Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123754 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [WIP - Orc and Goblin update]
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2009, 10:19:34 am »

I made a version of the pre-packaged RR graphic set with the new 40d15 release.  Enjoy!!

http://www.box.net/shared/6q3lz87q7d

Special Bonus:  Nice quick start save included!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2009, 04:47:07 am »

Unfortunate coincidence: d16 got put out same day.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2009, 05:44:18 am »

New version with engraving.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »

An idea struck me today, and I had to do it right away. Kobold nobles with giant tribal masks.

I initially set them up as the various leader ranks, but I don't think that Kobolds will actually use all of the ranks. Might want to repurpose some of them. Thoughts?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2009, 12:30:03 am »

I think it is a cool idea. As for the ring leader Kobolds, well that is a bit beyond me. I tend to think of kobold's as pretty simple minded. It will be cool to see how this idea fleshes out!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2009, 05:36:55 am »

Here is my version of the floor, with partial transparency for the engraved areas:

I like the kobold mask idea; I've been tinkering with something similar (based on an idea someone posted on Beefmo's thread):

It was more intended as warpaint, but not that much different than the mask idea.  Masks would be good for elites/champions as well as nobles.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2009, 09:13:35 am »

I'll take a look at doing some partial transparency versions for the next release after this one. I think a darker tile works better for floors, because they have a tendancy to be overpowering. I've incorporated a darker version of the tiles into my mod for the time being. Thanks, Mordae.

I want to announce something I've been considering for some time now. I will begin to offer the mod with multiple floor/wall styles. Here are the four I will be including in the next release.

I appreciate any feedback you guys have.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2009, 03:28:14 pm »

Oh my gods.  That looks incredible, RB. Just amazing work... I like the upper right the best, with the lower right being the VERY close runner up... The variation on those walls is quite nice. I'll be installing your package now. Does it work by default with 40d16, or will I have to do some tweeking?

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2009, 03:37:47 pm »

Oh my gods.  That looks incredible, RB. Just amazing work... I like the upper right the best, with the lower right being the VERY close runner up... The variation on those walls is quite nice. I'll be installing your package now. Does it work by default with 40d16, or will I have to do some tweeking?

Wulfe

Thanks! For these walls you'll need to wait for my next release.  I'll try to kick that out the door tonight. This time around I will include init files for both 40d16 and 40d vanilla (finally buckling under the pressure). You'll need to do some init file tweaking to change wall styles. Top right will be the default, however, so you'll be good to go :)

Make sure you give Mordae some kudos as well. The top right is using his floors with a slight tweak applied.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2009, 06:15:00 pm »

Thank you, Rodent. I know these dev releases are tough to keep up with, but I certainly will make use of the d16 files. d16 runs so much better on my system, I cannot drop back to 40d without losing my mind. My dwarves actually move quickly! Heh.

Mordae, major kudos your way as well, and to all that you've had contribute pieces of artwork. This pack looks excellent. When the new version goes up tonight, I'll be installing it, most definitely.

Wulfe - amazed by the skill shown in this community.

DF is a wonderful piece of software. Still in development and *this* entertaining.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »

Great looking stuff, as always.

Too bad that general style of wall makes my bridges look so bad (I've experimented with them when you posted a sample some time back).  Next go-round I'll think I'll skip building any bridges to deal with that issue. ;)
is he okay?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2009, 07:39:38 pm »

Great looking stuff, as always.

Too bad that general style of wall makes my bridges look so bad (I've experimented with them when you posted a sample some time back).  Next go-round I'll think I'll skip building any bridges to deal with that issue. ;)

I'm a bit of a visual perfectionist. Some things like that drive me crazy about DF. I do actually have a bridge in my fort I'm using to test the tile set. I'm not 100% pleased with what it does to farms either. I really wish Today would expand our ability to specify tiles and graphics for furniture and terrain. That would be my vote for the next piece of functionality to open up to the community to work on for him.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »

I'm a bit of a visual perfectionist. Some things like that drive me crazy about DF. I do actually have a bridge in my fort I'm using to test the tile set. I'm not 100% pleased with what it does to farms either. I really wish Today would expand our ability to specify tiles and graphics for furniture and terrain. That would be my vote for the next piece of functionality to open up to the community to work on for him.

You can cast that vote, if you hadn't already.  "Full graphics support" is already at #8, which means it will get special consideration (along with the other top 10 suggestions) for the set of smaller releases to follow the large upcoming one.  I'd say there's a decent chance that you'll get your wish during the next year.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:09 pm »

I'm a bit of a visual perfectionist. Some things like that drive me crazy about DF. I do actually have a bridge in my fort I'm using to test the tile set. I'm not 100% pleased with what it does to farms either. I really wish Today would expand our ability to specify tiles and graphics for furniture and terrain.

*nod-nod*

Yeah, I'm hoping the next release, which, from what I understand, will have more stuff in the raws, which may give us more of an ability to control the assigned tiles for items.

We'll see. ;)
is he okay?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2009, 09:56:41 pm »

You can cast that vote, if you hadn't already.  "Full graphics support" is already at #8, which means it will get special consideration (along with the other top 10 suggestions) for the set of smaller releases to follow the large upcoming one.  I'd say there's a decent chance that you'll get your wish during the next year.

Way ahead of you. I hadn't noticed that it had climbed so high on the list. Not at all surprised though. At the same time, we're getting the randomized monsters in the next release and I have no clue how best to handle those from a graphics pack perspective. I suppose it depends entirely on how Toady integrates them with graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38