Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken Glass...  (Read 1414 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Broken Glass...
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:22:11 pm »

do vials droped from a high enough height break?
Do barrels?

I'm thinking about making an explosive extract (possible), but if there's no way do move it from vial to air without having a dwarf present on the same tile it is not worth the work. if I could drop it down a hole and have the vial/barrel break at the bottom, however... suddenly fortress defense murder-holes are possible. Even if the thing just spills, that'd be fine, too.

I'm fine with having to buy the extract premade from traders if it requires a barrel. that's fine. I just want to drop boiling oil on the damn hippie elves and watch them BURN.

(caged) flying pet imp-creatures are my backup plan. That's... slightly more dangerous.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Glass...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:29:28 pm »

Only living things explode when dropped far enough.

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 01:49:36 pm »

Drop magma from a hatch-covered ceiling above your entrance?
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:11 pm »

Drop magma from a hatch-covered ceiling above your entrance?

pfah. overdone, and that's not boiling oil. that's... boiling ROCK. I want to get rid of all the clothing, but still be able to harvest all that wonderful armor.

penguinofhonor - Only living things? Dang. Thanks for saving me a lot of testing-work. THis really should be changed (maybe it already is beign changed). Glass vials should break (and their contents asplode).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:53:17 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »

Elves do not have wonderful armor. It is large, and wooden. So you can not melt it. And if you are playing a dwarf fortress, you can not wear it either. And if you have a human fortress, you are trading iron armor for weaker wood armor.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:13:20 pm »

Just so you know, oil was too valuable in the time frame DF is based in to just dump it on invaders.  It was needed for precious things like heating and lighting.  Boiling water was used instead.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:31 pm »

Just so you know, oil was too valuable in the time frame DF is based in to just dump it on invaders.  It was needed for precious things like heating and lighting.  Boiling water was used instead.

Maybe so. But my dwarves will spare no expense. They would buy Inflammable Whale Extract (which I modded in) at 1000$ a barrel just for this purpose... if they didn't have to take it out of the barrel before dumping it on the enemy, thus lighting themSELVES on fire, and saving the goblins they were dumping it on the work of killing them.
[/quote]

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:01:23 am »

Well if you were to find a way to ignite wooden barrels, their contents would then spill out.

You could lay a line of barrels out and ignite one end with magma, the fire would spread... and I assume rapidly so since the contents were so gnarly.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:12:46 am »

Maybe so. But my dwarves will spare no expense. They would buy Inflammable Whale Extract (which I modded in) at 1000$ a barrel just for this purpose... if they didn't have to take it out of the barrel before dumping it on the enemy, thus lighting themSELVES on fire, and saving the goblins they were dumping it on the work of killing them.

Give them fire proof gloves.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:11 am »

penguinofhonor - Only living things? Dang.

Whoa, hey, don't be too quick to dismiss living things.  Can you make a critter that's very firey on the inside?  I read about fire imps having fat that burns when they're butchered.  Then, just pit your tame fire critter into a murder hole, and wait...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:10:21 am »

set up some hatches connected to a lever over the elves, and dump your oil filled barrels on top of them. create a 'wick' made of a dumped log on top of a grate. Pour magma over the log so it lights on fire, and wait for the fire to spread to the barrels. Pull the lever to drop the flaming barrels of oil on the elves.

Note that I'm not 100% sure this will work - chances are the magma will simply destroy the log rather then light it on fire. It's worth a shot though.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:04 am »

set up some hatches connected to a lever over the elves, and dump your oil filled barrels on top of them. create a 'wick' made of a dumped log on top of a grate. Pour magma over the log so it lights on fire, and wait for the fire to spread to the barrels. Pull the lever to drop the flaming barrels of oil on the elves.

Note that I'm not 100% sure this will work - chances are the magma will simply destroy the log rather then light it on fire. It's worth a shot though.

I'd have to use Coal. From what I hear, logs don't work that way. Also - I'm told you can just build a roadway out of coal, to use as a "wick". My extract lights upon release from the confines of a barrel/flask, if I use this method I may as well use Booze, from what I hear of booze bombs.
All this still requires magma, however, and for framerate purposes, RP purposes, simplification purposes, "trade goods being useful" purposes... it's sometimes better to not use magma. Crazy, I know.

Also - when we can load custom things into a catapult... don't you want explosive projectiles without making the catapult a "!!catapult!!" ?

originally my extract was a venom. But until "bites" actually inject a "venom impurity" or somesuch into a layer in a creature's body, liquid-fire venom is kinda useless.
[/quote]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:14:25 am »

Booze bombs are a myth - the booze evaporates into a harmless booze-steam cloud that happens to be red and thus look like an explosion. Might as well save the effort and use empty barrels.

But, back on track, I don't think you can break barrels/vials/etc at all without fire. Extreme cold MIGHT damage them, but I doubt it and there is no way to get that, anyway.

The only thing I can think of is to create a metal that ignites at a slightly higher then cave temperature, then make barrels out of that to stick your extract in. Unfortunately, it won't work in the winter (or possibly at all depending on your map's temperatures) so it's not the perfect solution. You could still make it an import if you want by having traders sell something like inert explodium and make a custom smelter reaction that turns a bar of inert explodium into a bar of activated explodium. While you are at it, you could add yet another reaction that turns activated explodium into an explodium stone to fire from catapults I suppose.

Edit: I guess the extract isn't really needed if you have flaming barrels, so maybe just drop blocks of the stuff instead, heh.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!