Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!Fire Imp Meat!!  (Read 2101 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Fire Imp Meat!!
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »

It's times like this I wish I could just tell the idiot butchers not to go after those toasty critters in the magma vents. Needless to say, by the time I fixed the raging inferno in the food stores, all the meat, meals, and most importantly, BOOZE was gone.

Fortunately, my seeds were stored off near the farms, so I could rebuild my stockpile of drinks. But still, GAH! Fire!

I hate fire. How about you all?

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!Fire Imp Meat!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:44:25 pm »

What! Thats friking hilarious. never heard of this problem. Didn't eally think imps were butcherable.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »

What! Thats friking hilarious. never heard of this problem. Didn't eally think imps were butcherable.

They're butcherable, but their meat and fat is all !!On Fire!!. Of course, the dwarves don't care and just chuck it into the food pile anyways.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »

Yes, fire imp meat is dangerous. I lost about 40-60 dwarves due to a single fire imp, because its meat caught everything on fire. after a food barrel burned to ash, the idiot dwarves would pick up the burning contents and dump them into another barrel....if they didn't eat the flaming food on the spot. Before long everything that wasn't on fire was berserk, suicidal, babbling incoherently, or tantruming. The moral of the story? Always forbid fire imp corpses, else you will be regretting it when your legendary swordwarves go berserk and start murdering your people by the dozens.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:50 pm »

Interestingly enough, in fortresses built on freezing biomes, fire imps die of cold, and can be processed and consumed safely. At least if your butcher's and tanner's workshops are outside.

I was hoping for a large conflagration in my freezing fortress, and was sorely disappointed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:05 pm »

Interestingly enough, in fortresses built on freezing biomes, fire imps die of cold, and can be processed and consumed safely. At least if your butcher's and tanner's workshops are outside.

That's pretty awesome actually. I should play more on freezing maps.  ;D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:38 pm »

Well, I was testing stuff out for a fortress I wanted to do and had my stockpiles all outside in the freezing cold. So I'm not sure that if the fire imp products were brought underground that they wouldn't immediately begin burning. Though I think it would be cool for dwarves to wear a fire imp leather overcoat to keep them warm outside.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:03:09 pm »

My leatherworkers and boneworkers managed to make some imp bone helms amid the chaos of everyone running around on fire and me frantically trying to forbid all of the burning unicorn meat, socks, and corpses. I can tell you with certainty that the imp bone helmet worn by my berserking champion did NOT cause him to burst into flames. Apparently, only fire imp meat and fat is flammable.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

My leatherworkers and boneworkers managed to make some imp bone helms amid the chaos of everyone running around on fire and me frantically trying to forbid all of the burning unicorn meat, socks, and corpses. I can tell you with certainty that the imp bone helmet worn by my berserking champion did NOT cause him to burst into flames. Apparently, only fire imp meat and fat is flammable.

FIre imp leather, at least, is fairly UN flammable.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »

Exactly, same said champion was also wearing imp leather boots. In fact, I think that means he was carrying a sample of every part of the imp that doesn't spontaneously combust, unfortunately for everyone else in my fort.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 07:05:15 pm »

Yeah, I kept hoping that I could abuse fire imp bones and fat to make a flaming sword somehow, but it didn't work.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:32 pm »

I hate fire. How about you all?
I usually off the imps before I'e had time to set up a butcher...

As for freezing biomes and magma pipes, I had more problems with how the magma was frozen into obsidian at the top couple of Z of where it would rise to when unobstructed.

Also, that burning dwarves melt ice stairways juuust slow enough that they can go up and melt the next ice stairway (and the 8 surrounding squares), and again, and before you know it the other fi'e are trapped and the picks're not on their le'el.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets