Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfputers, Part two: idea's for, parts of a computer, other than 'cpu's'.  (Read 641 times)

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile

This thread deals with parts of a Dwarfputer, other than a 'cpu' unit. Examples being 'memory', 'screen's', and other devices. This section encourages the use of multiple types of logic, including (but not limited to) fluid, mechanical, borg, and animal logic's.

_-Summary of ideas, in this post-_

All ideas, will be sorted, by importance, in relevant catergorys
Major ideas will be sorted in a summeray of all points in the Dwarfputers section under the Summary subsection.
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile

Memory

What i was planing to use as a memory 'cell' for dwarfputer ideas. It uses a combination of both mechaincal and fluid logic to attain the 'nil' state in a turring machine as well as the standerd 0 and 1.

The unit improposing looks like this

###*###
#~/ /^~#
#######
#=Wall
~=Water supply, controled by hatches
/ =screw pump
^=pressure plate
*= gears

What this unit does is transmits either a 0, or 1 via the pressure plate and a 0, o 1 via the gears

the 3 states

0 being 0,0 from both transmitters
1 being 1,1
and nil being 0 from the pressure plate and 1 from the gears/ power supply

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been working on a dwarf calculator, not sure how its going to turn out but so far its only in the planning stage.

Here is my "screen"
+=floor #=floodgate

+++++
+###+
+#+#+
+###+
+#+#+
+###+
+++++
thats 15 grates or floodsgates or whatever i decide to use and just floor around it.
 there will be 10 pressure plates hooked up so that they create all ten numbers, which i will hook up to my cpu (using AND, OR , and NOR gates)

I am using water as electricity btw.

I'll post more details if you want. :D

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile

looks good
look on this thread a counter was made there using hatchs + water supplys i like your idea though is speeds up reaction times

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29459.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:42:46 pm by aaaabaaccaadfda »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile

Can a grate be placed in a position where it is supported by nothing but other adjacent grates? Would it fall if they were all "opened" at once?

The reason I ask... it occurs to me that the most visually pleasing "DF CRT display" would be one where all the pixel elements were together, as part of a single monolithic section of the screen (instead of each pixel being separately surrounded by its own functional infrastructure); and this could be done by positioning a stockpile of white rocks directly on top of a grid of grates (individually controlled by logic), and dropping the selected "pixel" boulders onto an identical grid of empty grates one level below. The initially empty grate-grid at z-1 would be your "screen".

... of course, you could display only one image per z-level... a 30-level Fortress could display one second of video footage. Not bad...
Never pet a burning dog.