Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate?  (Read 944 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate?
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »

I was wondering, for those of you with framerate turned on...what sort you usually get, and what is the lowest you would play with?

I ask out of curiosity - someone had a map posted I used, noting that the 15 Z-level waterfalls in it sucked up framerate. Laughing to myself, thinking (hah, I can handle anything /dwarf fortress/ can throw at me; I can run two copies of oblivion!) - I went to use it. At first, I got 42-25 fps, but when the caravan came, it plummeted down to 3. (Of course, the fact they brought ONLY ANIMALS - pages and pages and pages of them - had something to do with it.)

But when I tried out another site, with a brook, a small chasm, and a magma fall, I got only about 23 fps. And that seems to be what I'm getting lately. I'm afraid that when I get 200 dwarfs, or a seige, such sites will be unplayable. I can get 100 fps on forest/glacial maps without any liquids.

So, what fps do you get, and what is the lowest you'd play with?

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:49 pm »

With a dual Core 2 3.0 gHz and a 3x4 map with magma pipe, brook, chasm, underground river (all of them swarming with wildlife), 120 dwarves, gfps 15, temp and weather turned off, I get around 200-250 FPS.

I like it when the game is uncontrollable (350 is my favorite).

On another note, turning down gfps, and turning off weather and temperature seem to be the most efficient fps optimizers.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:53:17 pm »

...we seem to have similiar systems, though my dual core's are a bit faster (3.4) I wonder why I'm not getting that high a framerate. Perhaps my Mayday graphics set slows things down?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:56:20 pm by lastofthelight »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »

...we seem to have similiar systems, though my dual core's are a bit faster (3.4) I wonder why I'm not getting that high a framerate. Perhaps my Mayday graphics set slows things down?

Shouldn't do.

Do you turn off temperature, weather and turn down graphical fps?

You're not embarking with 100 kittens, right?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »

No. Usually I stick to no more then 75 kittens.

All kidding aside...I have weather off, but I have temperature on. I havn't messed with graphical fps because, despite the description in the init thing, I have no real idea what the setting should be at, so.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:26 pm »

No FPS problems here with 200+ big fortresses on 6x6 sized maps + all features are on.
I have an E8400 CPU which is OCed to 3.6Ghz and 4GB of RAM [but that is not important, since right now DF uses CPU power mostly and sadly]. Oh and my OS is Vista Ultimate x64.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »

Do not raise the GFPS above the default.  It is ideal to lower it down between 10~25 for most people.
On a 6x6 fort on a volcano (Magma Pipe, magma pool, saltwater aquifer) at 80ish z-levels, I started off with about100~ FPS, soon dropped to 70~85 FPS as I riddled the edges of the map with ramps and tunnels for merchants.
Edit: I have a vista and an xp machine.  My Vista machine gives a faster DF FPS, but with some instability.  Combine that with the fact that my vista machine is my all-purpose internet machine (wink wink) I prefer not to run my favorite games and programs on it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:20:46 pm by Kardos »

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:55 pm »

4x4 map, 180 dwarves, most animals caged (most pets free), temp and weather off, GFPS set to 5, Cave river running.
4GB RAM, Duo 2.8 Intel Processor

10-15 FPS

I don't know what Lexender is doing but I think I'm going to steal his computer.
Hey, Lexender, where do you live?

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:38 pm »

My gfps is actually 10, not 15. I run on vista, and it's true that it is quite unstable (countless hours spent redoing the same thing, quite disappointing).

I'm really not sure how my fps is that much better than yours...it does vary though, just tested some stuff and:

1-When no big project is being done (as in, haulers are idle, soldiers are sparring, workshop activity doesn't matter), my fps gets around 200-250.

2-When I start a big project (as in pausing and adding 75 walls/floors/fortifications to be made from marble that is 25 miles away) the moment I unpause my fps lowers to 30 for a couple seconds, while all dwarves are suddenly pathfinding.

3-Right after that, when the project is being completed, I go up to 100-200 depending on the activity level.

4-Sieges don't affect my fps that much, maybe remove 25 fps when around 30 enemies spawn.

5-Turning off itunes (or any demanding program) nets me a couple more frames, but the difference is not huge.

Have you checked your computer for adwares or anything that can quietly run in the background? What is your idle UC usage (as seen in the task manager)? Have you tried running DF while offline?

Maybe I just a superdwarvenly cpu.