Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baskets and thoughts  (Read 1013 times)

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baskets and thoughts
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »

I dont know if this has been suggested already but how about baskets to hold clothes or seeds so that dwfs dont have to move them one at a time?  Woven baskets, or pottery (i think was suggested b4).  Also, how about a plow being needed for advanced crops (if any are added later)?
Also, (probably not new) how about wooden fences outside?  Keeps dwfs in but not much out (for long).  And finally rewalling with blocks or brick.  It can make a new wall for blocking and room purposes but can be demolished like a door because any 1 square wall of stone is demolishable in real life but its if you know there is a tunnel on the other side that counts.  A brick wall is made by someone so attackers know to tunnel through it. discuss.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baskets and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:27:00 am »

i look forward to the wall-building being implemented myself, as it seems every time i decide to dig out rooms for my nobles i hit the biggest vein of ore in the mountain - which makes it very hard to detail the walls and pretty up the room.  also, (currently) prizing a gemstone from the wall between rooms leaves a hole that can only be sealed with a non-detailable floodgate (and if you remove that you have a channel).

how about modifying supports (already in the game, so they don't have to be coded in)so they are wall-sections instead that can be detailed?  just a thought.

cause of unexplainable mischief

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:03:00 am »

What about statues?  You can engrave the floor under them and pick a nice pretty statue for your nobles' wall.

As for the other suggestions, I think many of them are a matter of gameplay taste.  Baskets and fences seem to me less like a dwarvish thing.  Obviously, what a dwarf is and likes and does will vary dramatically, so I guess it depends on Toady's vision.  I like the idea of plowing.  I wonder if the mud in the mountain is really deep enough to make that necessary, though.  Maybe it could increase the chance of wild plants/trees growing on that spot?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:32:00 am »

However, do statues also acta as supports? AFAIK only natural walls and supports will prevent a collapse. If statues do not, perhaps a "solid statue", takes 2x the stone, and has a grey background (so it looks like a wall) could be used? This bugs me too. =D