumps (and another place, as well).
The sign used for a prepared meal is also used in the trade screen (percent) and in walls and screw pumps.
The sign used for shirts (the bracket) is also used in the trade screen. So it might look like (SHIRT) ## ] instead of [ ## ].
Etc. If this stuff doesn't confuse you in the ASCII set, once you adjust to how the graphics set displays it, you won't confuse it there either.

Check the wiki for more information on what can and can not be changed by a graphics set.

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »

Will other mods work with 40D#?
If the download on the main page is 40D then that is what I have. I just read that the 40d# speed up the game a lot...
So will other graphics/mods work with 40d# or is it with all mods/graphics?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 08:04:54 pm »

This is very impressive. If it gets any better I might have to get over my graphics phobia and install it!

That said, these sprites are sufficiently awesome that I might have to change my mind. Does anyone know how many things are impossible to draw a picture for?

That's quite flattering, I know most ASCII adherents are quite resistant to graphics.

The wiki has pretty exhaustive detail on the subject.  Basically, graphics sets only cover creatures.  Everything else comes from the tile set.  Stone, plants and vermin can have their tile number changed but cannot be pointed at a graphic.  A couple of other things can havd their tiles changed as well (mined stone for example).   Most other features are completely fixed.  I am really hoping to see the situation rectified in the near future.  Just being able to change the tiles for furniture, or even better, point it at a graphic, would fix a lot of problems.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:07:53 pm by RantingRodent »

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:08 pm »

Will other mods work with 40D#?
If the download on the main page is 40D then that is what I have. I just read that the 40d# speed up the game a lot...
So will other graphics/mods work with 40d# or is it with all mods/graphics?

The mod itself is compatible with 40d# (tested it myself on 40d9), but you cannot use my init file from DFFD, as it is missing the new parameters introduced with 40d#.  I'm not sure what might be causing your issues.  If anyone else sees the same, please let me know.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 09:06:02 pm »

Before I do much more work on these, I'd like to get a general opinion on the modified skin tone.

Sphr originally made Goblins deep green, but according to DF cannon, they are a light grey colour.  I left a tinge of green in them for flavour (greyscale looks bad).  I've also got the profession defaults (hats included) on here already.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that skin tone good for them, or should I tweak it a bit more?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38