Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lusternia- a MUD  (Read 6809 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lusternia- a MUD
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 09:44:08 pm »

Stone age implies no metal. I doubt if it's feasible to create something like that out of rock.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 10:27:57 pm »

stone age implies no use of metal in technology so i guess it would change if we started using metal. but my point is, things will turn out bizzare and insane with the rapid limited increase of technology. and since you cant die extremly dangerous stupid things will be accomplished.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 11:29:54 pm »

What are we talking about here? I'm confused, as I see no game mentioned where you can't die ???
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 12:10:19 am »

fantasy make-up games lol. we are just spoting nonsense about what the ultimate game will be

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:57 am »

nt
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:16:22 am by Grek »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:45 pm »

Hey Lumin, what are your thoughts on Aardwolf? Not so much on the RP side of things, but good for people like me who need to be eased into the genre. Played a coupla hours and so far am loving it. (Oh and its completley free except for donations, which, when at a high enough point, give THE WORLD a ten min 2x experience bonus)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:11 pm »

he's about to portal home so he can hide you in the chefs guild where he can bind you and torture you.
Wierdness... This game may be worth a look.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32:59 pm »

Hey Lumin, what are your thoughts on Aardwolf? Not so much on the RP side of things, but good for people like me who need to be eased into the genre. Played a coupla hours and so far am loving it. (Oh and its completley free except for donations, which, when at a high enough point, give THE WORLD a ten min 2x experience bonus)

Aardwolf is probably a pretty good choice for new MUD players.  Personally, I didn't like it so much because it always felt like the WoW of MUDs - too many power-gamers.

If your looking for more graphics and a good way to ease into muds, I recommend BatMUD.  It has a really slick client, a really nice player sign-up, and good admins.  They will often hold global events like wars, where a massive army of creatures will invade the capital city, and the players have to work together in platoons to defend it.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:06 pm »

Best part about the Aardwolf is (in my opinion) the find and speedwalks options. Never again shall I be lost! I'll try BatMUD once I wear out AardWolf

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 01:51:27 am »

Damn, BatMUD got old fast. Not much to do other than grind though - and I REALLY hate games that pit you against embarassing enemies - oh look, I'm strong enough to fight a sparrow now! Whoop de woo! However I'm a bit tentative about BatMUD because of all the races. That many races scare me, as they will no doubt all be precisely balanced in such a way that I will almost definitely pick the wrong one. Also, most MUDs either have the classic Lord of The Rings/D&D races (which get boring) or races of their own imagining, but BatMUD has both! Although I must admit, playing as a skeleton is tempting ;D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:01 pm »

Batmud?  Ha.  Try retromud instead.  They forked off from each other, like...I dunno, fifteen years ago, something about some misconduct on the Batmud side, and have nothing in common now.  Retro's fairly populous, and is heavily party oriented.  Fighting and casting by trigger are super discouraged, about as far as triggers go is that most tanks have triggers to tell their party when protective spells fail.  It's fairly well enforced too.  But the players and staff are hugely friendly.

Check out all their races and all their guilds, on that webpage.

There's lots of races but if you ask what the best fit for a given guild is, you can prune it down to like 10-20 or so, and they're pretty much all viable (just don't play a race that's hurt by sunlight as a newbie, because that's pretty crummy...and being able to see in the dark and light both is useful)

There's some people who RP a fair amount but in general there's a low level of it.  And...let's see...for guilds, you pick one primary guild, and that primary lets you pick from a list of secondary guilds at level 20+, and that secondary gives you some tertiary guilds to pick from.  You can also take a handful of levels from other secondaries or primaries, so your guild choice is likely to be fairly unique (I've got a satyr who's a mage geomancer and also going to take some slinger, some bard, some telemancer...)

And while walking around new areas in cities (not overworld) gives you free experience early on, it won't take long at all before you're beating up various sentients.  So no, you're not beating up on sparrows for hours.

