Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, I'm sitting there, genning a 10000 year long world...  (Read 2285 times)

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I'm sitting there, genning a 10000 year long world...
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »

No less than 400 years from finishing the gen.
POOSH CRASH KABLAM DF HATES ME SO MUCH.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm sitting there, genning a 10000 year long world...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »

Now, it may be because I was already in a humorous mood, but I laughed uproariously at that.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »

That's happened to me too. Stupid crashes.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:39:32 am »

btw, ow many events had occurred before it crashed?  And how much ram do you have?

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:50:33 am »

4096 MB of ram, and, roughly, 174000 events, 70000 dead.
I think.
I'll leave another gen running overnight while I watch Citizen Kane (Fuck yeah Citizen Kane)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:15:28 am »

Well your not missing out

Generally speaking the game has a great tendency to hit a point of equilibrium usually WAY before year 1000. (sometimes even before year 200) Where basically nothing of historical importance happens ever again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:50:07 am by Neonivek »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:32 am »

4096 MB of ram, and, roughly, 174000 events, 70000 dead.
I think.
I'll leave another gen running overnight while I watch Citizen Kane (Fuck yeah Citizen Kane)
Well that sucks.  I was thinking that the game might of crashed due to an overload on events (and population if you turned the civ cap off in worldgen).  But your well within the limits there.  Seems like this is just one of those crappy crashes.  Perhaps your computer was interested in this 'losing is fun' theory.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

Hello!

Actually, it is possible to gen worlds with interesting events (mainly elven-human wars) longer than the first few centuries, but it is difficult and you need a lot of luck.

But the really worst thing that has happened to me is to have the game crash/freeze when I try to extract the map/world data after generation is complete but before the world has been saved... It was there, complete, but then it is gone (T_T)

You have my sympathy for this, though.

Deathworks

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

I genned a world to 2008......hehe
Anyway, one human town warred with the elves so much, that everyone in the town, priests included, were legendary. And the same town sacked the kobolds to the South ten times. TEN. There were a fair amount of kobold prisoners living with the humies. So interesting things happen after 200.

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:03:15 pm »

Wheeeee, I left it overnight and it finished this time, 1,950,277 (Holy shit) events, 93482 dead, and 114433 (O.o) historical figures.
Did I mention there's a fucking MASSIVE haunted/terrifying area, complete with haunted ocean and mountains
Also I set min temperature to 10 and max to 30. (<3 snow)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:34 pm »

Put up the region file!  I'd like to try a fort in the mega terrifying area.  :D

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:09:07 pm »

Hi!

Could you be having a relatively slow computer? I am quite confused since your RAM is definitely more than I have, but generating a world with less than 2 million historic events is not really that much a problem in my experience... Or is that a question of culling historic figures? Or rather, what world size are you using?

I am sorry if I sound pushy, but your latest post made me curious about these details (2 million simply seems to be so few)

Deathworks

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:16 pm »

I will in a bit, but this is weird, is Mirthful one of the good biomes? all the mountains in the haunted area appear to be mirthful.
Weeeeeiiiiiird

Also, Deathworks, I was trying to do multiple things at once when it crashed, moving the window Etc., it probably was just throwing a fit, and no, my computer is actually relatively advanced, 4096 MB of ram as I said before, and a phenom overclocked to 2.7 GHz.

EDIT: I looked around some and this is fucking hilarious, all the mountains and the one glacier in the mostly haunted/sinister/terrifying area are Serene or Mirthful.
>.<
EDIT2: Oooooooh, there's even a volcano in the freezing temperature, but the surroundings are calm.
:(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:14:42 pm by 1sauber1 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:25:26 pm »

You honest-to-god left the game overnight to gen a world? You DO know that their is a MASSIVELY easier way to do it, and generally get the same results, don't ya?

Set "Cull unimportant historical figures" to YES, set maximum population to unlimited or something, set the megabeast parameters to IGNORE, and MOST IMPORTANTLY set the number of civilizations to 5 or 7 or any other really low single-digit number.

These options will allow you to gen a 10,000 year world within a sane time frame (no more than 10-15 minutes) and get generally the same results.

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »

Pages: [1] 2