Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [40d] - [New thread to be opened for 0.31]  (Read 123727 times)

TheManInBlack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

lol, thank you very much  ;D

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will be putting some more time into this mod in the near future. Can I get some votes on what I should focus on for the next release? Pick a first and second priority from the list below.
  • Goblin nobles
  • Orc nobles
  • Human undead
  • Primitive race: Bandits
  • Primitive race: Rat Men
  • Primitive race: Tiger Men
  • Primitive race: Lizard Men

For primitive races, I only plan to do basic military (no guards) and no professions. I may add a small set of professions in the future, but not at the moment. Please bear in mind that for the time being I am only doing graphics, not functional modding. A vote for a primitive race doesn't mean I'm making their entity file. I may do that later, but for now these are intended only as a companion for other mods. I'll tally up the votes in one week to decide what to work on.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Faenaris

I vote for the Orcs and Goblins. The Orc military isn't completely finished and having some Nobles too would be nice. In other words, I vote for fleshing out the "main races". :)

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile

I vote for the Orcs and Goblins. The Orc military isn't completely finished and having some Nobles too would be nice. In other words, I vote for fleshing out the "main races". :)

I agree with this. Focus should be put on the main races, then orcs, since so many people seem to use them, then whatever else.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Side note: The next update will include Hoppy Dragon's goblin drunk and human druid sprites. Waited far too long to plug those in.

Catinthewall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick notice, You put the red lever's tile one pixel to the left, it doesn't line up with the green lever.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm on it.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's some proof that work is once again under way. Current progress on the Orcs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RantingRodent's Graphical Overhaul [WIP - Orc and Goblin update]
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2009, 06:28:47 pm »

Very, very nice.

I had rolled part of your set into my mayday/custom set in order to get orcs and I liked the general trend. I also very much like how you've organized the set - makes it much easier to manage.

I'll put in a minor vote in an upcoming release to get orc/gobbos done and to make sure that dire wolves/wolf spiders/war elephants are in as they're a part of the orc mod. I think for the many among us using the orc mod, it'll really get people's attention to have a complete graphics pack.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2009, 08:18:37 pm »

I'll have to grab the Orc mod and take a look at the creature definitions.  Am I right that War Elephants are just trained Elephants? I suppose that means that Hunting Elephants are also technically possible?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »

I stand corrected. Separate creature altogether. I've created a domestic_evil group to hold pets for orcs and goblins.

I present to you the War Elephants.

Compare to normal Elephants

I tried to make them much meaner looking. They are also leaner and taller, giving them the appearance of having lived a much harsher life under Orcish care. The standard elephants look like they've spent their lives gorging themselves and lazing about.

The hunting-trained version wears a simply leather harness.

The War-trained version sports an armoured plate across its face and gold-plated tusks. The tapestry on its back matches the shields of the Orc royal guard.

C+C please.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2009, 10:54:35 am »

Outstanding! That's very effective - upturned tusks, stronger lines does the trick. They certainly do look capable of knocking down my buildings. And the armored guy is badass.

Faenaris

« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:29 am »

I'll echo Martin's praise. Bloody scary elephants! I like the tapestry-touch too.

The updated Orc set also looks lovely. :)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2009, 09:01:35 pm »

Thanks! I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I am actually going to hold off on Orc and further Goblin nobles at this time. It just occured to me that once Toady finishes up with the next major version, the Positions each race needs to fill will be different. It would be a bit of waste to put too much effort into the current selection of nobles until that happens.

Also, with that in mind, in some future update I will be doing some reorganization of the sheets. I've been using Sphr's layout so far, but with nobles becoming inconsistent between races, I want to move them into their own sheet apart from the rest of the race. I had also considered separating civilians and military, just so that I'm prepared for whenever these may diverge on a per-race basis as well. Each race will in this case have the following:

racename_civilians.bmp
racename_military.bmp
racename_positions.bmp

I will still use only one creature graphics file per race, which will import all three sheets. The actual layout of the different groups should remain the same as it is now.  What do you think?

...and just so I'm not posting without some kind of update, I noticed that Sphr never did any graphics for creature_other, so here's my first 10-minute shot at a Snail Man.

I've also been experimenting with new wall/floor styles.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2009, 01:10:53 am »

Looks neat[doubly so for adventure mode] though I think the statue looks a bit cribbed from Armos Knights, circa LTTP.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38