Um...Essentially no player killing (though there's occasional arena-style wars for fun), and while a tank or blasterish sort of person can solo alright, past level 15 or so you'll definately want a party of 2 or more, as many as 8, when you can find 'em.  Oh yeah and levels go up to 100.

While it DOES have the 'donate for stuff!' thing that more annoying muds have, you can't turn your donation straight into gold, can't use it for XP, you mostly use it for 'wishes' which are largely inane things like 'yay, now I can fly without a spell or specialized equipment, now I can fill out two secondary guilds, and other things that won't even help you out until your character is much higher level anyway'.  So it really isn't a huge advantage at all.

You really have a lot of choice between high-stress and low-stress characters, too.  In general only tanks can lead parties, so it's a good idea to play one at first, and they're good for soloing, but can be a bit dangerous to play as at higher levels since you're the one leading the party.  Healers (biomancers mostly, but also templars, cultists, druids...) have a very stressful life and are great to play if you're really on the ball.  Blasters (tons of classes) are a bit more relaxed since they're not really 'driving', I mean they have to know what's going on, can figure out the best spells against a given enemy and (of course) don't want to cast a spell that'll get reflected at them, but they're fun for more casual stuff.  Abjurers cast tons of protection spells and if you're very lazy and casual you'll like them a lot, since at low levels you cast most of your stuff outside of combat!  Tons of classes are multi-role and of course you get much more complex as you go higher, but there's something for everyone.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:49:03 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:26 pm »

I supose by 'Blaster' you mean what I would call a 'nuker'? Someone with high damage low health, like a wizard? Cause those are always my favourite class ;D

Note: My use of nukers corresponds to my high death rates in all games - I like 'em but I'm usually not good with them.  :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »

Yeah, in Retro 'blaster' specifically implies a mid-row character too, someone who really doesn't want to stand in the front row of parties.  Higher-bulk armor often interferes with their skill% in casting spells, and in addition to lower hit points, that makes blasters really vulnerable to getting stunned by a big melee hit.

Of course, they still need SOME hit points.  Just because you're in the midrow doesn't mean the enemy doesn't have area attacks, or archers backing him up, or even the area itself is a little dangerous to stand in.  Which just means that your abjurers are even busier, putting all kinds of spells on the tanks up front, more specialized things for the midrow to protect them against the damage types that hit the midrow, a small whole-party defense spell, etc...  And then you start wanting two biomancers against the real big things, healing the tanks, casting party heals, though druids are a good substitute these days...maybe even three biomancers if you have two tanks, but then you'd start running out of blasters that can fit in the party, and you start wanting a biomancer with damage spells, a tank that brings his own prots...

Naturally, you're a lot safer if you can kill your enemies in one hit.  In fact one of the safest and most fun things for a newbie mage or psionicist etc is to join up with a newbie monk or fallen or something, hide in the midrow behind them, and blow up little monsters that you do just enough damage to kill in one spell...and sometimes you fail your spell, or decide to hit something bigger, and the tank soaks up damage while you blow it up all safe and sound...  Then again life is ALWAYS fun with almost ANY class hiding behind a tank, whether you're blowing stuff up or healing him or protecting him so he takes vastly less damage, or sniping with a crossbow and cutting gems the two of you find...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:09:25 pm by Sowelu »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 07:18:00 am »

Hm this looks like interesting an interesting MUD...I was trying to find some informations about the following, but I have failed: Can you build your own house/castle? Can you hire NPCs?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:33 pm »

In Retro you can build your own castle, though it's quite expensive--for a dedicated lowish-level player, I'd say it's about two weeks of killing critters for gold and not spending any of it on your skills to afford it.

Hiring NPCs is generally a far more minor thing.  Merchants can rent out shops long-term but that's pretty rare and generally not considered interesting, plus I think that's reeeally expensive.  Many guilds can hire specific NPC pets for shorter amounts of time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4