Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress labyrinth megaproject  (Read 2590 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress labyrinth megaproject
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:11:25 am »

I had an idea for what to do with prisoners... Force them to path through a deadly labyrinth of traps and horrors, and see how many survive! In order to keep them from all taking the same path, you could use simple dwarfputer tech to open/close floodgates at intersections, creating a stoplight sort of system. You could also rig up spikes and drawbridges up to a similar system, heh. Survivors could be rewarded with an extravagant cage to live in while your dwarves gawk at them.

Post ideas for making a labyrinth here, and if anyone ever makes one, upload a movie of it in action!

Here's a few of my own ideas:

• Pit traps to completely trap it's victims, or alternatively a different part of the labyrinth.
  • Use water to push your prisoners through a complex network of pipes, perhaps launching them out a cliffside or leading to areas of the labyrinth. Whether or not they survive is your choice.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress labyrinth megaproject
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:36:27 am »

Here are some of mine.

• A minotaur stalking the corridors, of course!
  • A narrow pathway that is covered by flowing water! When pushed off the edge, goblins will be forced to a portion of the labyrinth they're already been!
  • Retractable bridges attached to pressure plates that drop goblins to lower levels of the dungeon!
  • Apparent exits that shut by pressure plate, destroying all hope of escape!
  • A maze of spikes, requiring a quick wit and memorization to pass!
  • Useless trinkets on pedestals that have no use in the labyrinth but you could pretend are required to exit, like in old school adventure games!
  • A sweltering room that reveals a terrible secret if a goblin steps in the wrong place: magma!
  • The previous bullet point, except the goblins are dumped into water followed shortly by magma, encasing them in obsidian!
  • A narrow pathway over a tall drop that releases terrible creatures! (Rhesus Macaques, oh no!)

A good labyrinth must have a chance to escape, no matter how difficult it may be. Likewise, there must be a chance to permanently trap them as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:59:58 am »

• Cave-in traps. Bonus points if it collapses several sections of your labyrinth.
  • Networks of artificial water caves that only swimmers could get through.
  • Chained dogs are a must.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:05:33 am »

A room lined with pressure plates, and another lined with stakes. Whenever one gobbo moves, he skewers his buddy.
For best effect, do a checker pattern in both rooms, so that both gobbos can get in on the fun!

Give the gobbos a fighting chance with some swords, and armor...Ooo! And give them a dog, or a cat, like in NetHack.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:19 am »

Sounds like animal logic described on the wiki, if only we could store that pressure plate data. Did you read the wikis logic section? if so i must comment that thats were you got your idea from.
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:18 pm »

Sounds like animal logic described on the wiki, if only we could store that pressure plate data. Did you read the wikis logic section? if so i must comment that thats were you got your idea from.
I have not read the wiki logic sections. I just thought it was a sufficiently dick move thing to do.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:47 pm »

• Two adjacent and oppositely facing drawbridges coming up to flatten your prisoners. To be honest, I have NO idea if that would work or if it would just be buggy...
  • Some kind of deadly chain reaction the prisoners can outrace, like on those cheesy action films where the hero outruns an explosion, or maybe some an advancing cave in. Would be difficult to construct, perhaps requiring a dwarfputer to operate reliably.
  • Cave-in that releases HFS into a section of the labyrinth. Just don't have too much Fun and make sure it's contained ;)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:03 pm »

use pressure plates and floodgates to create a constantly changing maze design.
also dont forget to put in a ton of lifeless statues

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:41 am »

I'm thinking that someone could build a big puzzle, pit a few dwarves into it, and then try and lead them to escape. I think this could make a pretty interesting community story. I might try this.

More ideas, with the above in mind!

• After a long series of traps and pitfalls, you find a copper bar! Now if only you had an anvil, a building material, and a piece of fuel, you could make a pick...
  • On a door is scrawled a riddle describing two items removed from the nearby pedestals. It is clear that the arbitrary force of the labyrinth demands you replace the items so that you may proceed!
  • When you fell into the deep underground reservoir that began this adventure, you dropped your axe in the reservoir! You must drain it to cut down the tower cap blocking an important passageway in the dungeon!
  • You found a bucket! You can now give water to Kogan after he broke his leg! But you can also fill the channel that separates you and the snakeman carrying a key to the door that leads to another portion of the labyrinth, or muddy a floor to begin farming the plump helmet seeds you found!
  • Is that a barrel!? Sweet booze almighty! You can brew some of the plump helmets you harvested, giving you and your companions a much needed morale boost!

I'm going to begin making this dungeon right now.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Noise

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:41 am »

Of course the death maze has to lead through your densly packed apartment complex, below and above your meeting hall and basically run through your whole inner castle while never allowing the adventurer to actually enter it.

Sadly sound isn't implemented, but ... in my mind dwarves _should_ get happy thoughts from goblins screaming behind their bedroom wall. Also at several points the maze could cross dump chutes, to add insult to injury all the while the imprisoned goblins can hear your dwarves gain there legenedary comedian status in the statue garden.

Ultra-Towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immovable Object
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:40:29 am »

Do the labyrinth trap thing, but make the walls out of glass so the dwarves can look at the gobbos while they scream, run and die. Happy thought, and probably the dwarves will make nasty engravings on walls after the show. ;D
Ask about our Noble-Extermination Death Machines!

Noise

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:48:42 am »

Ahhh yes! The death maze should offer some shows for your idlers, too. Make holes in your dining hall ceiling and floor and design a trap so that every so often a screaming goblin will fall through (hopefully he won't die).

Sadly engravers don't seem to engrave what they actually witness, my regulary executions in front of the engraver squad have yet to improve my engravings content.

Ah. I love this game.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:36 pm »

I doubt its possible, but if someone managed to find a way to make an indiana-jones style 'kill things via rolling ball' trap, that'd be awesome. Since its not though, I doubt it'd happen.

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »

Sadly sound isn't implemented, but ...

It IS implemented, just in the most obnoxious way imaginable. Massive noise spheres (cubes?) are generated by practically everything you do and they all disturb sleeping dorfs.

Ultra-Towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immovable Object
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 10:15:43 am »

Damn.
But in Boatmurdered, they did engrave stuff about guys starving and dehydrating and burning and artifact making and god knows what else. Did Toady change that?
Ask about our Noble-Extermination Death Machines!
Pages: [1] 2