Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Lusternia- a MUD  (Read 6808 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lusternia- a MUD
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:57 pm »

RetroMud probably has one of the longest race/class lists among MUDs, which is definitely cool.  The thing I didn't like in it, though, was the fact that you have to stay at an Inn or castle to save your equipment (of course, when you're new, you get it back when you re-login - but that's kind of lame anyway).  A new character has no idea where to find an inn, or much less know how to gain money to pay for an inn, so I've always hated MUDs that require this.

That and the fact that RetroMud is so dependent on a party to succeed.  I like soloing it in MUDs.

Discworld has a really good class system as well, and possibly the best newbie tutorial I've seen before.  Overall, it's really a tightly programmed MUD.  It would be my favorite if I didn't hate Terry Pratchet's setting so much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:02:48 pm by lumin »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 02:30:35 pm »

Yeah, it's true that the whole 'saving equipment' thing is annoying.  Really though, newbie equipment isn't all that terrible.  It's also quite possible to farm solo without any equipment even past newbie levels as long as you're a fallen (autoloading fellblade), a monk (yay fists), or pretty much any blaster.  At level 30+, though, you need to be either a tank with equipment or in a party to farm well, and at 40+ you really need equipment and party.

Of course race changes things too.  An abjurer usually can't solo well at all, but a werewolf abjurer has an impressive bite attack and can really do okay.  An atomy (pixie, really) biomancer (hermetic healer) will have trouble ever soloing.  But a dragon biomancer?  That's a different story.

OTOH, at level 15 and below, there is NO point in having equipment at all...so...yeah.  The loot you get from most random enemies is literally worse than your newbie equipment, especially at low levels.  This isn't a game like Aardwolf where you clear an area, then take a big pile of loot to get identified, and carefully swap out your equipment for new stuff every two levels...  Real nice equipment is usually gotten from boss monsters, or bought from other players that killed them (for reasonable prices).  And early on your gold is way better spent on training!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:32:47 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 07:16:03 am »

In Retro you can build your own castle, though it's quite expensive--for a dedicated lowish-level player, I'd say it's about two weeks of killing critters for gold and not spending any of it on your skills to afford it.

Hiring NPCs is generally a far more minor thing.  Merchants can rent out shops long-term but that's pretty rare and generally not considered interesting, plus I think that's reeeally expensive.  Many guilds can hire specific NPC pets for shorter amounts of time.

Thanks for the infos!  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]