Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea Cesspool Thread  (Read 1931 times)

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
Idea Cesspool Thread
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:14:17 pm »

Just post any idea that could be possible with some modding, and maybe some answers too.

I thought it would be cool to have a spider who's extract was boiling, so when it bit someone they'd be injected with magma. Now that's a death.
"Who's John Galt?"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea Cesspool Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:17:31 pm »

Just post any idea that could be possible with some modding, and maybe some answers too.

I thought it would be cool to have a spider who's extract was boiling, so when it bit someone they'd be injected with magma. Now that's a death.

tried it. didn't work.
ALso - you can't get the extract and dump it down murder holes on things.
the problem? It will light the dwarf trying to dump it on fire, and you can't just dump the vial, because vials (Even glass ones) don't break when dropped - no matter how far they fall.
in the next big version it might, though, since boiling gold blood is possible.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:33 pm »

Ok. My turn for a question:
 - EDITED: I went on to ask something totally not requiring modding
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:24:17 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »

Something like kobold camp, except with better housing, better fishing, trees drop more wood? What's up with that. Also, magma pipes on EVERY map.

EDIT: Oh, and when setting parameters for world creation, it should custom tailor the map; not just keep random mappin' till it finds the BINGO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:30:49 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:01:36 pm »

parrots. can you make pet parrots talk and stuff without being a civ type entity?
what happens? will they comfort your dwarves?
can they be "Vermin" sized? or do they have to be larger.
[/quote]

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:55:43 pm »

Robots! They would need an advanced new civ type to have them though, would it be possible for more of them to be made without actually reproducing?
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:00:12 pm »

Robots! They would need an advanced new civ type to have them though, would it be possible for more of them to be made without actually reproducing?

If I recall, people have done it, not sure how, but they technically reproduce. They just don't make "children", just full fledged copies of themselves.

If this helps, there's an older ROBOTS mod in the file depot http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=374 you PLAY as robots in that one, though. Not sure how you'd go about making them pets.
[/quote]

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:05:43 pm »

With the new tissue system and stuff, I'm quite sure it would be possible. Having them not reproduce would just be silly though. They'd die out eventually.

Can you get things to breed with NOGENDER?

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:46:12 pm »

That's what I was asking, or trying to ask anyway.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:51 am »

Just build them at the smelter! I'm accually interested in "producing" animals due to a quote that was on the from page of the wiki, sounds like it would be funny.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:23 am »

Just build them at the smelter! I'm accually interested in "producing" animals due to a quote that was on the from page of the wiki, sounds like it would be funny.

except that (unless something drastic occurred for 40d) currently any animal you "build" at the smelter will be a vermin. Wild and not tame, no less.
Sure, you can have little clockwork tic-tok things running around, but you can't smelt fillsize animals in a reaction yet.
[/quote]

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 02:06:21 am »

I believe that to smelt animals, you smelt an instantly-dying vermin and have it produce an ITEMCORPSE of the animal that you want.

On that note: a creature that ITEMCORPSES a copy of itself. A Phoenix, or something of that nature.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:02:26 am »

I believe that to smelt animals, you smelt an instantly-dying vermin and have it produce an ITEMCORPSE of the animal that you want.

On that note: a creature that ITEMCORPSES a copy of itself. A Phoenix, or something of that nature.

I`m so sticking this on the mythbusters thread. I don`t believe it. (but I want to)
[/quote]

Neoadept

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you look at that hat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:00:30 am »

No dice, ITEMCORPSE has the same vermin problem.

Idea:  A stone that has an IGNITE_POINT just over natural temperatures and a "trigger" stone that has a FIXED_TEMP just over that but low enough not to immediately damage the dwarf.  In theory we could set up controlled fires this way.  This is entirely possible, the trick is finding the temperature range that would allow it to happen.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:25 pm »

No dice, ITEMCORPSE has the same vermin problem.

Idea:  A stone that has an IGNITE_POINT just over natural temperatures and a "trigger" stone that has a FIXED_TEMP just over that but low enough not to immediately damage the dwarf.  In theory we could set up controlled fires this way.  This is entirely possible, the trick is finding the temperature range that would allow it to happen.

I was told that currently stones do not actually use the  fixed temp tag, Sadly :(
but if you test it, then we can be sure! I so want this one to be true, you have no idea.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2