Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do cavern collapses destroy the stone beneath them?  (Read 1038 times)

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do cavern collapses destroy the stone beneath them?
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »

I'm doing some major excavation, and using successive collapse methods to hollow out my rooms, so I dig out an area, then go to the z level beneath, dig out that area, and put a pillar connected lever in there, then I channel around the perimeter of the area above, and pull the lever, causing the whole area to collapse, creating a quick vaulted ceiling. Anyways, I need the stone that's left behind, but I don't want to have to haul it all right away. Will the collapsing ceiling destroy the stone? What if it collapses through multiple z levels?

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do cavern collapses destroy the stone beneath them?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

This sounds interesting to me. Care to copy your dwarf fortress file and test this out?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »

I think that collapses do not destroy stone.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:38 am »

Ok, well, I'll just save scum and test it out, and take a video of it for your viewing pleasure, since it's going to be an epic collapse, but the digging isn't going to be done for a while.

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:57 am »

I made the video, but the file size is too large. It's hard to tell wether the stone gets destroyed, since the stone gets scattered, but judging by the density I'd guess that it does not.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:21 am »

collapsting stone survives, and in the cave in dust storm it scatters like crazy and normally makes its way to the lowest point possible. one really unfortunate thing it does do is destroy carved or natural ramps, which messed me around once with a large underground pyramid i was carving.

also, when you drop one tile of floor onto another below, the falling floor tile will change the tile of stone beneath it to its own type. as in, i wanted a massive dining room with domed roof, and now as a result of some accidents it has spots of rough microcline cavern floor mixed in with the orthoclase engravings. you could conceivably use this to drop bits of a valuable ore vein multiple z levels down into your nobles quarters to make a valuable engravable floor. when i get around to it ill find out if you can drop constructed floors for the same effect.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »

My only cave-in so far caused a stack of rhyolite rocks at the bottom.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »

collapsing rock seems to destroy constructed floors, as I discovered while channeling out the top of my cliffside glass tower in one of my forts. The floor chunk went through the floor below, destroying it, and then crushed a masterwork statue. A recruit also died, but he was an immigrant anyways.I'm not sure if cave-ins destroy loose rock or other items, but they certainly destroy constructions.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:18 pm »

It doesnt, it just adds to the pile. For example, if you collapse 2 floors onto nothing, youll get 2 of the ore that were in the higher 2 z levels that just collapsed in a pile together.

Convoluted, so let me explain.

1 tile > you collapse 2 tiles on it. The 2 rock types of that collapsed section are now in the tile you collapsed them into.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:59:13 pm »

If you really want to destroy stone just build a catapult down there and leave siege engineers to practice with it. When it hits the wall it's destroyed (as long as it doesn't fall down a channel...for some reason then it sticks around.)