Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Waitaminute. Gods dying of old age?  (Read 8990 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waitaminute. Gods dying of old age?
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:08:20 am »

Reference to the recent devlog.

I suppose this question is being posed to Toady. Does this mean Gods will be, ah... There?
!!&!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Waitaminute. Gods dying of old age?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:40:52 am »

I certainly hope so. I want to create an adventurer at the dawn of time and wrestle one to death. Well, if they're immortal, I suppose I could create an adventurer at any time and wrestle one to death.

I'm not sure that's going to happen. It seems like a mistake rather than something cool and new in the game.

Because if the gods were there, then we would be able to find them, and have casual conversations with them, and throw stuff at them, etc., which seems to go against what being a god is all about.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:52:15 am »

Maybe the gods usually lounge around on some higher/lower plane but occasionally go to the material plane to do stuff.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:53:46 am »

"If it has stats, we can kill it."

I somehow doubt that Toady included definite God creatures in the game, unless he made an invincible God creature type to go along with it.

Which would be pretty awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:56:31 am »

Maybe the gods usually lounge around on some higher/lower plane but occasionally go to the material plane to do stuff.
Just like old Greek ones did. They were immortal and powerful, yet they could come down and get some Earth girls laid *cough, Zeus, cough*, and generally unleash shit on humankind. And Greek gods are as godly as it gets, I think DF gods are closer to them than the gods (God) of Abrahamic religions. Once old age death is fixed, we're cool.
fox has become enraged!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:33 am »

Well the Df gods seem similiar to the Northern Gods as well and this were Killable and didnt Zeus did kill Chronos, his own Father or atleast all the Titans?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:55 am »

Locked them in Tartarus, not sure about his father though. That would explain how all the HFS got underground.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:18:17 am »

Ok looked up some mythologie stuff and the Asen fought aigainst the Wanen (Both Northern familys of Gods) so they can kill each other and in on The day of ragnarok all the lovly gods die anyway.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:38:58 am »

Depending on how he handled worldgen deaths from old age, they wouldn't necessarily have to be actual creatures.  It could just be doing yearly checks on everything in the huge ass list of people that you can see in Legends.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:52:38 am »

Ouh, this could be fun.

Re-enact the fighting of the gods! Worshippers converts each others, a super family of gods make their worshipper conquer another gods' lands, etc.

This will be fun. Anyway, if this is going to happen, I'm going to put stats on all of them. After all, they're just spirits/daemons/djinns worshipped by local men. We shall let the light shine on them!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:59:42 am »

Locked them in Tartarus, not sure about his father though. That would explain how all the HFS got underground.

Well not all the Primoreals were locked in Tartarus (Locking Gaea in there would be rediculous). In fact most weren't (not like Zues could really take them all on anyhow)

As for Chronus' father... Well Chronus Castrated him so badly that he is still running around expanding the universe yelling at his intense pain.

Ok looked up some mythologie stuff and the Asen fought aigainst the Wanen (Both Northern familys of Gods) so they can kill each other and in on The day of ragnarok all the lovly gods die anyway

Actually if you read it correctly... The gods still survive the ordeal. Just not a big chunk of them.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:12:55 am »

Yes yes you are right Neonivek and i know it but i tend to simplifications here and there sometimes if i am lazy.

Proud to be a Furry.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:50 am »

Just like old Greek ones did. They were immortal and powerful, yet they could come down and get some Earth girls laid *cough, Zeus, cough*, and generally unleash shit on humankind. And Greek gods are as godly as it gets, I think DF gods are closer to them than the gods (God) of Abrahamic religions. Once old age death is fixed, we're cool.

And if you remember the Illiad, they weren't immune to mortal might of arms necessarily either. Diomedes wounds Ares and someone(I forget who) wounds Aphrodite as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:53 am »

Yes yes you are right Neonivek and i know it but i tend to simplifications here and there sometimes if i am lazy.

No problem. Mind you... the view of Ragnerok as killing everyone (or just the gods) or as all the Primoreals/Titans/Eldar Gods being dead is very common.

Hense why I have to mention it :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:00 am »

Bah, DF gods are closer to Norse gods.  Loki killed his own brother as part of a practical joke.  Odin removed his own eye for a drink at the fountain of knowledge and did it without a second thought.

Norse gods are bad ass.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5