Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defense Idea, suggestions/opinions?  (Read 1229 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defense Idea, suggestions/opinions?
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:05:37 am »

Ok, I have been using a rather unusual way to defend my forts as of late, and curious as to what others opinions of it, or if they have any suggestions on how to improve it. It ends up being completly underground. And looks something like this from the side.

XXXXX|__A_#BBBBB____________C________________D
E______________/

The X's are just empty space or rock, | / and _ are floors, walls, and a ramp,# fortifications, A is where I have ammo and marksdwarfs,B is a drawbridge that raises towards the fortifications, C is cubbies in the side to hide my melee dwarfs, D would be another drawbridge to keep the invaders from getting into the fortress proper. E is the entrance and exit to to the fort.

I try and have my meleedwarf cubbies far enough in to let all the invaders get into the tunnel before the attack gets broken and they start fleeing, once they are in far enough, the bridge levers get pulled. What I have found nice about this set-up is it doesn't let the enemy get away, while also making a safe place to clean up the mess afterwards. I also usualy have a some random livestock chained up before the cubbies to reveal invaders.

I'm also curious as to some of the more unusual ways people defend their forts, outside of traps, and magma/water/cave-in/obsidan deathtraps.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Defense Idea, suggestions/opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:12:12 am »

Actually, add a second retractable bridge after the main bridge covering a small pit, and you make those fortifications more useful. Then you pull a lever and raise the drawbridge, while extending the retractable bridge over the pit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:23 am »

My entrance is built into the ocean floor...so I only need to turn off the pumps to seal it.
And if that fails, I have a drawbridge that swings up against a wall, crushing anything on it and revealing an aquifer.
Links in the siggy
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:17:14 am »

So... Modify it to something more like this? To keep the invaders with bows from getting up close to the fortifcations, right?

XXXXX|__A_#BBBBB__^__________C________________D
E______________/    |_|

With the ^ being the retractable bridge.

I just find using plain ole death traps, or hordes of marksdwarfs to take the challenge out of ambushes and seiges.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:18 am »

Lock the melee dwarfs in the cubbies with food and drink.
Make a pressure plate release them when the invaders get in the middle.
For added fun have a ballista or catapult at the A

XXXXX|__A_#BBBBB__^_________CCCPCC____________D
E______________/    |_|

P is for pressure plate

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:27:16 am »

Hmm... I can just imagine the suprise of the invaders from that.

"Hey boss? What was that click?"
"Oh crap, their coming out of the walls!"

Then comes the fun of keeping the melee dwarfs stocked with food. Best solution I can think of is build a food/booze stockpile one level down, with direct access to the cubbie with doors or hatches to lock out haulers or soldiers depending on state of the stockpile. As dumping it in could cause some problems.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 12:38:07 am »

You could provide direct access to the cubby holes from your fortress. That would be an easy and safe way to get soldiers and haulers down there, as long as the doors to your murder corridor are mechanically operated. And to keep the soldiers from leaving and going off to drink their favorite booze, you could keep a different set of doors that you could lock manually. That way, the only way to the booze is through the goblins, which would make your dwarves fight harder, methinks.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:29 am »

You could provide direct access to the cubby holes from your fortress. That would be an easy and safe way to get soldiers and haulers down there, as long as the doors to your murder corridor are mechanically operated. And to keep the soldiers from leaving and going off to drink their favorite booze, you could keep a different set of doors that you could lock manually. That way, the only way to the booze is through the goblins, which would make your dwarves fight harder, methinks.
"Come on Urist, there be gobbo's to slaughter!"
"But Alath, I dislike fighting and am a recently recruited soapmaker."
"The booze stockpile is down at the other end of the hallway."
"*Dwarven rum* here I come!"
The recruit explodes into a lump of gore
"Oi, that's gotta hurt."

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 01:49:34 am »

Just had a great Idea.
rig a pressure plate to drop military dwarves from above via hatch or floorgrate.
one Z drops will stun momentarily, but leave them ready in a second or two.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:25 am »

I use something a bit like this but with the marksdwarves aboveground (4 z levels) its apparently harder to shoot through fortifications from further away.  I also have a moat that goes around about 1/4 of the map with 6 bridges over it all hooked to one lever.  Once all of the gobbos are over the bridges pull the lever and suddenly there is nowhere for my iron crop to run.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.