Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lusternia- a MUD  (Read 6810 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lusternia- a MUD
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »

Sounds interesting, but I don't play games like this out of principle. I'd rather play a true free game than play this "free to play" game, but have to pay to be any good.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »

There have been several good discussions and recommendations earlier on this forum.  I used to like Iron Realms MUDs, but got sick of the pay-for-perks model.

I'll repeat my favorite muds IMO (which are all free to play, without perks):

Accursed Lands: Best Role-playing MUD I've seen.  This is an absolutely amazing game, and a must try.  Beats other RP MUDs like Armageddon and DartMUD hands down.
Shattered Kingdoms:  Great mix of RP and hacknslash.  Best room descriptions in a MUD.
Discworld: Best cities in a MUD, with huge world and very fun class system.

Google them for links, and more info.  I think the above are the cream of the crop as far as mudding goes, and I've played a LOT of muds.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 01:10:39 pm »

I read an article the other day about "ZT online" which is apparently a chinese online game built entirely on the "pay-for-things" plan. It's caters to the richer chinese citizens that would prefer to buy success instead of spending large amounts of time to earn it.

It's creators are apparently the most heinous people on the planet, it would seem. Thats just what I can infer though, after reading this article.

http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/gambling_your_life_away_in_zt.php

/derail

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 01:15:33 pm »

can you gather a group of people, find an empty spot, and build walls, towers, weapons, until you have a fortress? or do you scavange and buy everything?
I have always dreamed of playing an online game like this. With elements from Notrium, Stranded II, Unreal World, And Dwarf Fortress. It would be the best game ever.

EDIT:I'm describing a game where players can have the skills and tools to do everything the GMs can do. Build cities, create every item, delve deep mountain halls, and do everything to create their own world.

My ideal MUD would have minimal GM intrusion, they wouldn't be gods, they wouldn't be "immortals", you wouldn't have to kowtow to them, They would neither be seen nor heard. There would be a distinction between IC rules (Murdering, stealing, making war, slavery, torture, and harassment.) and OOC rules (Cheating, Multiplaying, Abusing bugs, etc.). IC crimes would be punished IC and OOC crimes would be punished OOC.

That doesn't mean that there would be no plot, Through seemingly random events the GMs would be able to influence the world in a wide range of ways. It would just be left up to the players to react to these events.

I'm sure this MUD will never come but I'm waiting for it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:29:12 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 01:50:16 pm »

can you gather a group of people, find an empty spot, and build walls, towers, weapons, until you have a fortress? or do you scavange and buy everything?
I have always dreamed of playing an online game like this. With elements from Notrium, Stranded II, Unreal World, And Dwarf Fortress. It would be the best game ever.

EDIT:I'm describing a game where players can have the skills and tools to do everything the GMs can do. Build cities, create every item, delve deep mountain halls, and do everything to create their own world.

My ideal MUD would have minimal GM intrusion, they wouldn't be gods, they wouldn't be "immortals", you wouldn't have to kowtow to them, They would neither be seen nor heard. There would be a distinction between IC rules (Murdering, stealing, making war, slavery, torture, and harassment.) and OOC rules (Cheating, Multiplaying, Abusing bugs, etc.). IC crimes would be punished IC and OOC crimes would be punished OOC.

That doesn't mean that there would be no plot, Through seemingly random events the GMs would be able to influence the world in a wide range of ways. It would just be left up to the players to react to these events.

I'm sure this MUD will never come but I'm waiting for it anyway.

It's not a MUD, but I'm building something similar to what you describe.  See my sig.  :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 02:09:16 pm »

There are a few muds like that, sadly they are too empty to be enjoyable.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »

is it 3-D or text? does it have animation? what are the names of these MUD's. and if it doesnt take place in a dungeon why arent they called MMO's?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »

MUD means that it will, apart from possibly the interface, be all text. MMO offers the possibility of pictures, so I believe that is why they are called MUD's though I may be wrong.

Also while we are on the topic of an ideal game, mine would be mostly society sim. I'd know I was doing it right when my playerbase tore apart a bunch of newcomers for not following one or other of the player enforced rules. I'd love it if an evil warlord took over and ruled a town with an iron fist, until every citizen rose against him and overthrew him. I'd want it to be dynamic, and although there would be admins, they would have no special protection (to stop them abusing what powers they had) and their main purpose would be to tell me what worked in-game and what didn't, and to improve the game, and possibly create new events.

Unlikely to come true, but I can always dream.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 06:27:29 pm »

basically, a 3-D reality.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 06:32:10 pm »

Hell no! Im a massive fantasy fan, and as cool as it would be to see the first few clans of the original player base evolve into countries and governments, I'd put my foot down somewhere. Probably in the form of a massive catastrophe that returns things to anarchy, cause I'm evil like that.

And how is a 3-D reality different from reality :P Simulated reality might be better, but I most definitely would not want it to be that. No point in playing the game if it was. I would simply like the social structures to be a lot more realistic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 07:33:51 pm »

you can get away with anything and you never truly die ;)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

Oh no, there will (or should I say would, as it is unlikely to ever exist) be permadeath, but with a twist to avoid loss of uber characters - fight your way outta hell and you don't lose your character (I'm beginning to think I'm a bit TOO cruel to be a GM :P)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:15 pm »

we could start out as cavemen, then have to do everything on our own and discover technology.

T-Rex vs steam powered robot...lol thats so gonna happen if a game like that is made

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 09:23:04 pm »

In the-little-ideal-game-in-my-head ( :P) the players would slowly evolve over time, with the addition of new playerbases that experimented with different things not done before, discovering things put in there by me that earlier players hadn't noticed. Unrealistic I know, but you gotta dream.

Also T-Rex vs steam powered robot would be a bit imbalanced - unless the robot is giant or has some formidable weaponry (unlikely, its steam powered) it is doomed.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:11 pm »

i said steam powered because its a technology that only needs water metal and fire to make. not silicon with microchips and steel witch requires a huge forge and oxidation. if we were in the stoneage we could prbably build a gaint steam powered robot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4