Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground Roads  (Read 2791 times)

Poobar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Underground Roads
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:20:25 am »

I found a tunnel leading off from the base of a dwarf fort in adventure mode- very straight, about 6 tiles wide. I thought- ooh! An underground road! ...and followed it.

It was very, very long. I ate/drank through all of my rations. I finally gave in when I was dehydrated and near death, and the road crossed a chasm (by means of 2 enourmous bridges). Not wanting my corpse to litter such a lovely pathway I threw myself in.

Has anyone else come across one of these? Do they actually lead anywhere? And, with the absence of fast travel underground, is it possible to follow one without dying?

I'm assuming it was a road, of course- not paved, but very straight and wide- always wide enough for a caravan- with ramps to go up/down levels.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Roads
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:51:49 am »

It's an option in the entity file
Civilizations can build:
bridges
roads
tunnels

or, combinations thereof. If a civ can build tunnels, then they will build them between their cities, but only in mountainous areas, far as I can tell. And of course only during worldgen. Also - tunnels are kind of messed up right now. SOmetimes you get to your destination, and the stairs up are converted to a mysterious hole.

or you find that the pathing for the tunnel accidentally burst through into a river... that one's scary.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »

Actually, one traveled strait into a magma pipe. I noticed this first with my adventurer when my FPS began to suffer, and later when I was sprinting away from a 7 foot wall of firey doom.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »

Thats hillarious. I don't even consider that a bug. I mean, heck /we/ make mistakes. Stands to reason the real dwarves would mess a few things up too.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:59:45 pm »

I don't think we've ever accidentally dug a tunnel through an active volcano, though.
!!&!!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:02:59 pm »

It's great fun.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:22 pm »

Actually, one traveled strait into a magma pipe. I noticed this first with my adventurer when my FPS began to suffer, and later when I was sprinting away from a 7 foot wall of firey doom.

Makes me wonder what I can do with the volcanism settings of up to five hundred.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:27:52 pm »

Makes me wonder what I can do with the volcanism settings of up to five hundred.
Watch the never-ending flow of world rejects.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:25:13 pm »

my adventurer survived the flooding of the entire tunel (he was at a low point, if I recall) by standing where the staircase SHOULD have been (thus technically being "inside" the dwarven fortress above).. and retiring.

When I picked him up again I rationalised it by telling myself the dwarves fished him out, with amnesia no less. (did you know that your adventurer forgets the revealed map when he retires?)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:21 am »

To survive as long as possible, you should bring several filled waterskins, a full set of water coverings and large amounts of meat raided from towns and caves. In addition to these supplies, you should train up your speed.
To increase your speed without sacrificing the amount of meat and water you can carry, put a lot of the meat in a container and throw it forward while in the tunnel. When you find it, take what you need and throw it forward again.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 06:09:00 am »

Which would be really tedious, but would train throwing. Carefull not to chuck it into a chasm.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:56 am »

Wow. That's how I carry my backpack.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:44 am »

What really needs to be done is a method to fast track these underground traveling sections.

Traveling outside the Travel screen takes FOREVER!!!

CyberCube

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 03:12:16 am »

I started a dwarven adventurer at an empty goblin fortress my civilization had apparently conquered and left alone. I explored all three towers and found nothing of interest but some stairways leading down. I'd heard of underground tunnels before, and how dangerously long they were, but for some reason I went in anyway, knowing it would probably be suicidal. Boy, did I regret that. Once I found the right way (which took a little while because all the towers were connected underground, which I thought was kinda neat), I walked, ate, drank, walked some more, ate, drank, walked even more, ate, drank-oh, wait, scratch that. My canteen was dried up, and I was only saved from certain dehydration when I reached a point where the tunnel had breached the outside of a mountain, allowing me to exit and Travel far, far away.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »

Sounds just like good times to me.
Pages: [1] 2