Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123577 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [WIP Female Dwarves for DF2010]
« Reply #540 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:06 am »

i think i can confidently say that df2010 will only be installed by me when your graphics pack is ready for it... 99% of what displays on 40d16 for me is rom your pack, and i dont think the next version without it would be the same. hres hoping its a nice easy switchover.

Wow, good to know people like my pack so much. I don't expect to have much more than a couple days delay, depending on my free time, to get a version out for DF2010. It won't have the new underground critters right away, since Toady won't tell us what they are or how the graphics raws will handle them, but I can get the current stuff plus the new jobs in right away.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 29, 2010, 03:29:21 pm »

outstanding. i have made a few personal touches to the pack, changing a few of the tiles in your tileset for personal preferences (red/green levers, rotating engraved characters, metal doors... and others that escape me for the moment) and spent some time changing the text files that define graphical tile position (early version had some of the dwarf traders, leaders and nobility slightly out... found that out independantly solving the zombie liasion issue, and fiddled with some of the kobold backgrounds to make them transparent). if you are confident it will be ready to go within a few days i am a happy monkey. of course, i assume there will be the odd suprise once the raws are opened up or once i start adding my personal tweaks once again.
This is a blank sig.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #542 on: March 29, 2010, 06:48:28 pm »

Well I'm installing this sucker the moment it's ready, and I cannot wait to see the final results ^^

One sec, 5 different types of Doctor units are confirmed in the 2010 notes >_>
priest
quarter master,

and somewhere there's that list of the new noble ranks, I couldn't find it though... weird... ah well

Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 29, 2010, 07:59:56 pm »

My commitment for the first DF2010 release:

- All dwarf jobs, military, and positions handled, male and female
- All vanilla domestic creatures (if there are any new ones)
- All known issues fixed

So, the new underground stuff will still be ASCII, and no females of other races just yet. Humans will probably be next because it should be relatively easy to do.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #544 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:46 pm »

Oh god... I just realized RR >_>; you're going to have to come up with something for the Random Creatures, we don't have standardized Megabeasts anymore! We have Titans and Forgotten Beasts O_O and they randomized descriptions and body parts!

Are the various levels of military handled? General, Captain, Leutienant, Champion? I think I could count two ranks besides the quartermaster <.<
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:06:52 pm by shadowclasper »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 30, 2010, 12:10:08 am »

I'm going to spend all my free time between DF2010 release and you updating your graphics pack bugging you to get on with it. :p

I'll download a vanilla copy of the new version, to base mods off, but I'll wait for the graphics pack to actually play probably.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:52 am »

Oh god... I just realized RR >_>; you're going to have to come up with something for the Random Creatures, we don't have standardized Megabeasts anymore! We have Titans and Forgotten Beasts O_O and they randomized descriptions and body parts!

Are the various levels of military handled? General, Captain, Leutienant, Champion? I think I could count two ranks besides the quartermaster <.<

What I can do for the generated creatures will depend on how Toady handles their graphics raws. More than likely, they will get stuck with archetypal graphics. At best. At worst, they will be a generic shadowy figure.

I haven't handled all of the new positions yet, in case the list changes.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #547 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:18 pm »

Apparently graphics and tilesets will translate. He's not changing that bit of the programming, so you'll probably be able to easily change the coding in a few days and put that full package up ^^ otherwise we'll make due with just manually putting it in and dealing with "Default" image dwarves :3

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:18 am »

I have to add that I will not be playing the new version of DF until your graphic pack works with it, too. ;D I tried looking at the game without it, and I can' stand it.

Also, a request: could you give obsidian a special graphic, different from Igneous Extrusive? It would make mining out around magma a lot easier.

edit: Would you consider removing the sideburns/beards from the dwarven females, so it is easier to tell them apart? Perhaps give them braids or something to make up for it?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:20:26 am by Verdian »
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #549 on: March 31, 2010, 02:29:17 am »

Why not give them a really simple change? Females get blond beards, males get black or brown ones? <_< they have the same tile, remain dwarfy, and require very little changes beyond the paint bucket :D quick and easy!

edit: also, I know we have more than just the current military ranks present on the noble's thingy >.>;
Champion, General, Captain, and Lieutenant are confirmed. Along with Militia Captain (difference between Militia Captain and normal captain? I have no idea)

edit2: Also, always wondered about this. Could there be a different tile for when dwarves are experiencing one of the various problems? Rather than a question mark or an exclamation mark, could they perhaps flash a dwarf of the appropriate type? Since we have a Drunk Dwarf Model I always thought that would be interesting.

edit3: Basically, there'd be one for berserk, melancholy, traumatized, and stark raving mad, (all should be linked by odd eyes and frazzled hair and beard), then there would be the ones for strange moods: Fey, Secretive, Possessed, Fell, and Macabre.

Then, in order of importance for flashing icons...
Unconscious
Major Injury/Minor Injury
Tantrum
Hungry/Thirsty/Drowsy/Unhappy
Enraged/Martial Trance
Stunned/Winded/Nausea/Paralyzed (technically these could go along with Unconscious)
Wrestling
Sleeping
No Job/No Destination
Migrant/Legendary (For Legendary, I'd say just give them a halo or glowing golden eyes :P)

The Multiple creatures flashing icon really isn't that necessary >_>;

Non Flashing Icons, possibly should go before even the flashing ones, also in order of importance.
Dead
Drowning
Prone
Webbed
Airborn
Last Seen(not necessary, adventure mode only)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Status_icons

for status Icons currently available look there ^^

edit4: Alternatively, ya could just wait until Toady implements a system that would let you make those little Corner Icons (like the ones you wanted to use to identify civilian from military from foe), and have these suckers in the opposite corner from that identifying mark :P but really, at least the insanities and the moods should have their own icons :3

edit35: Then again >_>; that's 35 separate tiles... sooooo while cool, I'd place it as a far lower objective than figuring out the rest ^^;
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:28:05 am by shadowclasper »

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2010, 12:20:00 pm »

Currently, the women have black hair and the men have brown. I tried to make the women gingers, but the orange didn't work with the dwarf skin tone. I just gave blond a try, but the hair being lighter than the skin tone looks strange, and it causes problems for yellow-suited professions. I tried removing the sideburns, though. Hopefully that's enough.

I regret to inform you that none of what you described is possible. Drunk only works because it's a profession, not a status. All of the status icons are pulled from the font, not graphics, and the tile numbers cannot even be changed at this time.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »

A lot of you graphics guys could benefit from this so...

Why don't you have a screenshot like that in your OP? (or an in-game screenshot) There's hella graphics packs around here and we have no idea what they all look like until we download them.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2010, 02:35:49 pm »

Yeah, I plan to put up more shots with the DF2010 version of the mod.

Oh, also, yes, I'll look into a different tile for obsidian.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »

really? That sucks... I mean really sucks...

Even the static tiles are that way? o_O damn.

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:49 pm »

Oh, also, yes, I'll look into a different tile for obsidian.

Thank you. :D Also, I like the new female dwarves, it makes them much easier to identify.
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38